PDA

View Full Version : monster hands on all in plays preflop

11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I've long bought into the conspiracy that cards are not random. I mean, how can there be so many bad beats on the river. The plausible explanation is that there are so many more hands per hour, so the likelihood of odd events occurring is also higher. I continue to play, so I'm trying to be level-headed and positive about the "randomness" of the cards.

My observation is this though, and I'd like comments from the veterans of the game. It's hard enough to catch a pair on the flop...33%. For instance, if I raise with AK and it's hard to hit that A or K on the flop. But it seems when two people are all-in preflop, monster hands suddenly appear. Everyone hits something. Most recent example I saw was 3 people all in...99 vs. 55 vs. AK. Flop came Kxx. Turn was a 9. River was a spade, giving the 55 a flush with the 5 of spades. Again, it's one hand and it can happen by chance. But I do notice more straights and flushes and full houses.

It's 33% to make a pair on the flop and showdowns are usually medium hand versus medium hand. However, when it's all in, it's full entertainment value more times than not.

Comments? Am I still in rookie mode thinking these things?

Thanks.

citanul
11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
comments:

you are wrong.

memory is selective, and you are wrong.

c

ps: note that on your hand example, neither player flopped anything good, even though all in preflop.

pergesu
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
You only notice those things that look strange.

Seriously, it's no different than at a live game. If you think otherwise, you're a dipshit.

11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
So I guess you just dont remember the times when 5 people were in and no one hit? seat 3 won with Queen high.

johnnybeef
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
You are definately still a rookie. My advice to you is to go and track a ton of hands in pokertracker. After 30-40k hands, things will begin to work themselves out.

splashpot
11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
You're probably not going to believe anyone here if you don't already believe it yourself. The only way to find out is to track thousands and thousands of hands, analyze them, and come to your conclusion that way.

11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. Except for the guy who called me a dipshit. Maybe it's just the disbelief at the time of seeing crazy hand after crazy hand. Since people here have played that many more hands and seem so sure that I'm crazy, then I'll go with that.

rbear
11-02-2005, 05:15 PM
tell jen harmon that amazing bad beats don't happen in live /images/graemlins/smirk.gif