PDA

View Full Version : food in new mexico

turnipmonster
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I love that everything in new mexico is smothered in red or green chile sauce. wife got sick of it quickly. what does everyone think about the food in new mexico?

--turnipmonster

imported_anacardo
11-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Being a Tex-Mex guy, some of the recipes are not to my taste, but NM chiles are delicious as hell.

jakethebake
11-02-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being a Tex-Mex guy, some of the recipes are not to my taste, but NM chiles are delicious as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

We think alike.

SL__72
11-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Never eaten in New Mexico but I do love things smothered in red or green chili sauce so that sounds good to me.

turnipmonster
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I always liked the chiles and also the sauce, but got a little sick of refried beans. what are the big differences between tex-mex and new mexican style food?

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Having grown up there, I miss it.

Also: Tex-Mex is garbage. Real Mexican food is where it's at.

If you get back there (dunno where you're from) stop off at a road side stand in late summer and get some fresh roasted chiles.

I miss the food.

turnipmonster
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I like real mexican food a lot. don't know that much about tex-mex, though. I've eaten mexican food in texas and thought it was pretty good though.

imported_anacardo
You're garbage. Your whole life is garbage. Everything you love is garbage. Garbage.

turnipmonster
where did you grow up btw? I really liked NM a lot, spent most of our time in gallup and albuquerque.

imported_anacardo
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't really know much about The Theory of NM-Style. Generally speaking, I would say that NM Style seems a little simpler and less rich than Tex-Mex.

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're garbage. Your whole life is garbage. Everything you love is garbage. Garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, my whole life is Tex-Mex food?

That sucks.

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where did you grow up btw? I really liked NM a lot, spent most of our time in gallup and albuquerque.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwest corner of NM, near the 4 corners. Little place called Navajo Dam. It's about 30 miles from Farmington, and about 25 miles from Durango, Co.

It was fun growing up there, with the fishing, hiking, camping and all that, but I'm so glad I got out. The economy is depressed and has been for years. I usually go back once a year or so to visit my grandparents.

Time stops in NM.

jakethebake
11-02-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also: Tex-Mex is garbage. Real Mexican food is where it's at.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite funny because New Mexican Food is different from Tex Mex is different from what most Mexicans in Mexico eat. How are you defining "Real Mexican Food"? You realize there are different regions of Mexico that eat VERY differently?

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:37 PM
yes, I realize that.

Ok, fine. A good buddy of mine back in the Corps married a woman from Guatemala. Their neighbors were Mexican. They cooked essentially the same things when they cooked "mexican" food.

Beans, rice, meat, tortillas of some sort. The staples of good mexican.

Tex-mex is an offshot of Mexican food that for some reason Texans think is good. It isn't. Bland BS. (And I spent the first 10 years of my life in Texas, as I was born there, then moved to Huntsville shortly after a stint in Houston, so I've eaten my fair share of the [censored].)

But whatever, I won't sway your opinion, you won't change mine. Consider it a moot point.

turnipmonster
11-02-2005, 02:38 PM
I think you should expound on the differences between texmex and new mexican, as I am interested.

jakethebake
11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tex-mex is an offshot of Mexican food that for some reason Texans think is good. It isn't. Bland BS. (And I spent the first 10 years of my life in Texas, as I was born there, then moved to Huntsville shortly after a stint in Houston, so I've eaten my fair share of the [censored].)

But whatever, I won't sway your opinion, you won't change mine. Consider it a moot point.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandfather lived in New Mexico my whole life so I've had my share of that food too. It's good. Just different. You might not like Tex-Mex, but good Tex mex is far from bland. That's just crazy talk.

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's just crazy talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am [censored] nuts dude. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

xadrez
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Theres a place called the Owl Cafe, a couple hours south of Albequerque that is off the side of the road. They make [censored] awesome hamburgers

EDIT: To say that the Owl Cafe is in San Antonio, NM...near Truth or Consequences...