SS - Jeter
3B - Eric Chavez
OF - Torii Hunter
OF - Vernon Wells
OF - Ichiro

pokerdirty
11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
The above are the AL obviously.

We know Kenny Rogers is good with his hand when it comes to the cameras, but Gold Glove? Torii Hunter missed the last 2 months. VARITEK?!?!? HAHAHAHA!!!!

What a [censored] joke.

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Jeter? Mmmmm, OK.

Popularity contest again.

They should combine the Gold Gloves with the Golden Gloves, and have the winners from each league beat the crap out of each other.

Boris
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
these things are meaningless. Even the official Atheletics fan blog was questioning the gold glove for Chavez.

pryor15
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
at least Raffy didn't win again.

TheRover
11-02-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these things are meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a [censored] joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. How Manny didn't get one is beyond me. I'm considering giving up on baseball completely. [censored] this [censored].

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
the NL owns the AL when it comes to defense.

I wonder if Francoeur played long enough this year to be considered?

bugstud
11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the NL owns the AL when it comes to defense.

I wonder if Francoeur played long enough this year to be considered?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not

Shajen
11-02-2005, 02:55 PM
you think so?

The kid had a ton of assists, and could reach everything hit his way. An awesome addition to Andruw in Center.

(I'm also a homer when it comes to baseball) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cdxx
11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What a [censored] joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. How Manny didn't get one is beyond me. I'm considering giving up on baseball completely. [censored] this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

because the award is primarily defensive. manny had a flukey season by recording a lot of assists, but his errors and range are something to be desired. plus, outfield gold gloves are not split into RF, CF, LF. defensively, manny is not even as good as damon, much less the rest of the league.

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What a [censored] joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because the award is primarily defensive. manny had a flukey season by recording a lot of assists, but his errors and range are something to be desired. plus, outfield gold gloves are not split into RF, CF, LF. defensively, manny is not even as good as damon, much less the rest of the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn on the sarcasm detector, dude.

cdxx
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, ok. detector on. sarcasm away. i am ready for you now.

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, ok. detector on. sarcasm away. i am ready for you now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant that the "Why didn't Manny win one" comment was almost assuredly sarcastic.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

andyfox
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Jeter has apparently improved his fielding the last couple of years. At least according to range factor and zones rating. How a guy who played for eight years suddenly incrased his range factor and zone rating is a mystery to me.

But what do you guys think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fiel...umn=rangeFactor (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2005&seasonType=2&split= 82&sortColumn=rangeFactor)

cdxx
11-02-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No, I meant that the "Why didn't Manny win one" comment was almost assuredly sarcastic.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. this time i was joking. thanks for explaining the manny comment to me.

LoaferGee12
11-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Hunter? Chavez? wtf

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How a guy who played for eight years suddenly incrased his range factor and zone rating is a mystery to me

[/ QUOTE ]

The theory I've heard (and I'm not really good at crunching stats, so I can't prove/disprove) is that Jeter's sub-par range at short is being covered up by A-Rod's superior range at third; to wit, A-Rod gets to a lot of balls that are traditionally the shortstop's, so Jeter has less missed chances. I don't know enough about the stats to know if this is true or not, but it makes sense to me, as Jeter's stats spiked when A-Rod started playing third there, but visually there's nothing different, he's still just a step-and-dive fielder.

cdxx
11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
there's also a theory that Jeter started working on fielding a lot more when ARod got there, because ARod was consistently better than Jeter defensively. part of the deal for ARod might have been that Jeter had to brush up in order to stay at SS.

i am not saying that Jeter has a poor work ethic, but when a better player comes on the team, the captain has to make sure he deserves the defensive spot.

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's also a theory that Jeter started working on fielding a lot more when ARod got there, because ARod was consistently better than Jeter defensively. part of the deal for ARod might have been that Jeter had to brush up in order to stay at SS.

i am not saying that Jeter has a poor work ethic, but when a better player comes on the team, the captain has to make sure he deserves the defensive spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

But would he be able to just "improve" that quickly? As Andy suggested, it's hard to believe that a guy who has been playing for so many years at the same position (even int he same park) would be able to suddenly improve his game like that.

tdarko
11-02-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We know Kenny Rogers is good with his hand when it comes to the cameras, but Gold Glove?

[/ QUOTE ]
he is unbelievable around the mound. it is amazing he doesn't have more errors considering how many balls he gets to. nobody gets off the mound quicker than kenny, he has been one of the best around the mound for years.

pokerdirty
11-02-2005, 06:15 PM
tdarko, my ignorance is showing on that one. i don't pay attention to pitchers defensive skills. i just hope that they can throw strikes and get people out.

sublime
11-02-2005, 06:48 PM
jeter went from being awful at SS (yes kids, he was that bad) to average during arod year one to above average in year two of arod at 3b. the x factor is obvious.

only in NY can the best baseball player in the world be underrated and overlooked.

Dynasty
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
NL Gold Gloves: Maddux wins 15th (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2211848)

2005 NL Gold Glove winners

P Greg Maddux, Chi. Cubs 15

C Mike Matheny, San Francisco 4

1B Derrek Lee, Chi. Cubs 2

2B Luis Castillo, Florida 3

SS Omar Vizquel, San Francisco 10

3B Mike Lowell, Florida 1

OF Andruw Jones, Atlanta 8

OF Jim Edmonds, St. Louis 8

OF Bobby Abreu, Philadelphia 1

Victor
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
belliard not winning at 2nd is a huge travesty.

Oski
11-02-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But would he be able to just "improve" that quickly? As Andy suggested, it's hard to believe that a guy who has been playing for so many years at the same position (even int he same park) would be able to suddenly improve his game like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that with A-Rod's range, Jeter can cheat more towards second base.

Sluss
11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OF Bobby Abreu, Philadelphia 1

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty bad. Abreu is close to being the third best defensive outfielder on the Phillies and Pat Burrell is in left field.

Of course that does make up for the fact that Jimmy Rollins is a much better fielder at this point than Omar Vizquel. And FWIW, so is Adam Everett. But, Everett will probably never win one because he is not good enough at the plate. And yes, I know this is a fielding award.

wh1t3bread
11-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Rollins is good and its close, but Vizquel still has the edge. Vizquel had a .988 fielding percentage, 426 assists, 81 DP's and 8 errors in about 1300 innnings. Rollins had a .981 FP, 411 assists, 80 DP's and 12 errors in about 1350 innings.

Vizquel is deserving.

Jack of Arcades
11-03-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeter has apparently improved his fielding the last couple of years. At least according to range factor and zones rating. How a guy who played for eight years suddenly incrased his range factor and zone rating is a mystery to me.

But what do you guys think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fiel...umn=rangeFactor (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2005&seasonType=2&split= 82&sortColumn=rangeFactor)

[/ QUOTE ]

His UZR this year was still the worst for all shortstops.

andyfox
11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
I remember last year, Jeter said it was his best year. He said especially defensively, he felt he was an improved player. So there might be something in what you say about his consciously making an effort to improve defensively.

andyfox
11-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Does A-Rod definitely have greater range than did, say, Aaron Boone or Scott Brosius?

cokehead
11-03-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1B Derrek Lee, Chi. Cubs 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee has now won both the silver slugger and golden glove awards, being voted the best offensive first baseman in the league, as well as the best defensive first baseman. And somehow Pujols, another first baseman in the league, will likely be MVP. doesn't seem right.

technologic
11-04-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jeter went from being awful at SS (yes kids, he was that bad) to average during arod year one to above average in year two of arod at 3b. the x factor is obvious.

only in NY can the best baseball player in the world be underrated and overlooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean sublime? arod PWNS. i turn on numb/encore every time he steps to plate cause he's ready to cook some raw with the brooklyn boys.