PDA

View Full Version : David Sklansky v Bill James

Bill Murphy
06-14-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm not a big baseball fan, but I've always liked the stats. Recently read "Moneyball" and that got me interested in stat guru Bill James. I've pretty much read all of his new Abstract, and here's a new interview w/him:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2084193/

One may compare James' clarity in explaining difficult applied mathematical concepts, as well as attitude towards the "uneducated", w/those of Sklansky. Some notable similarities, IMO, but I do think David could learn something. However, baseball concepts prolly make for much more entertaining reading than poker concepts, due to all the history and such, so David has a disadvantage.

Plus, David writes much more directly(at least up till now) for those who actually PLAY poker, and therefore are looking to profit from his books, than does James.

Quickie thought, who knows more; David about poker or Bill James about baseball?

Is there anything comparable in the poker industry to James going from stat geek to now being an advisor to the Red Sox?

Jimbo
06-14-2003, 11:53 PM
You asked "Is there anything comparable in the poker industry to James going from stat geek to now being an advisor to the Red Sox? "

Yes, Bobby Baldwin going from a poker player to running the Bellagio.

scalf
06-15-2003, 09:38 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif david used to be an insurance broker at wsop in 70's....lol..gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif