PDA

View Full Version : 20 Yr HS Reunion Trip Report - Poker Content!

Bill Murphy
06-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Because nothing is more boring than reading about other's moaning over their lost youth I'll keep this short, and also give the poker content & an abstract first.

Poker content - Several people mentioned to me that they watch the WPT and like it, which mirrors what others have written here & on RGP. They all say they love seeing the hole cards. Howard Lederer posted on RGP that players who appear on TV will have to adapt, based on what's shown.

Apparently, Phil Ivey was getting called everywhere at the WSOP, which obviously affected him, based on his sorry 10th of 839 finish.... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Reunion Abstract - WHO THE FUKK ARE ALL THESE OLD FARTS AND WHAT HAVE THEY DONE W/ALL MY OLD HIGH SCHOOL CLASSMATES??? Thank God, I haven't changed at all. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Trip report(brief) - Goat axed tae be lorry driver, so that wis us w/2 sixers ay Buckler, clean n sober, nae skunk either but. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

167 in the graduating class, 107 RSVP'd, 60-70 showed, only 15 or so w/o any contact info, including the class valedictorian, who got a 2.5 year vacation in the early '90s for running a meth lab. Internet obviously a big help in keeping in touch, tracking 'em down, etc. Two guys dead from drug-related AIDS, another girl committed suicide following her father's death. One guy who I'd heard WAS dead(car wreck) was there. He & his wife got a big laugh out of the false rumor.

Nice enough time. A few disappointing no-shows, a few unexpected showups. Surprised at the number of out-of-towners who came in for it. Some ain't aged a day, but a lot more I'd walk by on the street w/no clue.

Childbirth & -rearing obviously tough on a lassie, although the moms who apparently had money seemed to have really made an effort to stay slim. The girls w/o kids all looked good(none appeared interested in Billy BTW /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ). The smartest one of these has 2 stepkids and FIVE step-grandkids! She gets all kinds of looks when called Gramma in public.

Most of the guys looked surprisingly fit, although the programmer types were all fatboys. Genetics certainly a big factor for both genders.

The wives of the guys seemed to have a much better time than the husbands. The three drunkest & mouthiest guys there were all hubbies. Only one got out ay order, and that was at 1am, near the end, and I think there were also some socio-economic insecurities at work as well.

One girl's husband(well-behaved) works for the Indiana Pacers. Her two year old son says that he "likes to take showers with Reggie Miller". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif One fella was a professional bike racer, finished the Tour de France three years running. Had some interesting takes on Lance Armstrong.

Flipping through the yearbooks there was a shock a page. Couldn't do it for long. Christ, we was just babies. Had a hard time looking at the yins ay masel. I don't have any yearbooks or pictures from that era, and my family aren't photo takers. Like to climb thru they photos fir a bit; have a wee blether wi they perr dense laddie. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Tuition at the school is ten times what it was then. I bagged the $50 dinner/fundraiser tonight, but guess I'll head down for the school tour tomorrow n see what $8K/yr'll getcha these days, compared to our $800/yr bare bones. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

beernutz
06-15-2003, 01:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Had some interesting takes on Lance Armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
You CAN'T drop a line like that and leave it unexplained.

DISH!

Nice trip report, btw.

HDPM
06-15-2003, 02:10 AM
Know a guy who was his wife's 2d hubby. They went to her class reunion. He asked who the biggest dork in the class was (who wasn't there) and spent the whole weekend pretending to be that guy. His wife was an attractive, popular chick, so nobody could believe she hooked up with the "dork". And nobody could believe how the dork came into his own as an adult. Needless to say this guy is crazy and pretty funny, I can't imagine sticking to the act the whole time. But it does demonstrate how hubbies don't give a rip about wife's class reunion. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Anyway, good to hear you had a good time. I've never been to a reunion and don't know if I'll ever go to one. I never kept track of people, especially the ones who died or whatever. And the guy who sat behind me in math class who emptied both a 9mm and .357 into a bar on a bad evening (he was a schoolteacher at the time no less) prolly won't be there, even tho I think he's out by now. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Bill Murphy
06-15-2003, 05:09 PM
"Know a guy who was his wife's 2d hubby. They went to her class reunion. He asked who the biggest dork in the class was (who wasn't there) and spent the whole weekend pretending to be that guy. His wife was an attractive, popular chick, so nobody could believe she hooked up with the "dork". And nobody could believe how the dork came into his own as an adult. Needless to say this guy is crazy and pretty funny, I can't imagine sticking to the act the whole time. "

Christ, there's gotta be a movie in that somewhere. I mean that's hysterical/historical.

"And the guy who sat behind me in math class who emptied both a 9mm and .357 into a bar on a bad evening (he was a schoolteacher at the time no less) prolly won't be there, even tho I think he's out by now."

Musta had a lousy lawyer! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bill Murphy
06-15-2003, 05:55 PM
My boy sez Lance is the best, but the gap isn't as great as the media plays up. Sez Lance's best (and "luckiest") win was the first one, then he took full advantage of all the money from endorsements and such and started "buying up the competition". Sez Lance is also a master at using his teammates...kinda like Men The Master! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I think there're some issues here; my boy was on the USPS team, but his last year was Lance's first. But ah dinnae ken aboot aw that. I'll ask him in five years! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

BTW my boy rode, skiied &amp; played soccer but was no kinda super jock in HS. Started a touring club in college named after some famous Italian team. Just got better every year, and one by one his friends couldn't hang, so he had to turn pro. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Turns out he was an aerobic freak. Was well respected on Tour for being a horse, who could "ride any style the team needed"[?]. Boy looks like a million bucks now. Has that 'look' all great athletes have. Hard to describe. Great body control, awareness, symmetry, balance, whatever, I guess. Ya know it when you see it. BIG difference btwn a great HS jock and a pro. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Boy's wife's a stone hottie, of course. Very nice, too. She seen a newspaper story(w/photo) on my boy back when he first got going and immediately started volunteering at his races! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

John Feeney
06-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Bill -- Good report. But I see that Scottish brogue (or whatever it is... ??) in enough of your posts that now I fear I must have completely missed something in popular culture. Having kids, I admit my TV and movie viewing are kinda sparse now. Did I miss some character who did this brogue thing -- so that everyone now understands it... but me? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif And I need a couple of translations! For instance:

Goat axed tae be lorry driver, so that wis us w/2 sixers ay Buckler, clean n sober, nae skunk either but.

Okay, on coming back to this a day later I get part of it: "Got asked to be lorry driver, so that was us w/ 2 sixers of Buckler, clean n sober, no skunk (??) either but." (? - but what?). /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

the yins ay masel

This I'm stuggling with. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Could "masel" be "muscle"? But what's yins? I mean what is yins!? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

have a wee blether wi they perr dense laddie.

Whew, that's a tough one too! I got "have a wee," but that's where I lose it. "Blether"? I'll bet " wi" is "with." Man, I think I am dense, laddie. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Please ked yea be givin a laddie a wee bit'o help wo thae meanin' o somo thase lains?

(I hope it's not Irish brogue because that one I'm genetically supposed tae be knowin'. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif)

John Cole
06-15-2003, 11:17 PM
John,

Take Mark Twain's approach; ignorance of the language is never an excuse.

http://www.underthesun.cc/Classics/Twain/bequest/bequest35.html

John Feeney
06-16-2003, 02:57 AM
I thenk I'm makin' prugr'ss. "the yins ay masel" may be "the *** of myself"! I jest gett ta figoor ute whet "yins" be, laddie! It ked be thet itz "ones," but thet be seem'n a lil' strechy tae me. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mr. Cole, I'm a werkin' aen the starrie o' Mr. Twain's. Lemme jest be finishin' it new...

John Feeney
06-16-2003, 03:17 AM
That's a good one, John. Sammy (I'm on those terms with the author.) summed up my occasional experience with BillM's brogue:

I was gliding along smoothly and without obstruction or accident, until I came to that word "spalleggiato," then the bottom fell out. You notice what a rich gloom, what a somber and pervading mystery, that word sheds all over the whole Wallachian tragedy. That is the charm of the thing, that is the delight of it.

Just go with it, I will. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Boris
06-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Did you get laid?

Bill Murphy
06-17-2003, 07:21 PM
..is Irvine Welsh, of course, author of Trainspotting. The slang is from the housing projects("schemes") of Leith, outside Edinburgh, where all of Welsh's novels are set. They follow a rough chronological order and many characters have cameos in the different books, but you don't need to read them in any order; just might miss a couple in-jokes. Welsh's best &amp; funniest book is Glue, a main character from which I most try mimic in me posts. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Translation alert: "Goat axed tae be lorry driver, so that wis us w/2 sixers ay Buckler, clean n sober, nae skunk either but."="I was asked to be designated driver, so I drank two sixers of NA beer and didn't smoke any dope." The 'but' at the end of the sentence is used as an emphasis, sort of like 'right'.

"the yins ay masel "="The ones of myself"

"have a wee blether wi they perr dense laddie."="Have a little talk with my dumbass younger self" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Now, git oot n git yoursel a copy ay Glue. Chore it if ye huvtae, bit only if ye goat nae scran or poppy mind. Watch oot fir the filth, if ye chore, ken? Nae glosso in yon book but, sais ye'll jist huvtae graft yer wey thru it, ya doss cvnt. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

And speaking of Scotland's second most famous author, the US cover of her new book looks just awful. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Why not use the bright golden UK yin, wi they big boid on the front? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Bill Murphy
06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Answer was in the original post! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Boris
06-17-2003, 08:10 PM
You only ruled out the good looking ones.

John Cole
06-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Bill,

Always thought it was Bobby Burns meself. But?

John

John Feeney
06-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Cool. Thanks. I haven't even seen the movie, "Trainspotting." So I may start with that -- if I kin get oot o' the schemes fer a bit. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif