PDA

View Full Version : Oahu, Hawaii Vacation?

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Its vacation time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The gf and I are heading out next week. Will be there for 10 days.

Anyone been there?

What should I look for or plan to do?

jnalpak
11-02-2005, 12:53 PM
FIRST QUESTION: where are you staying?

Georgia Avenue
11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Any chance of Maui? I like Maui more betterer.

But lots of goo stuff on Oahu. If you don't scuba dive: snorkel. I recommend sharks cove : North Shore.

Like Tranny hookers? Plenty in Downtown Honalulu! Actually, right near chinatown (hohoville) theres an incredible french/vietnamese restaurant called Indigo that rocked my socks. Also had some jazz/downtempo live music in a back bar. And loud drunk yuppies who were amusing.

In the park in Manoa (quick bus ride from waikiki) there's a waterfall whose "No Swimming" signs can easily be ignored. Muy Romantico por los Femalles.

Mostly I sat on the beach. It's definitely worth the extra $$ to get a hotel right on the beach facing the ocean to see the sun do its thing.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FIRST QUESTION: where are you staying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah! sorry Wikki

Managed to nail a nice stay with our time share at celebrity resorts.

howzit
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Snorkeling Hanauma w/the hundred other tourists, trip out to the North Shore where hopefully the surf is going off and eat burgers and shaved ice. Taking a picnic out to Lanikai beach. learning to surf from the beach stand guys in Waikiki, trolling for deep water fish, hiking the Ko'olaus, and getting up late and eating brunch at any waterfront hotel.

and eat plenty of Hawaiian food: plate lunches from Ka'a'ko Kitchen/Rainbows/Gulicks, luau food, sushi, Chinese dim sum, whatever. Anything you want to eat, you'll find it.

Hawaii isn't any more expensive than NJ or NY but the trips to the outer islands will cost you....alot.

Don't forget your SPF 100 and lambskin condoms.

11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
1. Hanauma Bay Park - early in the morning, try to get there before 8:30 because of the lines. Get your snorkel equipment from Snorkel Bob's the day before (don't worry it's cheap) - definitely worth it if you go early.

2. Spend a day on the north shore. Drive around the island.

3. Pearl Harbor is boring. The Arizona Memorial in particular. (I've been told the USS Missouri is a good tour)

4. The Pali is one of my favorite spots on this planet. Definitely park and walk around it for a few minutes!

5. Germaines' Luau - Very very commercialized. Only do this if you have a good sense of humor or are very stoned.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds cool so far. I live in NJ so I can live with that comparison of expensess.

We have our own snorkle gear. The GF picked up a nice set for the both of us for $100 not a bad price for the snorkle, gogles and flippers.

Looking forward to this so far trip is $603 for each plane ticket and $149 to stay in our time share for 9 days.

Not bad.

jnalpak
11-02-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

4_2_it
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Hanauma Bay Park - early in the morning, try to get there before 8:30 because of the lines. Get your snorkel equipment from Snorkel Bob's the day before (don't worry it's cheap) - definitely worth it if you go early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get off East Coast time. When we went about 5 years ago, we got up with the sun (5:30am) and went to Hanauma Bay. We were the first ones in the water and saw sea turtles and the big fish that the tourists have scared away by 8AM. It is easy to get up that early the first coupleof days you are there.

11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to this so far trip is $603 for each plane ticket and $149 to stay in our time share for 9 days.

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so freaking jealous it is not funny. I hope you guys have a wonderful time. Walk around Waikiki at night, it is fun. (don't swim at night though, sharks!)

Paluka
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I was just in Hawaii, but I skipped Oahu completely. Maui and The Big Island were awesome.

rohjoh
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Eat at Roy's. It is a chain now, but the original is in Oahu, and it is very good. About $30 per person with the menu changing nightly, euro-asian style food, and great fresh fish.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget your SPF 100 and lambskin condoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back from lunch with afternoon caffine fix in hand and spit my coffee after reading this.

Thx for remembering my I am an Irish white boy and having trouble getting off with this piece of plastic on my junk post.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so freaking jealous it is not funny. I hope you guys have a wonderful time. Walk around Waikiki at night, it is fun. (don't swim at night though, sharks!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx /images/graemlins/grin.gif Sharks huh how much of a concern are the sharks there.

We just got back from Costa Rica in May. How comparable (sp?) is the tropical scene.

If you haven't been to Coasta Rica it is frigin awsome.I loved it, Cant wait to go back.

One of the best parts are watching the monkeys on the beach jumping around from tree to tree.

Your not seeing that [censored] in New Jersey.

Reef
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Spend a day on the north shore. Drive around the island.

3. Pearl Harbor is boring. The Arizona Memorial in particular. (I've been told the USS Missouri is a good tour)

4. The Pali lookout is one of my favorite spots on this planet. Definitely park and walk around it for a few minutes!

5. Germaines' Luau - Very very commercialized. Only do this if you have a good sense of humor or are very stoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live on Oahu (when not in school).. this list is pretty good.

ADD: Waikiki or Ala Moana Beach park (touristy), Kailua Beach park (not touristy). Rent a jetski (Waikiki) or kayak (Kailua)

If you like hiking, might try Diamond head (extinct volcano), where you hike to the top

Horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch. Check out Chinaman's hat while there

Definetaly definetaly walk the "strip" at waikiki at night. Get the whole touristy experience

As for night clubs, my favorite is Zanzibar at the Waikiki trade center

don't forget sea life park

Reef
11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just in Hawaii, but I skipped Oahu completely. Maui and The Big Island were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are more scenic islands, but less to do compared to oahu

11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Was just there in May with my girlfriend and her parents. (Yeah, they bought. My life sucks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

We surveyed the Dole Plantation which was kinda cool. We didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center on the East coast of the island but we heard it's a MUST. We did enjoy driving up the East of the island. Beautiful drive (We stayed at Turtle Bay way up on North tip of island).

But Honolulu, and Pearl Harbor are both on the South. Dole farm is in middle.

I reccommend North Shore as well as Waimea Bay beach (next to North Shore). And check out Waimea Falls, it's a nature sanctuary that you can walk around in (pretty flowers, trees, peacocks, birds, etc.) and the best part is at the end there is a waterfall (Waimea Falls), you can swim in this small, intimate lake with a waterfall. Very cool. I think it was like $12 a head to get in, and well worth it.

Don't listen to the people who say Maui is better. It's more "Americanized." You'll appreciate the more indiginous feel of Oahu. Obviously if you can afford it do both, but you'll love Oahu just as well.

Have fun! If I ever make enough money on the internet playing P*k*r, I'd definitely move there!

howzit
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thx /images/graemlins/grin.gif Sharks huh how much of a concern are the sharks there.

We just got back from Costa Rica in May. How comparable (sp?) is the tropical scene.

If you haven't been to Coasta Rica it is frigin awsome.I loved it, Cant wait to go back.

One of the best parts are watching the monkeys on the beach jumping around from tree to tree.

Your not seeing that [censored] in New Jersey.

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't no sharks on Oahu that you should be worried about.

Honolulu, O`ahu = San Jose, Costa Rica.

jdl22
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Check out the Pali lookout. Though I haven't actually done it I've always wanted to do the Stairway to Heaven, basically a set of stairs that goes up the side of the mountain. It looks amazing from the H3 but the wife is scared of heights so I'll have to go with her brother on a future trip. Both are fairly near each other, but I'm actually not sure where the stairway to heaven actually begins.

If you like museums check out the Bishop Museum. It's an excellent museum with several old Hawaiian artifacts including the cape of Kamehameha I. I would also reccomend Iolani palace, the only royal palace in the US. Both are in Honolulu.

North Shore is pretty nice. I've not been in November so I don't know about the surf (the ocean is like glass in the summer and has huge waves in the winter not sure about now, I would guess it will be big but not huge). If there is reasonable surf you can watch people surfing, if it's flat the snorkeling is good especially around three tables and sharks cove. Hale'iwa town is nice. It's sort of a touristy/surfing town. There are lots of small shops and it's famous for shave ice. Of the two big places I would suggest Aoki's unless the line at Matsumotos is short, Matsumotos is probably a it better but the line is normally very long and Aoki's is also very good. I would also highly reccomend going to the Haleiwa cafe for breakfast. Get "off the lip" with portuguese sausaage (sp?) if you can't decide.

If you want souvenirs it's probably best to get them at the swap meet. The swap meet is at Aloha Stadium on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can find plenty of cheap souvenirs, seat covers and that type of stuff.

Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen. The first time I went I was snorkeling and despite my girlfriend's suggestion failed to reapply sunscreen after. My back was a nice purple and I couldn't lay on it without it hurting like hell. To make matters worse every time she suggests something and I say it's not necesary this gets brought up /images/graemlins/wink.gif

howzit
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stairway to Heaven
Bishop Museum.
if it's flat the snorkeling is good especially around three tables and sharks cove.
I would suggest Aoki's unless the line at Matsumotos is short

[/ QUOTE ]
all good choices. in town, Waiolas for shave ice, no other option.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want souvenirs it's probably best to get them at the swap meet. The swap meet is at Aloha Stadium on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can find plenty of cheap souvenirs, seat covers and that type of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
borderline. . .cheapo souvenirs.
[ QUOTE ]

Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just do what you did while in Costa.

On a side note, I'll be going back for Christmas-New Year's and am getting excited reading this. I'll try to keep coming up w/good eating spots when this thread gets bumped up.

jdl22
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

borderline. . .cheapo souvenirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

true but that's what a lot of people want. They've got fair selection on things like padeos as well.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen. The first time I went I was snorkeling and despite my girlfriend's suggestion failed to reapply sunscreen after. My back was a nice purple and I couldn't lay on it without it hurting like hell. To make matters worse every time she suggests something and I say it's not necesary this gets brought up /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This what happend to me when I did listen to my GF about the sunscreen.

Costa Rica is 6 degrees off the equater.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9881/costarica20051128ex.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=costarica20051128ex.jpg)

M2d
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've not been in November so I don't know about the surf (the ocean is like glass in the summer and has huge waves in the winter not sure about now, I would guess it will be big but not huge).

[/ QUOTE ]
the OP pro holding period runs from the 12th to the 23rd of November, so it's right in his timeframe. the Xcel finished yesterday in 6-10 conditions, so big waves are definately hitting already. No massive beach closing conditions, but the scene is definately on in Haleiwa.

for the OP, others have alluded to the touristy feel of waikiki. all very true, but Oahu is much more than waikiki. the great thing about an Oahu vacation is that you get what you put into it. if you're content to laze around on the beach, check out chicks, hang with the tourists and be surrounded by a commercialized Hawaii, then you can do that (nothing wrong with it at all). If you want to explore a bit and see some history (both hawaiian and US/World), you can do that (as an aside, the Arizona Memorial is a must see, imo, because of the history that it carries; plus, it isn't going to be around much longer, from what i hear). if you want to do the slow down, nature/small town thing, a trip out of waikiki to the beach towns on the north shore or into Kailua will let you meet your desires. There's also numerous day hikes into the mountains, more secluded beaches, and other off the beaten path things to do if you do some digging.

if you're looking for fine(ish) dining, forget Roy's and go to Alan Wong's. you'll thank me later.

4_2_it
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
If you don't like cold water, make sure you have a 3/4 wet suit. I am from Florida and that Paciic water temp in the 60's felt pretty cold to me.

jdl22
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like cold water, make sure you have a 3/4 wet suit. I am from Florida and that Paciic water temp in the 60's felt pretty cold to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. You have it that good in Florida? Granted, I'm from Oregon where the water feels like it's 40 degrees but I always enjoy the warm ocean water there.

jdl22
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the OP pro holding period runs from the 12th to the 23rd of November, so it's right in his timeframe. the Xcel finished yesterday in 6-10 conditions, so big waves are definately hitting already. No massive beach closing conditions, but the scene is definately on in Haleiwa.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I would highly reccomend to the op that he go to this if possible. I went to the pipeline masters (third leg of triple crown) a few years ago and it was a lot more fun than I was expecting. It's also really nerve racking if you're partial to one of the surfers.

Still hoping to see the Eddie. They had it the day I flew in last year so I missed it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

rohjoh
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oahu will be 72-75 this time of year, never really gets below 70.

4_2_it
11-02-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. You have it that good in Florida? Granted, I'm from Oregon where the water feels like it's 40 degrees but I always enjoy the warm ocean water there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gulf of Mexico avg temp is around 80 for Ft Myers Beach (where I grew up). Goes down to around 70 in the winter and up to high 80's in summer.

howzit
11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
some restaurants I hit up when I'm there:

La Mer at the Halekulani Hotel.
Alan Wongs on King St.
Chef Mavros also on King St. (go w/the first two restaurants before you go here. The first 2 are great for dates and food, the third is great for food)

brunch at John Domininis
get some coco puffs from Liliha Bakery - this u should do.
malasadas from Leonards
shave ice at Waiolas - also recommended.
sushi at Sushi King

there are a bunch of restaurants that serve great food after a night of drinking:
Side St. Inn.
Fook Yuen
and the late night locals favorite, Zippys.

clubs: the W, Zanzibar.

some things you shouldn't eat in Hawaii: Italian and chain restaurants.

jdl22
11-02-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

get some coco puffs from Liliha Bakery - this u should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] yeah!

These are so good we used them as the wedding cake at our wedding.

LALDAAS
11-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys!Enough here to keep us busy for 9 days /images/graemlins/smile.gif

With all this info and a little research my girl will think I actually took a ass load of time to do my homework so we have an awsome trip.

Major brownie pionts.

sledghammer
11-02-2005, 11:31 PM
I was there in june. Ive never had as much fun as riding on the two lane coastal roads on the rental mopeds. there are no helmet laws. just ride with no shirt and no helmet, stop off at a beach and jump in the water, then back on the bikes and keep riding all day.....

LALDAAS
11-03-2005, 01:36 AM
gf had suggested this, does sound fun.

LALDAAS
11-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Alright I am out of here, Just got to finish work /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Printing this page and I am going to hit up some of these up!

Thx guys

samjjones
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Like Tranny hookers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who doesn't?

jdl22
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the OP pro holding period runs from the 12th to the 23rd of November, so it's right in his timeframe.

[/ QUOTE ]http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/pancho-op-pro-shoulder300.jpg

MAIKA'I!!!

LALDAAS
11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
I saw the triple crown while I was there it was amazing

jdl22
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
So you going to post a trip report or what?

I went to the Pipeline masters a couple years ago and it was pretty sweet. The guy in the pic above is a family friend (his mother in law and my mother in law are close friends). Everyone was really excited then because he made it to the semifinals at pipeline, they must still be going crazy over his first triple crown win. I didn't expect it to be so nerve racking, but when it's close and there's only a few minutes left and one wave can put you from fourth to first in the heat it gets intense.

Hellrazor
11-28-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you going to post a trip report or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll post one when I get back - going on my honeymoon on Thursday. Oahu, Maui and Kauai - 11 days.

M2d
11-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Jared,
you guys going to be around for Xmas? we fly in on the 24th and leave on the 4th. Gotta get the boy used to Kaneohe being "home" and San Mateo being "the place we're currently living".

howzit
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jared,
you guys going to be around for Xmas? we fly in on the 24th and leave on the 4th. Gotta get the boy used to Kaneohe being "home" and San Mateo being "the place we're currently living".

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be there from 24 - 3. beers @ magoos? or surf session?

jdl22
11-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Sadly no. This will be the first year in three that we won't be heading "home" for christmas. I'm not sure how she did it, but my wife has got me referring to the windward side as home so maybe she could give you some tips. I've also managed to feel homesick despite never living there.

We'll be in Oregon with my family. We actually might be heading down to San Francisco but will more likely head up to Seattle for a weekend after her Christmas break starts.

Closest I'm going to get before summer is eating local food. Yesterday we went to a Japanese grocery store that in addition to a lot of Japanese stuff had all the standard local stuff, most of it sent in from Hawai'i. Started with a couple manapua and then had kalua pig with poi and rice with furikake on the side. It was damn good. When I go back to Oregon in a couple weeks we're having lao laos and portugeese bean soup.