PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Theory & Other Topics or Getting the Best of It?

fnord_too
11-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Which of these two books should I pick? I have most of the rest of the 2+2 library, I have a degree in discrete math and an MBA, and am already very comfortable with decision making under uncertainty. Which of these two books would be best for me. (I have a free 2+2 book coming my way, I just need to pick one).

ChrisMonkeymaker
11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Given your educational background and decision making competence it should be obvious that you should get both. Getting the Best of It for EV and mathematical expectation. Gambling Theory for anything to do with variance and standard deviation even though it covers EV too.

fnord_too
11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I already have a firm handle on EV and such, and I only get one free book. Is there anything earth shattering in Getting the Best of It? (I'm a nit, so I am sure I will get both eventually, but I'm really looking for what will provide the most knowledge out of this essentially found book). I am weaker at statistics than EV (though I have a pretty good grasp of stats) so it is sounding like Gambling Theory may be the way to go.

deacsoft
11-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I've read Poker, Gaming, & Life by Sklansky and enjoyed it.

bobman0330
11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Getting the Best of It is really awesome.

Lost Wages
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
GTBOI is on my "Don't bother re-reading list". GTOT is on my "Re-read" list.

A lot of non-poker stuff in the former. The "Other Topics" is GTOT are pretty good, similar to the Poker Essays.

Lost Wages

fnord_too
11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've read Poker, Gaming, & Life by Sklansky and enjoyed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have that one.

fnord_too
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GTBOI is on my "Don't bother re-reading list". GTOT is on my "Re-read" list.

A lot of non-poker stuff in the former. The "Other Topics" is GTOT are pretty good, similar to the Poker Essays.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I was leaning towads GTOT, I think that's the one I will get.

playersare
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Getting The Best of It is more about strategies for finding +EV opportunities in specific games.

Gambling Theory and Other Topics is more about statistics, bankroll calculations, and reference essays.

get the former to apply yourself to profitable games right away, and then check out the latter when you have more time to get more in-depth.

GTBOI is the what, GTAOT is the why.