PDA

View Full Version : $55: Scare card on river. Call his overbet?

AA suited
11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP3 (t1030)
CO (t975)
Button (t875)
SB (t1195)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1075)
HERO (t925)
UTG+2 (t1095)
MP1 (t1035)
MP2 (t795)

Preflop: HERO is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
1 fold</font>, HERO calls t15, 5 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, HERO bets t50</font>, Button calls t50, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t157.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">HERO bets t125</font>, Button calls t125.

River: (t407.50) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
HERO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t410</font>, HERO ??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Final Pot: t1227.50

No reads.

On the river, there's an overcard and a flush possible.

Suggestions on my river play?

Edited by durron597 to fix coloring

MegaBet
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Looks like you are beat. Why did you play this hand so softly?

AA suited
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks suspiciously like a flush draw. Why did you play this hand so softly?

[/ QUOTE ]

softly?! what do you mean?

downtown
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I like leading for t250 or so on the river here. If you're raised (from probably a push) you are probably beat and you can lay it down. If you check to him, he can take the pot away from you with air because you appear so weak. It's a scare card for him too, unless he has you killed, in which case he'll probably push.

durron597
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants you to raise preflop.

I think you played the hand fine, anything he may have had got there so fold. What do you beat?

bigt439
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played the hand fine, anything he may have had got there so fold. What do you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Downtown's blocking bet idea is junk. Check call if you have to put chips in on the river, but a huge blocking bet is really not very good IMO.

downtown
11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Downtown's blocking bet idea is junk. Check call if you have to put chips in on the river, but a huge blocking bet is really not very good IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show me where this guy has shown that he has anything besides a T, or even weaker. I don't think playing the river like a scared little girl is any way to make money on this hand. If you call my idea junk, I'm open to listen to yours if you give me a better explanation than "I agree" and "IMO."

Call/Call does not represent overwhelming strength to me. Why does it to you?

11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
A2, A7, A5, A10, or 89 hearts play the same way, and none of the above are "overwhelmingly strong" until the river hits. I think the only possible hand that you are ahead of given this action is 89o or 10x. To put the guy on 10x, however, I would want some sort of read like "bets into weakness" or "plays top pair very passively". The way you played it, and without further reads, I don't think he's bluffing enough on this river to merit a call.

11-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Raising preflop will make things a lot easier. As it is, I think you have to fold.

AA suited
11-02-2005, 01:02 PM
hm.. river blocking bet of 1/4 pot sound good?

or make it 1/3 pot?

bigt439
11-02-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show me where this guy has shown that he has anything besides a T, or even weaker. I don't think playing the river like a scared little girl is any way to make money on this hand. If you call my idea junk, I'm open to listen to yours if you give me a better explanation than "I agree" and "IMO."

Call/Call does not represent overwhelming strength to me. Why does it to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a lot of the hands that he would play like this just improved past yours. If you're committed to going to showdown, then check calling is vastly superior because it will at least let him bluff or value bet worse hands, where as if you blocking bet he will most likely raise you with hands better than yours (or call with hands he could've checked behind) and fold hands worse than yours. You let him play too well by doing this. You're not ahead of much that bets this river IMO, and you're not getting much value out of betting, so why not check hoping for a free showdown and fold to a bet that indicates you're likely beat? There aren't many bluffing hands here and he likely wants a showdown just as much as you do. If he bets it's likely because he's strong enough to beat whatever you're showing down, but if you want to try and snap off a bluff go ahead. It's better than letting him play near perfect by betting the river.

And you know check-folding doesn't always mean playing like a little girl, sometimes it means making money.

downtown
11-02-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he bets it's likely because he's strong enough to beat whatever you're showing down

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that he could have us beat here, but I disagree that only a hand that likely beats us makes that bet. That's why I like the blocking bet - the idea has some merit, and your line is fine, but the blocking bet is not "junk" for sure.

I agree check/folding can mean making money, I just disagree that it's every time a scare card comes in this situation. I am looking at this from a generalized point of view. I just don't think our lines are as far apart EV-wise as you seem to think.