PDA

View Full Version : 22- AQ bad beat or bad play?

Doc
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM
I actually sat here and thought "He doesn't have AK because he didn't raise preflop"

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 (t675)
MP3 (t770)
CO (t770)
Button (t970)
SB (t790)
Hero (t775)
UTG (t995)
UTG+1 (t725)
UTG+2 (t745)
MP1 (t785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t30, 2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t30, 3 folds</font>, Hero raises to t125</font>, UTG+2 calls t95, MP3 folds.

Flop: (t295) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)</font>
Hero bets t150</font>, UTG+2 raises to t300</font>, Hero calls [t530] t150, UTG+2 calls [t320] t300.

Turn: (t745) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)</font>

River: (t745) J/images/graemlins/club.gif 2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t745

Of course, he did have AK, bad play or bad beat?

Freudian
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't like raising with AQo after limpers in level 2. It ties you to the pot in nasty ways because the pot is so big on the flop. Even if he had A4, you would have gone broke here simply because of the pot size.

durron597
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I used to raise big aces all the times out of the blinds. Then I started to only raise AK out of the blinds. Now I only sometimes raise that.

I think preflop is the big mistake here.

schwza
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to raise big aces all the times out of the blinds. Then I started to only raise AK out of the blinds. Now I only sometimes raise that.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i always raise AK from the blinds. i tried just completing it and posting it here a few months and got slammed (maybe by you, don't remember).

incidentally, if anyone ever paid a lot of attention to me and they saw me raise out of the blinds in levels 1/2, they would know i have exactly QQ+/AK. glad no one's paying attention.

durron597
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i always raise AK from the blinds. i tried just completing it and posting it here a few months and got slammed (maybe by you, don't remember).

incidentally, if anyone ever paid a lot of attention to me and they saw me raise out of the blinds in levels 1/2, they would know i have exactly QQ+/AK. glad no one's paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still pretty much always raise AK out of the blinds, I only don't if the stack sizes are weird.

schwza
11-02-2005, 12:12 PM
yeah, i'd check preflop, but you should obviously go broke on the flop. and btw, that subject is the quintessential "i am a novice" subject.

SonnyJay
11-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree with the analysis that preflop is bad. You're basically tied to the pot, and on the 2/3 or so of the time you whiff you'll be in an awkward situation with a big pot out of position where any continuation bet kills your stack. Not the greatest situation to be in.

Given that you are in this situation, you played it fine. Not a bad beat, he just had a better hand the whole time. Nothing you can do once the flop comes.

-SonnyJay

11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't see how you can put him on AK after he limp/called.

I don't dislike preflop as much as other people do though.