PDA

View Full Version : Fine Dining Club Ideas

Georgia Avenue
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
So me and a bunch of semi-broke co-workers and friends have been bitching about the lack of good food in our lives. We've been planning to start going out in a big group once a month to a rather expensive (thinking 20-30 a plate) place. We'd like to make it more $ but there aren't too many real gourmet restaurants in B-more!

Anyway, how can we alleviate the cost of this club? Would we be able to swing some kind of group discount from the restaurants if we called far in advance? I was guessing no, they'd probably try to fleece us even more! Could we pool our $$ in some creative way to save up? Naked carwash? <----Bad idea...

I'm thinking it'll be around 10-12 people.

I'm sick of Chipolte already...please help...

jakethebake
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a rather expensive (thinking 20-30 a plate) place.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Georgia Avenue
11-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I know...but in Baltimore that pretty much covers the top 1/3 of restaurants. Life is cheap here, that's why we have so many murders...

swede123
11-02-2005, 11:20 AM
If anything going as a group will give the restaurant a chance to include their mandated big-group tip, of 20-30%. Just have someone host the dinner for the group every other week or something. Have each couple be in charge of one part of the meal and go that way.

Swede

xadrez
11-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Youll never find enough accomodating restaurants to make this plan even close to a semi-regular thing.

Best bet would probably have get togethers and cook yourselves. What is that called potluck or something?

StevieG
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So me and a bunch of semi-broke co-workers and friends have been bitching about the lack of good food in our lives. We've been planning to start going out in a big group once a month to a rather expensive (thinking 20-30 a plate) place. We'd like to make it more $ but there aren't too many real gourmet restaurants in B-more!

Anyway, how can we alleviate the cost of this club? Would we be able to swing some kind of group discount from the restaurants if we called far in advance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call some places up and ask them if they can do a prix fixe menu for you. It never hurts to ask, and if you have 10-12 people and can guarantee it for a slow night (Tuesday or Wednesday for example) then you may be in business.

There are plenty of places to spend that kind of money or more in B-more (Charleston, Hampton's, Soigne, Taste, Ixia all come to mind right away).

You should also consider a cooking club - two or three of your group can take it on ever week. This will be cheaper for sure, and you'll learn a lot.

Georgia Avenue
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just have someone host the dinner for the group every other week or something. Have each couple be in charge of one part of the meal and go that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. We're all terrible cooks.
2. That involves hard work.

The whole point of the project is to be able to eat food we can't make ourselves, not to just have a party with a bunch of artichoke dips. [Insert dipjoke here]

StevieG
11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know...but in Baltimore that pretty much covers the top 1/3 of restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do tap out the good spots in Baltimore, you can always just hop it to DC or Philly (Susanna Foo and Le Bec Fin will shatter your $20-$30 range).

You can even combine it with [censored], head to AC, and try Ombra or others at the Borgata.

Ulysses
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM
These are probably more than $20-30. (http://baltimore.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/fine_dining)

StevieG
11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just have someone host the dinner for the group every other week or something. Have each couple be in charge of one part of the meal and go that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. We're all terrible cooks.
2. That involves hard work.

The whole point of the project is to be able to eat food we can't make ourselves, not to just have a party with a bunch of artichoke dips.

[/ QUOTE ]

#2 is definitely true, but if you want to progress beyond #1, this is a great way to do it.

Hear me out. I feel strongly about this, so this post is long.

Learn from my experience.

When in grad school, a good friend got the same urge to learn more about good food. His solution was to get "Le Cordon Bleu at Home" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688097502/103-6557275-9549417?v=glance) , which features lessons from the cooking school for complete menus that introduce you to French cooking techniques. We then went through lesson by lesson as a group cooking the meals. <font color="white">The grad school buddy posts here, so we'll see if and how he responds.</font>

What went right:

Saving money. We ate some mad meals for less than what we would have spent at mid-range restaurants, let alone high end places.

Cooking as a group. There was no way we would have tried some of these things on our own. Souffles, creme anglais, etc., are not easy. But it helped to have people inspire your confidence, making it easier and more fun. Plus, it made the whole experience social.

Trying rich foods. Restaurant food tastes so good becuase they use plenty of fat and sugar. Most people cooking at home for themselves are afraid to do this. Following book recipes and not feeling guilty about it will produce similarly rich foods that you will feel great about cooking yourself. Smoked salmon crepes, swiss chard au gratin, chocolate mousse, duck were all huge hits from this cooking experiment.

Pairing wines. Restaurants are charging huge markup on wine. One huge advantage to cooking on your own is that for the same amount of money you would spend on wine in a restaurant you can go far crazier in a wine store. You can also feel free to get a wines to pair with each course.

What went wrong:

Cooking with too large a group, all in one place Grad school budget implies grad school housing and kicthen size. Not the best place for 4 people to try doing a multicourse meal. I would suggest 2 or 3 in one spot to inspire confidence in each other and divide tedious work. You can keep it soclial by having others over to hang out (and help with cleanup), but keep the cooks to a minimum. Also, use two kitchens, with one group in charge of appetizer and dessert, the others the entree and side dishes. The first group brings their prepared stuf over to the second group where you eat.

Starting too late in the day. We did this on Saturdays, but we were grad students, and dawdled. You do not want to spend a couple of hours cooking when you are already starting to get hungry. Figure out when you want to eat, then work back the times in the recipes and start on time, or close to it. Make sure to get a good jump on it, even if it means getting some or all ingredients the night before.

Our cookbook choice The food was very good, but it was really tough for first time cooks. You may want to start with Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" or something else first. Find something that has the food that will make you happy you made the effort (beyond artichoke dip) but that does not look so tough for beginners.

Going in order, all from one book The cookbook we used was divided in sections, like a lesson plan, to introduce techniques. We followed it like a course. Big mistake. Pick the recipes and meals you want to make. You must keep it fun. If that means using multiple cookbooks, pulling stuff off Epicurious, Food Channel, or blatantly ripping off menus from restaurants in town, then go ahead and do it. Keep it fun.

miajag81
11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
I happen to live in Mt. Vernon right off Charles St., so I live near and have been to most of the "best" Baltimore restaurants. In brief:

Brass Elephant: Overpriced, overrated.

Tio Pepe: Expensive but worth every penny.

Prime Rib: Pretty good, very cool ambience.

Brewer's Art: Probably my favorite restaurant in Bmore. Eclectic dinner menu, good bar food and great beer.

The Helmand: I also highly recommend this. Very good and relatively inexpensive.

Of the several Indian restaurants in my area my favorite is Akbar, with Mughal Garden a close second.

I have been to most of the harbor-area restaurants too, like Eurasian Harbor, McCormick and Schmick, Ruths Chris, etc...none were bad, but none particularly excited me either.

As far as Little Italy goes, Chiapparelli's is my favorite, followed by Sabatino's.

StevieG
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Brass Elephant: Overpriced, overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brass Elephant has been hit or miss for me. I do like the atmosphere, though, and the prox fixe menu is not overpriced.

Helmand and Brewer's Art are great choices.

Petit Louis is a favorite.

ChicagoTroy
11-02-2005, 01:31 PM
A friend started this one, you might shoot her an e-mail.

www.funyoungfoodieclub.com (http://www.funyoungfoodieclub.com)

StevieG
11-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm surprised that Charelston and Hampton's are not mentioned. Seems impossible to have a brief list of "best" Baltimore restaurants without the only AAA 4 diamond winners somewhere.

Not that ratings are everything, but I would have thought they would have at least gotten your attention.

miajag81
11-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I haven't been to either. I do plan to go to Charlestons in the near future, though.

tonypaladino
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a rather expensive (thinking 20-30 a plate) place.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

StevieG
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Charelston was excellent when I went. They recently made some changes in their menu and in the layout, I think removing tables. If you go in the near future let me know.

I also need to check out Black Olive and the newly opened Brasserie Tatin.

While we're at it, on the topic of Indian, how do the places you mentioned compare to Saffron?

Ulysses
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
That sounds like a f'in great idea.

miajag81
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Ooh, forgot about Black Olive. I really enjoyed it.

As for Saffron, comparing it to the Indian places I mentioned is kind of apples/oranges because I think Saffron is more of a pan-Asian type place. I think I had pork tenderloin when I went, which was good but not particularly outstanding. Prices are pretty reasonable though.

cdxx
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to live in Mt. Vernon right off Charles St., so I live near and have been to most of the "best" Baltimore restaurants. In brief:

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd add Shogun to this list, though i am not sure how close it is to mt.vernon. it's on N Charles St/Saratoga. not quite fine dining, but very-very-very much worth putting it into rotation.

edit : it's a japanese/sushi place.

miajag81
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd add Shogun to this list, though i am not sure how close it is to mt.vernon. it's on N Charles St/Saratoga. not quite fine dining, but very-very-very much worth putting it into rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't been there because I'm not a huge Japanese/sushi fan, but I hear it's excellent if you like that stuff.

poincaraux
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
This is really the way to go. I think I've posted about this before, so I'll keep this brief. In college, three of us had a genius-level idea: we convinced the school to give us money for the Gourmet Cooking Club. By the end of my senior year, we were getting $800/semester. 6-15 people per meal, a few meals per semester, we paid for the alcohol out of pocket. This turned many of us into very good cooks, and it makes going to fancy restaurants much more enjoyable/interesting.

A few tips:

1) Before you make a dish, read through the whole recipe again. Chop everything up in advance, etc. When you're starting out, you probably can't handle doing three or four thigns at once in the kitchen, so don't. Read the recipe again and think about what you'll be doing and when.

2) We went with themes, rather than working our way through a cookbook. We'd put one or two people in charge of each dish and other folks would help out. This was a good way to pair up good cooks with novices, etc. It also meant that we could make any dish that anyone wanted. By the end, we had the "novices" in charge of most dishes and the more experienced folks wandering around and helping with everything.

3) Spend some time talking to the folks at the wine store. Tell them your whole menu, how many people you have and what your price range is. Ask them what they recommend and why. Take notes. Do this at a good wine store. Moore Brothers was good to us.

4) Keep the cookbook open and keep looking at the recipe. As long as you're willing to do this, you can make just about everything. The exception, in our experience, was dessert. Things that involve melting sugar and candy thermometers can be a lot tricker than you might think, so either start simple or be willing to try a couple of times.

5) Write trip reports and post them.

StevieG
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really the way to go. I think I've posted about this before, so I'll keep this brief. In college, three of us had a genius-level idea: we convinced the school to give us money for the Gourmet Cooking Club

[/ QUOTE ]

That is genius. Getting some of your student fees kicked backed to you for this is just brilliant.

All the advice you offer would have been relevant to us, too. Dessert worked for the most part, but we had chocolate seize up on us once.

Georgia Avenue
11-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks sg but, I am lazy, and that's not going to change unless I work at it! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think we've decided to get a Diners Club Card, split the fees, and save 10-20% off the bill. It's only in select places, but theres a long list.

I've been to every restaurant in Bmore too, so maybe I'll start a thread about nice foodie establishments in the area.
When I'm feeling up to it...
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(By the way, John Stevens is by far the finest food in the city.)

gusser
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
What about hiring a chef for a night? Check this website out... some of the prices seem to be in your range

http://www.hireachef.com/

gus

slamdunkpro
11-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Two of the best kept secrets in Baltimore and one not so well kept.

Windows on the Bay (http://www.windowsonthebaypasadena.com/)
Top notch!!

The Orient in Towson (best Sushi I’ve ever had!)

Bay Café – Crab Cakes and Shrimp Salad