PDA

View Full Version : Any software that will convert a scanned document into Word format?

partygirluk
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a printed copy of my dissertation but no Word version. Is there any way to scan my printed copy and then have Word understand it and let me edit it? I don't want to type it all out again.....

icepick
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
You want some Optical Character Recognition software. OCR. There are many products that will do this.

partygirluk
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You want some Optical Character Recognition software. OCR. There are many products that will do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you recommend one that is free and easy to use? Fwiw I have a couple of tables and footnotes in the document, would like the software to handle them.

KenProspero
11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you recommend one that is free and easy to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, no. Though I've never done an exhaustive search, my experience is that OCR software is universally "ok" but not perfect.

By this, I mean, it will save you a lot of typing time, but you're still going to have to go through page-by-page and correct typos, charts, footnotes, etc.

Also, be aware, that in Word, a footnote linked to the underlying text. OCR software just translates characters, so won't make this link.

Admittedly, though, I haven't looked for OCR software in a couple of years, so there may be tremendous improvements.

elmo
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
readiris pro 9.04. just go to download.com. it works very well with typed documents off a decent printer. it requires a little messing around to get it to identify pictures and tables, but there is a tool for that.

elmo
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
*its often easier just to retype the charts if they are short. pictures are easy, though.

icepick
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you recommend one that is free and easy to use? Fwiw I have a couple of tables and footnotes in the document, would like the software to handle them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be easier to re-type it.

elmo
11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
this technology actually pretty good now. i used this program at work for a 120 page instructional manual without much trouble.