PDA

View Full Version : Phillies hire Pat Gillick

Sluss
11-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I am still unsure about this one. I'm not real sure what Gillick has done lately. If I'm not mistaken he is the guy who built the Blue Jays and the Mariners. Is he the guy who brought in A-Rod, Randy Johnson, Ichiro etc?

He seems like an Old School guy and the Phillies are set up like an New School team. This should make things interesting if the Phillies ownership lets him do what he wants.

Jack of Arcades
11-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Pat Gillick is a good GM, makes some questionable moves, and has a tendency to not make moves at the trading deadline (nickname "Stand Pat."). One of the old boys, uncontroversial, etc. Nothing wrong with this hiring.

TheRover
11-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't know, he's pretty old. Does he still have the energy and creativity? He didn't really seem to leave Seattle in great shape or that might be all Bavasi's fault.

I like Hunsicker (sp) better. I've read he's going to Tampa in some position.

Sluss
11-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
makes some questionable moves, and has a tendency to not make moves at the trading deadline (nickname "Stand Pat.").

[/ QUOTE ] So your telling me they just re-hired Ed Wade /images/graemlins/frown.gif

holeplug
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
makes some questionable moves, and has a tendency to not make moves at the trading deadline (nickname "Stand Pat.").

[/ QUOTE ] So your telling me they just re-hired Ed Wade /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Ed Wade did nearly as bad as a lot of people in Philadelphia believed he did.

Sluss
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Ed Wade did nearly as bad as a lot of people in Philadelphia believed he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a thread on this when Wade was first fired. I agree, he made some moves that sounded good at the time and busted and had his share of WTF moves as any GM would have in 8 years. Plus, he did love to believe that he didn't need to make any moves at the deadline.

My point is if your going to fire a guy, why bring in a guy who does just about the same thing?

bugstud
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
wade gets a bum rap for his pitchers imploding.

Jack of Arcades
11-02-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the fetish for shitty middle relievers.