PDA

View Full Version : Preflop Quiz

Mangatang
06-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Here's a list of several preflop situations. I would like to see how the majority of you play these. Choose the action that you would play most of the time. I will comment on the results after I get a good number of responses.

(I wanted to use the poll function for these questions, but you're only allowed one poll per post. What the dillio!?!)

1. Loose/passive game, no one in yet, you have AJ in early position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

2. Typical game, two limpers to you in middle position with 33: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

3. Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

4. Loose/passive game, five limpers to you in C0-1 with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

5. Loose/passive game, a limper to you in EP with TT: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

6. Typical game, EP raise and MP reraise, rest folded, you have AQs in late position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

7. Typical game, folded to you in middle position with KJ: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

8. Typical game, EP raise then folded to you on the button with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

9. Loose/passive game, two EP limpers, a MP raise, and a MP reraise, you have KJs in LP: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

10. Tight/aggressive game, folded to you in MP with A9o: FOLD/LIMP RAISE?

bernie
06-14-2003, 06:54 PM
"1. Loose/passive game, no one in yet, you have AJ in early position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

is this offsuit? if it is and i dont know anything about the players, ill raise to see how the action is. if i get alot of passive callers, then next time i may lean towards just limping if it's real passive. sometimes folding.

"2. Typical game, two limpers to you in middle position with 33: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

limp

"3. Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

fold

"4. Loose/passive game, five limpers to you in C0-1 with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

i may take a peak at the flop, but id also fold at times. depends on how many Ax chasers are in.

"5. Loose/passive game, a limper to you in EP with TT: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

same as the AJ hand, though i wouldnt fold

"6. Typical game, EP raise and MP reraise, rest folded, you have AQs in late position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

fold

"7. Typical game, folded to you in middle position with KJ: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

raise

"8. Typical game, EP raise then folded to you on the button with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

fold unless this is a loose raise. if im coming in im 3 betting

"9. Loose/passive game, two EP limpers, a MP raise, and a MP reraise, you have KJs in LP: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?"

fold

"10. Tight/aggressive game, folded to you in MP with A9o: FOLD/LIMP RAISE? "

the closer to the CO the more i may open with it. but id fold most of the time...

many exceptions to my responses, so they are very generalized.

b

bunky9590
06-14-2003, 07:27 PM
1. Loose/passive game, no one in yet, you have AJ in early position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

Suited- 100% limp
Non suited 80% fold, 20% raise

2. Typical game, two limpers to you in middle position with 33: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

Limp

. Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

No Brainer, FOLD

90% fold, 10% raise

50% limp, 50% raise

6. Typical game, EP raise and MP reraise, rest folded, you have AQs in late position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

90% fold, 10% re-raise

75% fold, 25% raise, if suited; make it 50/50.

8. Typical game, EP raise then folded to you on the button with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

90% fold, 10% re-raise. A little higher if I think he/she will make that raise with 99, 88, or 77.

9. Loose/passive game, two EP limpers, a MP raise, and a MP reraise, you have KJs in LP: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

This hand would be back in the muck, SO FAST!!!

75% fold, 25% raise (as a steal mainly)

Bob T.
06-14-2003, 08:24 PM
1 raise
2 limp
3 fold
4 limp
5 raise
6 fold
7 raise
8 fold
9 fold
10 raise

DiamondDave
06-14-2003, 09:26 PM
1. Limp. Let the weak aces limp in with you. Fold if it's back around to you for two bets or more. Check-fold the flop if you don't make top pair or better.
2. Limp. Let everyone come in. Check-fold if you don't flop trips.
3. Call, but prepare to fold top pair on the flop if necessary.
4. Fold. You'll never know where you stand unless you flop two pair.
5. Limp. You want to play this hand against one opponent or all ten. Raising will get you maybe four opponents, which ain't good at all.
6. I'd play the hand for sure. I'd raise if...
a. my opponents often raise with less than what I have
b. they'll check to me on the flop
c. the people behind me have a calling problem
Otherwise, I'd just call and hope for a multiway pot.
7. Fold. KJo is really hard to play, especially if you don't have the button.
8. Fold. Never take on a legitimate EP raiser with ATo.
9. Call. KJs is waaay better than KJo, especially in a multiway pot. You don't want to help the raisers get others to fold, so I don't raise here.
10. Fold. I'd raise with this hand from 2 off the button if everyone folded to me. There are quite a few players that haven't acted yet. One might have a stronger ace.

DiamondDave
06-14-2003, 09:32 PM
And the other posters (who know what they're talking about, judging from their other posts) advocate playing really tight with suited hands in a raised pot.

I'll have to critique this aspect of my play.

BTW, I play 3/6 against some pretty bad players. (So many people come into the pot that I actually prefer A8s to AJo, especially if I have position.)

GrinningBuddha
06-14-2003, 09:56 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
3. Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Limp
2. In MY typical loose passive game, limp.
3. Fold
4. Limp or fold depending on who's limping ahead of me.
5. Limp usually
6. Re-raise
7. Limp
8. Fold
9. Fold
10. Fold

ML4L
06-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Before I give my answers, I would like to add that if you like questions such as this one, I think you should check out my "To catch a thief" post under General Hold 'Em...

My answers:

1) Definitely limp. AJo isn't a spectacular hand in EP, especially since you're probably going to play against 3-5 other players. If your raise won't thin the field, you limp (S&amp;M talk about this concept in their section on loose games).

2) I usually limp in this situation, even though I know I shouldn't if playing by the book. I'm generally aggressive enough to make this an OK play.

3) I would fold here. You're playing exclusively for the flush draw, and it just won't come often enough to make this a good call.

4) I think this is the closest of the ten situations. You might want to fold because there is a decent chance that your kicker is not going to be good on the ace and it will be tough to make a pair of tens stand up. You could call and hope that middle pair will call you down if you flop top pair. Or you could raise, hoping to push hard the whole way and knock enough people out to win the hand. My vote is for a call, with folding being a close second.

5) If there is a limper, I would limp behind and hope to see the flop seven-handed. A raise is probably going to narrow the field to three or four, which is the worst number of players for JJ or TT. Additionally, having less money in the pot will make it easier to push people out on the flop if TT looks like the best hand without having made a set. Incidentally, if EP raised, I would 3-bet, because that would be much more likely to get me heads-up.

6) This is another one that I know I probably don't play correctly. I would LOVE to be able to say honestly that I would muck my hand, but realistically, I don't see myself doing it. But, I'll lie and say that I would fold. In my own defense, I think this situation is very player dependent; sometimes a call here is very much correct, while other times it is suicidal...

7) Easy raise. I do a lot of open-raising in MP with mediocre hands if the game isn't too tough. Depending on a person's style, calling would be fine.

8) Easy fold. Making calls like this can get you into a TON of trouble, because SO much has to go right for you to win the hand (and the pot that you get will likely be a small one).

9) Easy fold. Your cards have no chance of being the best here. There's a chance that one of the other players will cap it. I think this is the easiest of the ten...

10) I would open-raise. This is similar to the KJo question in my mind. If I'm lucky, someone will three-bet me with a worse holding, knowing that I could be on a steal. If you aren't as aggressive as I am, I would strongly consider mucking, because that is a tough hand to play out of position if someone raises behind you.

ML4L
06-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Hey Bunky,

I hope I'm not out of place here, but I would recommend that you read the section in HPFAP on loose games. I think you will find some interesting opinions by S&amp;M about how to play situations such as #1, #4, and #5. Again, I hope you don't take offense; just trying to help a fellow player.

ML4L

Al_Capone_Junior
06-14-2003, 11:31 PM
1 raise
2 limp
3 borderline between call/fold. fold if UTG is tight or a good player
4 limp
5 limp
6 fold
7 raise, limp if aggressive player(s) are behind
8 fold
9 fold
10 raise

elysium
06-14-2003, 11:51 PM
hi mangsk

1)limp
2)fold
3)fold
4)fold
5)raise
6)fold
7)limp; but from LMP definately raise first in; it's close
8)fold
9)fold
10)fold

Robk
06-15-2003, 12:18 AM
1. L
2. L
3. F
4. F
5. L
6. F
7. No stock answer
8. F
9. F
10. F

slavic
06-15-2003, 05:59 AM
1. Loose/passive game, no one in yet, you have AJ in early position: <font color="red"> Raise </font color>

2. Typical game, two limpers to you in middle position with 33: <font color="red"> Limp </font color>

3. Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position: <font color="red"> Fold </font color>

4. Loose/passive game, five limpers to you in C0-1 with ATo: <font color="red">ouch depends on the limpers, I'll say limp looking to fold </font color>

5. Loose/passive game, a limper to you in EP with TT: <font color="red"> I'm no authority on TT, I raise if I can massivly cut down the field, but I also lose too much money with TT </font color>

6. Typical game, EP raise and MP reraise, rest folded, you have AQs in late position: <font color="red"> Fold </font color>

7. Typical game, folded to you in middle position with KJ: <font color="red"> Raise if I think it can win the blinds, else limp. If it's a terrible rake just limp or fold </font color>

8. Typical game, EP raise then folded to you on the button with ATo: <font color="red"> fold </font color>

9. Loose/passive game, two EP limpers, a MP raise, and a MP reraise, you have KJs in LP: <font color="red"> fold </font color>

10. Tight/aggressive game, folded to you in MP with A9o: <font color="red"> What am I doing in this game? Hmm Raise hope nobody calls </font color>

slavic
06-15-2003, 06:15 AM
DD - I've wondered about this myself. I like winning pots with them because they are normally massive but, I can't see calling two and 3 bets with them PF. I'm just hoping for a draw that may only complete a 3rd of the time, so I treat em like small pairs and want to see the flop cheap with 22 people playing if possible.

Porcupine
06-15-2003, 10:42 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Raise offsuit, limp with suited.
2. Limp
3. Fold
4. Limp
5. Raise
6. Fold
7. Raise
8. 80% fold/20% raise.
9. Fold
10. Raise

Mangatang
06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Here are the totals after 11 entries (again, I wanted to use the poll feature, but I don't mind doing it by hand.) It's interesting to see the variance in answers.

I want to give a chance to get more replies before I post my final comments.

1. Limp= 55%, Raise= 36%, Fold= 9%
Loose/passive game, no one in yet, you have AJo in early position

2. Limp= 91%, Fold= 9%, Raise= 0%
Typical game, two limpers to you in middle position with 33

3. Fold= 82%, Limp= 18%, Raise= 0%
Typical game, UTG raises, two cold callers, you have A5s in middle position

4. Limp= 64%, Fold= 36%, Raise= 0%
Loose/passive game, five limpers to you in C0-1 with ATo

5. Limp= 64%, Raise= 36%, Fold= 0%
Loose/passive game, a limper to you in EP with TT

6. Fold= 82%, Raise= 18%, Limp= 0%
Typical game, EP raise and MP reraise, rest folded, you have AQs in late position

7. Raise= 55%, Fold= 27%, Limp= 18%
Typical game, folded to you in middle position with KJo

8. Fold= 100%, Limp= 0%, Raise= 0%
Typical game, EP raise then folded to you on the button with ATo: FOLD/LIMP/RAISE

9. Fold= 91%, Limp= 9%, Raise= 0%
Loose/passive game, two EP limpers, a MP raise, and a MP reraise, you have KJs in LP

10. Fold= 55%, Raise= 45%, Limp= 0%
Tight/aggressive game, folded to you in MP with A9o

Joe Tall
06-16-2003, 02:58 PM

1. I assume AJo - Lately I've limped with this hand in the really-loose/passive foxwoods games that I play in. But it's a raise or fold hand when I play online.

2. 40% of the time limp, 60% of the time fold.

3. FOLD

4. Limp

5. Raise and try to isolate the EP limper.

6. Cap it or quit on it.

7. Assuming KJo limp, in LMP or later raise - KJs raise.

8. FOLD

9. Fold, KJs is going to be dominated by most hands deserving a raise and reraise from MP after 2 limpers.

10. Raise or fold, I will more often fold.

CrackerZack
06-16-2003, 04:54 PM
1.) Raise, if its loose your hand will dominate many more than are dominated.

2.) limp along and hope for one more behind. i find limps induce limps.

3.) Fold. does anything think this is close?

4.) Limp

5.) Raise

6.) Fold, again, does anyone think this is close?

7.) Fold or Raise. Depending on the definition of typical. If I have a reasonable chance of stealing the blinds, raise, if I have no chance, fold.

8.) Fold, if you're even considering playing this, I want to see your "typical" game.

9.) Fold, see comment in #8

10.) I'd Fold as if you get challenged you're in trouble.

CrackerZack
06-16-2003, 05:06 PM
KJs for 3-bets is utterly ridiculous. Not only can this possibly be capped but your implied odds have already been ruined and the only way you win is with the flush here.

As for the AJo vs A8s... in loose LL games, with position, I completely agree with you on that. I actually prefer A3s or A4s in these games as if I'm gonna have a crap kicker, I'd rather be able to make a straight with it also.

unome
06-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Great post!

I think of myslef as a pretty tight player, but judging by many responses on here, I may need to re-think even my hesitation about calling that A-5 suited after an ep raise and two cold callers-- I'm awfully tempted to play that hand for the chance to catch my hand with the flop and nice preflop pot. NOTE: Like Diamond Dave said, I'd think about getting off of it real fast if I hit an Ace on the flop but nothing else. I think this is a 50/50 call for me depending on circumstance of the table.

Homer
06-16-2003, 05:33 PM

AJo - Typically limp unless table isn't full, then raise
AJs - Raise/Limp/Limp-reraise

Easy limp

Easy fold

Limp

If I think I can narrow the field I raise, otherwise I limp

Fold unless EP and MP BOTH raise light

Raise if you have any chance to steal the blinds, otherwise limp

Easy fold

Easy fold

Raise if you have a GOOD chance to steal the blinds, otherwise fold

-- Homer

ResidentParanoid
06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
1. Limp 80%, never fold
2. Limp if chance of raise behind is slim
3. Fold
4. Fold
5. Limp
6. Call 2 cold but don't like it if no flush draw
7. raise 50%, fold 50%
8. raise 30%, fold 70%
9. limp, see 6
10. raise 20%, fold 80%

offTopic
06-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Nothing like the opportunity to find holes...

Raise most of the time, probably 85%. The other 15% I'd limp if I'm not feeling well, like the game on the tube isn't going my way, or the waitress is late with my order, etc.

If there are known callers behind me, I'll limp, otherwise fold. I play low, so usually get treated to passive games...make it 66.6% limp, 33.3% fold.

Fold.

Limp, and I'm sure this is a leak.

Raise every time. A lot of the time I'm not happy with subsequent actions after the raise, but I hate letting the BB in with J3o.

3 bets? Fold with clear conscience.

Offsuit? Fold. I don't play well enough postflop. Suited, I'll raise it and see what happens.

Fold. This is a headache waiting to happen.

Fold. Happily.

Raise and ask for a table change...why am I playing in a tight/aggressive game???

DiamondDave
06-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Against competent foes, KJs and A5s are not good hands to play in middle position in a raised pot. I completely agree. You're gonna pay a lot to draw your hand, and people won't pay you off if you hit it.

What if you can reasonably expect three or four opponents to call all bets and raises to the very end of the hand? Then is it not reasonable to see the flop with any huge draw? Especially if there people are three-betting before the flop and then it's checks around until the river?

Would you really fold KJs if the action players in the game are betting it up preflop with 86o and K9o AND if you can't remember the last time there wasn't at least one OVERcall on the river?

I definitely loosen up with drawing hands (and tighten up with big cards) when I can anticipate a lot of calling on future rounds. And I tighten up with drawing hands when I don't anticipate a big, multiway pot that is being contested by several players who are drawing dead.

I'm pretty confident that the plays I advocated in earlier posts are correct in the environment in which I currently play. I am open to the idea that they may be very wrong in other, tougher games. - /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif