PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein

diebitter
11-02-2005, 06:42 AM
I pick this one, as it forms the third of my top 3 favourite Frankenstein films. The other two are Bride of Frankenstein and Young Frankenstein, and given they've been mentioned in the last day or two on this forum, it seemed appropriate.

This film marked the final film for several of the universal monster franchises, such as the Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Dracula series, and is touted by some critics (but by no means all) as some sort of low-point.

Junk! This film works a treat on horrific and comedy levels - the monsters are treated with some respect, and not turned into clowns or parodies of themselves (unlike, say, Freddy Kreuger). To me, it marks a going out with a bang, and I consider this probably the best Abbot + Costello film by far. The title itself is a joke - Frankenstein is not a character in this film, much less someone the guys meet!

It's consistently funny, old-fashioned scary and good for young (probably 6-7 upwards) and old alike, and cracks along at a fair pace.

It's nicely filmed, nicely plotted, gives the boys time to do their funny stuff, and there's some crackerjack lines. Example:
"You don't understand. I sometimes turn into a wolf!"
"You and 20 million other guys!"

Even those that don't like Abbot and Costello, there's plenty here to like.

OVERALL: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY: Would stand twice a year, if you're in the mood

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

Recent Reviews: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3820477&an=&page=0&v c=1), The Hidden (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3814076&an=&page=0&v c=1)

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Frankenstein is a character in the movie, though, he's played by Glenn Strange. Dracula wants to wake him up to use as his own. I don't think A+C run into him until late in the film though. They mostly deal w/ Cheney's Wolf Man.

This is one of the best of Cheney's unintentionally hilarious Wolf Man performances. "Please, you've got to lock me up..." A movie where the moon seems to get full every night.

After the second beautiful woman in as many scenes throws herself at Costello, Abbot drags him over by the window and stares at him. Lou: What? Bud: I just wanted to get a good look at you in the light.

I don't think its the best A+C flick (I think Who Done It is a great film, for one), but it's definitely the best of the A+C Meets...titles. The Vincent Price cameo rules.

diebitter
11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Glenn Strange (who did an okay job) == Frankenstein's monster

Frankenstein was the mad doctor, and not in this one (nor brother, son, ghost or whatever). But let's not nitpick.

There's some great little bits in this. The 'let me see you in the light' was good, but there was also:

Frankenstein monster lunges at Lou, and Dracula grabs him, and says something like 'Stop! Don't be frightened! He won't hurt you...' to the monster...

Lon chaney Jr: "Each night, when the moon rises, I become a wolf..."
Lou Costello: "I'm a bit of a wolf myself..."

hehehe

imported_The Vibesman
11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankenstein was the mad doctor, and not in this one (nor brother, son, ghost or whatever). But let's not nitpick.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OK, OK. Haven't heard that one since I was a 12 year old reading Fangoria w/ my buddies.

The bit when they deliver the crate to the museum is good stuff too. I've got to watch this again, I barely remember it.

pryor15
11-02-2005, 02:08 PM
how did i know this was coming?

Dominic
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I've always LOVED this movie.