PDA

View Full Version : The protected all-in call

zac777
11-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Here's the spot: 200/400 blinds, still 7 people left, no big stacks. You are UTG+1 with a mediocre hand that doesn't play well in a 3-4 person pot (let's say 55). You only have 400 chips left.

I think I would rather put my money in after UTG has pushed (provided that his stack is large enough to cripple/eliminate anyone who calls), than I would if it was folded to me. Here's why:

1. The other players will be less likely to call with a push from decent sized stack staring them in the face, which means I'm less likely to face a limp, sb complete, etc.

2. Everyone is getting desparate and UTG will have lowered his raising standards.

3. The dead blinds are worth a ton to me.

4. I don't have very long to wait for a good hand.

This comes up everyone once in a while (just happened, which reminded me again) and I was wondering if anyone else has put any thought into this situation. It's fairly unusual, but I think there are a few spots where it could be useful. 55 might be a bad example because you'd probably get your money in either way, but I think there could be hands that you would call with a push before you and fold if you were the opener..

ChrisV
11-02-2005, 02:48 AM
This move is pretty well known among good long-time SNG players, although the exact situation you describe isnt optimal.

The best place to use it is on the bubble when the big stack is stealing the blinds of the medium stacks because you're almost out. The major factor is the dead blinds which add huge equity. In this situation you can do it with hands much weaker than 55.

In the situation you describe I'd want a decent hand because the chance of someone waking up behind me with a good hand is reasonably high.

HesseJam
11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Yup, the situation you describe is a good one.

I also like doing the "desperado donk move":

I also move in small stack if two or more in front of me have raised but not yet all-inned the pot and I have something like 56s (or even worse b/c unsuited or gapped). Chances are that I am not dominated (other 2 have high cards) and can quadruple my stack if I hit my hand well (at least 2 pair). I can sometimes even win with one pair if one of the two raisers goes all-in after my call to drive the other raiser/ raise-caller out.