PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

PoBoy321
11-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Now before anyone jumps on me for it, I know that the term "classical music" is a misuse of a term used to describe a specific period of music in the 1700s. Whatever, I'm misusing it, but if you need me to be clear, classical music stretches from the renaissance to the romantic period.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed classical music but never really felt like I had much of an appreciation for it. I never really got to know specific composers, styles, compositions, etc., but always wanted to be somewhat knowledgable. The problem, as I think is usually the problem with any endeavor, is that I have no idea where to start, so does anyone have any recommendations on books or websites to start to develop an appreciation for it?

leehrat
11-02-2005, 02:04 AM
advice based on my limited experience:

baroque period: anything by bach particularly the brandenburg concertos. delightful to listen to.

classical: mozart of course, and beethoven.

romantic: wagner (huge), tchaikovsky (late romantic), brahms

the big 4 are bach mozart beethoven and wagner. enjoy

Blarg
11-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Start with Mozart. I hate opera, but I like plenty of his music. His is probably the most accessible in a lot of ways.

Beethoven is great but can be very intense and moody and take more of a concentration span, I think.

Bach is someone it's easy to like or dislike, or grow to like. It depends a lot on how used you are to his music already and of course what piece you're on. It can be very repetitive and sometimes sound more like a mathematical idea than music. But sometimes that's actually pretty good too. Maybe a little harder to get into than the other two.

A classical radio station is a great way to start to get a feel for it. You can just have it on in the background and find yourself turning it up on good pieces and saying Wow, what was that? There are almost certainly pieces of classical music out there to suit you.

Keep an ear out for specialty tastes, too, like classical guitar, violin-heavy pieces, piano-only songs, etc. Some of that is a very individual taste, but some of it is really outstanding.

Don't feel obligated to like what somebody else likes, or you won't have any fun.

Go Blue
11-02-2005, 02:36 AM
This is good that you want to get to know classical music. Personally, for me, it's by far the best thing to listen to while multitabling. Most of my advice is the same as what other people said. To be more specific, start with the more famous pieces and go from there. I'd first of all recommend listening to all of Beethoven's symphonies (there are nine of them) becuase in my opinion, this is the pinnacle of "classical" music. Aside from that, one good thing is to pick up a mix CD, something like "classical favorites" or "great symphonies" or the like. What's on there will give you a good feeling for pieces by various composers. Finally, as someone already suggested, listen to a classical radio station. Some great stuff on those. Good times.

jason_t
11-02-2005, 02:37 AM
Start with WQXR, the classical music station of the New York Times. You can listen to it online. Use their online schedule to find out what you like.

Get some of the bare essentials:

Bach: Brandenburg concertos, Goldberg variations, Violin concertos
Beethoven: Piano sonatas Appasionata, Moonlight and Pathetique and symphonies 3/5/7/9
Chopin: Nocturnes and preludes
Dvorak: Cello concerto, Symphony 9, Slavonic dances
Haydn: String quartets Op. 76, symphony 94
Mozart: Requiem
Rachmaninov: Piano concertos
Schubert: Trout quintet
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring
Verdi: Get a CD of arias
Vivaldi: Four seasons

Pick up a book like

The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection

or

The New York Times Essential Library: Classical Music.

If you want to buy music use ArkivMusic (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp).

Bump this thread when you find something you like and some us can suggest similar pieces.

TheMetetron
11-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Good thread. Thanks for the responses guys.

The only thing I know I like is Wagner.

PoBoy321
11-02-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Start with WQXR, the classical music station of the New York Times. You can listen to it online. Use their online schedule to find out what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason why I started this thread. I've been listening to WQXR since my 7th grade math teacher told me that if you listen to classical music at night you'll sleep better and have a clearer head. Since I'm studying tonight I've been listening to it while I study.

El Ishmael
11-02-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/220000/226400/226475/products/10572785.jpg

jason_t
11-02-2005, 02:47 AM
Honus, lol.

ChipWrecked
11-02-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Scares the hell out of the slopes"

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/MyWebFilms/Oorlog/ApocalypseHelicopters.jpg

Go Blue
11-02-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Beethoven: Piano sonatas Appasionata, Moonlight and Pathetique and symphonies 3/5/7/9

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not listening to Beethoven's even numbered symphonies, you're missing out on a lot. #6 is my favorite, especially the first movement (other than #9 of course).

Also, add Rossini to that list. Some of those overtures are great works and are very easy to listen to.

jason_t
11-02-2005, 03:05 AM
3/5/7/9 are the best and most accessible. I love and listen to all the symphonies regularly. 7 is the best, even above 9.

El Ishmael
11-02-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Scares the hell out of the slopes"

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/MyWebFilms/Oorlog/ApocalypseHelicopters.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What an awesome scene.

InchoateHand
11-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Who is playing is as important as what is being played.

I suggest Glenn Gould for Bach, and then you also get to see the movie, "32 Short Films on Glenn Gould."

jason_t
11-02-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true, but if he uses WQXR and the books I suggested he will also get introduced to the great performers, conductors and chamber groups and orchestras.

InchoateHand
11-02-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is very true, but if he uses WQXR and the books I suggested he will also get introduced to the great performers, conductors and chamber groups and orchestras.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I just wanted a chance to plug an awesome little movie.

jaydub
11-02-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong where new listeners are concerned

InchoateHand
11-02-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. You don't need years of "refined" listening to have an immediate and visceral preference for one conductor over another, one performer over another. Absolute classical neophytes (which the OP isn't) can distinguish between two different sounds, and presumably choose their own preference. If this isn't the case, then what is being played doesn't matter either.

Go Blue
11-02-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3/5/7/9 are the best and most accessible. I love and listen to all the symphonies regularly. 7 is the best, even above 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true, I guess. But nothing is above 9. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually last week, I finally got to hear the 9th symphony performed live. It was about time, as I've been waiting years for a chance to hear it played. Worth every minute.

jaydub
11-02-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. You don't need years of "refined" listening to have an immediate and visceral preference for one conductor over another, one performer over another. Absolute classical neophytes (which the OP isn't) can distinguish between two different sounds, and presumably choose their own preference. If this isn't the case, then what is being played doesn't matter either.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to misunderstand my meaning. to a new listener trying to evaluate tastes and preferences, the differences between pieces are far greater than the differences between performers.

jason_t
11-02-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to misunderstand my meaning. to a new listener trying to evaluate tastes and preferences, the differences between pieces are far greater than the differences between performers.

[/ QUOTE ]

To an extent you're right: it doesn't matter if he listens to Alfred Brendel or Wilhelm Kempf perform Beethoven's piano sonatas. To an extent you're wrong: there is a glut of bad emotionless performances of many of the great pieces of classical music.

Rick Nebiolo
11-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Try some string quartets of Haydn and Schubert. Naxos has some very good $6 CDs featuring the Kronos Quartet.

~ Rick

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 12:54 AM
OK, Jason_T wanted me to come back with a couple of songs I particularly liked, so here's a short list, although I know that I've heard other songs that I liked but can't remember.

Handel - Water Music
Mozart - Turkish March
Beethoven - Symphonies 7 and 9
Rimsky - Flight of the Bumble Bee

Also, that music that WQXR always uses, I obviously can't recreate it here, but the best I can do is it sounds like "Dun dun (pause) dun dun." They use it when they're coming back from commercial breaks, and if you listen, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. I found an MP3 with that little segment, but I'd like to find the full pieece.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm a complete moron and put the wrong composers with any of these pieces.

Chobohoya
11-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Take one of the music courses offered by Professor DelDonna at Georgetown. I'm not sure what they're offering next semester, but it'll be the most enojoyable A you ever get.

If you like Rimsky-Korsakov, then get ahold of Cappriccio Espangole and the Scheherazade Suite fast. They're both terrific pieces.

You liked Beethoven 7 and 9 right? Listen to Brahms 1 and 4, 4 especially will blow you away.

BobboFitos
11-03-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nazi

jason_t
11-03-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Handel - Water Music

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't already get all three Water Music suites and also check out Music for the Royal Fireworks.

[ QUOTE ]

Mozart - Turkish March

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Haydn and Mozart's piano sonatas as well as Mozart's rondos and Beethoven's bagatelles.

[ QUOTE ]
Beethoven - Symphonies 7 and 9

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to his other symphones as well as the symphonies of Dvorak (7/9) and Brahms (1/4).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, that music that WQXR always uses, I obviously can't recreate it here, but the best I can do is it sounds like "Dun dun (pause) dun dun." They use it when they're coming back from commercial breaks, and if you listen, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. I found an MP3 with that little segment, but I'd like to find the full pieece.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me the mp3.

Chobohoya
11-03-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Listen to his other symphones as well as the symphonies of Dvorak (7/9) and Brahms (1/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choices. I was going to mention those exact same Dvorak Symphonies, but I figured Brahms was enough for one night.

I actually saw Dvorak 7 live 2 weeks ago. The main feature was Bruch's Scottish Fantasie, so that stole the show, but that symphony is terrific, and the New World is one of my all time favorites.