PDA

View Full Version : What X'mas gift to buy poker players?

AnnieCruz86
11-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Or, put it another way, what would you like to get as a poker player? It doesn't have to be limited to chips or cards or tables. It could be a special mouse you'd like for online poker, or a type of cigar you love to smoke during poker games.

Be as creative as possible! As long as it is somewhat related to poker or online poker I want to know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Josh W
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
For years I've told friends/loved ones that I'd rather have dirt than a poker-related gift.

AnnieCruz86
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I know what you mean, sort of. Some of my friends know I love poker, so I get all these cheap poker sets for Christmas. I appreciate the thought, but come on, plastic chips? Grrrrr.

I'm not looking for just poker-related gifts. Think in terms of a broader category of anything that is related to the poker LIFESTYLE.

Single-malt scotch, for example, is considered by some of my friends as an essential part of their poker experience.

ttw22
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
High quality p*ker books they don't already have. Beyond that, it's probably usually best to cater to their other interests.

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Wear this (http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-TEXAS-HOLD-EM-POKER-FUNNY-COLOR-T-SHIRT_W0QQitemZ7557807131QQcategoryZ3180QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem) for him, and nothing else.

rusellmj
11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Some friends are haveing a bday get together for me tomorrow night. The wife always make all my favorites.
The carne, tamales and sometimes chicharones (sp?).
I usually bring them something in return.
Picked up this little number about an hour ago.

You guys think I did good?

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1488/patron21ry.jpg

Voltron87
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
if some chick got me poker stuff as a gift, it would be really lame and not a good choice at all.

get him something else.

benkahuna
11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
There's really no substitute for cold, hard cash.

DaveKForty7
11-01-2005, 11:32 PM
rakeback

or booze

manpower
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Get him a 20.5 inch WUXGA monitor from Dell. The good news is he'll be able to fit all 4 tables on the screen with no overlap. The bad news is the price.

reo
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's really no substitute for cold, hard cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best. Post. Ever.

pudley4
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I think I'm getting this (no joke)

http://www.ioffer.com/img/.tmp/4angels2angels_811183011.jpg

I'm going to kill my neighbors on 12/26...

Randy_Refeld
11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or, put it another way, what would you like to get as a poker player? It doesn't have to be limited to chips or cards or tables. It could be a special mouse you'd like for online poker, or a type of cigar you love to smoke during poker games.

Be as creative as possible! As long as it is somewhat related to poker or online poker I want to know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a really bad idea to buy something for someone else's hobby unless they let you know specifically what they want. Chances are if they want it they already have it.

AnnieCruz86
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey, I may be a girl but I'm not without taste. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, I hear what a lot of you guys are saying--that it is hard to shop for someone else's hobby. But the friends I'm buying this for have always been pretty good at buying stuff for stuff that I'm interested in, so I thought I should return the favor.

The books and liquor suggestions are pretty good, I might give those a try. Not sure about the cash though... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

krimson
11-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Every poker player enjoys clothing items with the Ace of Spades on it. Hats, shoes, shirts, pants, socks, hats and anything else. Oh, and shirts.

bones
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
A better rakeback deal.

usmfan
11-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Lots and lots of oral.

bwana devil
11-02-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots and lots of oral.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you dont still live w/ your parents.

bwana

tonypaladino
11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm getting this (no joke)

http://www.ioffer.com/img/.tmp/4angels2angels_811183011.jpg

I'm going to kill my neighbors on 12/26...

[/ QUOTE ]

haha......you can make a Royal Flush
::drums::

ZenMusician
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha......you can make a Royal Flush
::drums::

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never uttered this before, but YSSCKY /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-ZEN

jesusarenque
11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some friends are haveing a bday get together for me tomorrow night. The wife always make all my favorites.
The carne, tamales and sometimes chicharones (sp?).
I usually bring them something in return.
Picked up this little number about an hour ago.

You guys think I did good?

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1488/patron21ry.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent choice

J.A.Sucker
11-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Personally, I would like about 100,000 dollars. That's my favorite poker gift. 10K if you can't afford more would be OK.

cbragado
11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I use my IPOD when I'm playing online or B&M. The new IPOD or even the Nano would be really cool for Christmas.

cocofrite
11-03-2005, 07:16 PM
New sunglasses

A trip and a tourney buy-in to a pokerroom he doesn't know (it feels really good to have your personal pom-pom girl while playing)

Oblivious
11-03-2005, 11:30 PM
mp3 player if he doesnt have one... otherwise get him a watch.

MicroBob
11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if some chick got me poker stuff as a gift, it would be really lame and not a good choice at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My GF did get me a poker item as a gift last year.
I was DEFINITELY really lame.
But it was still an outstanding choice.

She was shopping at the mall and walked past a shirt that said POKER KING in relatively large letters.
Just lame enough that it was pretty funny.

Other than semi-funny things like that i'm not terribly interested in poker-related gifts.

Only if it's the worst and lamest poker shirt or hat would I actually kind of enjoy it.

Also - I'm looking at the Greg Raymer bobble-head doll that came in my PokerStars WSOP package.
That's silly enough to qualify as a decent gift too.

MicroBob
11-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah...there was a thread a few months back some guy wrote.

It was their 10th wedding anniversay I think...she got him a few poker-books which he thought was really odd since they didn't have anything to with THEM...just HIM.

Inside one of the books was airfare for 2 to Las Vegas....and maybe it was inside that there was an entry to a $1500 event at the WSOP (his first time to Vegas AND to the World Series of Poker I believe).

Something like that I think.

It might have been USMfan who had this ultra-cool gift from the wifey.

Too early to buy a WSOP entry.
But a trip for 2 to Vegas (or Atlantic City...or whatever) doesn't have to be THAT ultra-expensive and could be a decent idea worth considering.

4_2_it
11-04-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She was shopping at the mall and walked past a shirt that said POKER KING in relatively large letters.
Just lame enough that it was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is excellent!

How many times have you worn that shirt in public? Be honest......FWIW -- I would wear it every time I planned to donk it up at the 2/4 tables.......

SoSo
11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
your funny...

Rushmore
11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
From what I have seen in the last five years, the average poker player should be given a copy of Resumes For Dummies and a free semester at Cross Bronx Expressway Junior College.

Oops, sorry. I mean a LOT of money, and a pat on the back for finally "figuring out poker."

That's what I wish all of the poker players all over the world would get.