PDA

View Full Version : high pair vs. high pair w/ weak flop

lotus776
11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
A situation I find myself in almost every MTT I play in is that I will raise heavily PF in middle or early position with hands like JJ and 10 10 and usually get called by or or two others. The flop comes rags; like 8s 4h 2c. Most recently the flop came with 9h 5d 9c and I was holding 10 10. So I bet aggressively after the flop foping to take the pot right there but I am called curiously. The turn also hold nothing of value and make another large bet only to get re-raised all in and be dominated by a higher pocket pair.

How should I combat this situation? Any player with any stack is gonna call a huge raise PF w/ a huge pair if not rereraise himself. When the board comes low, I'm not gonna give him a free card to draw to his hand and the reason I bet so much is to convince him that even though he's invested a large portion of his stack he shouldn't continue with this hand.

How do I play this?

11-01-2005, 11:17 PM
When I flop an overpair to the board, and someone reraises me all in, unless I see a good reason why I don't have the best hand, all my chips are going in. If I lose to a higher pocket pair, it wasn't meant to be that time, thats poker for ya.

lotus776
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
bummer

Sam T.
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I've made my peace with going to felt with a flopped overpair. Sometimes they have a set, sometimes they have two pair, but against low buy-in donkeys it's +EV.

With the cold-call on a paired board, I pretty much shut it down. The call isn't curious, the call is 9x.