PDA

View Full Version : pre-flop peeking?

07-24-2002, 11:55 PM
This is cross-posted from the "General" forum because it seems to have some significant poker psychology aspects to it as well. I apologize if some of you find this duplicative.

I play 99% of my poker online. However, I will be playing at a B&M next week and have a related topic for discussion. I have read varying opinions regarding whether to look at your hole cards before the action gets to you. By not looking, and thus watching the other players, you can try to pick up tells. By looking, you can be thinking about the relative value of your hand as the action progresses.

I have found that, playing online, I have time to talk myself into playing a marginal hand periodically because I've seen it for so long. That sounds weird, but I bet I'm not the only one to experience this. This seems more likely to occur if one peeks in live play because the action is slower (thus more time to talk oneself into playing a marginal hand).

Anyway, my questions are: (1) Do you peek or not pre-flop before it's your turn to act? (2) Why do you play that way?

07-25-2002, 12:14 PM
I prefer to know what I hold well in advance of my final decision. It enables me too reevaluate my original intention based on the prior action. As for falling in love with a hand that should be mucked I just don't do it.

Jimbo

07-26-2002, 03:35 AM
I don't look at my hand 'til it's time to act so that I can't be read by people playing in front of me. Even more importantly, I am busy watching the other players reading their hands, so I don't have time to peek. I am always amazed by players who squeeze out their hands (even two-card hold 'em hands) and are completely oblivious to what the other players are doing. It gives me a good idea of how they play.