PDA

View Full Version : Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker?

AA suited
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
From my other THREAD (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3834964&an=0&page=0&gone w=1#UNREAD).

i used to be a hardcore gamer and spending countless hrs on games like AOE II.

then i played poker part time (while still having a full time job), and i couldnt finish Max Payne 2.

Now that i've started playing poker full time, i've stopped playing video games all together. I no longer have an interest.

it's like i can only handle one computer addiction at a time.

yet in my non-poker playing hrs, i spend most of that time surfing the web.

WHY does a person lose interest in video games since playing online poker? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Autocratic
11-01-2005, 07:54 PM
It's hard to maintain multiple time-consuming hobbies. I actually had the same thing happen to me, though I still play video games a good bit.

davet
11-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Probably because as you get older, the world of imagination doesn't appeal to you as much anymore. Poker is also far more difficult and complex than anygame.
I probably helps you are interacting with real characters.

AA suited
11-01-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to maintain multiple time-consuming hobbies. I actually had the same thing happen to me, though I still play video games a good bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess poker is my perfect job since i think of it as a hobby like gaming, instead of something i dread doing.

Xhad
11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm going through the same thing myself. I think most of it is the fact that despite the fact that I love gaming, once I started playing games competitively against other people I stopped being interested in single-player video games. As though playing any game against an AI is sort of like beating it when you could be having sex.

Python49
11-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Same thing happened to me, but the simple answer si that.. theres no time for gaming when you're spending all those hours on poker.

11-02-2005, 09:32 AM
I used to be a hardcore gamer until I got into poker. I used to play mmorpgs, pc fpsers, and console rpgs. Not anymore.

Since I started winning at poker I just don't make time for games anymore. I keep looking at my growing stack of ps2 games and say to myself "im going to make some time and play this game." But I've yet to do so.

I think in my case its just hard for me to justify spending 20-40 hours on a ps2 rpg when I could be playing online poker and building my bankroll.

Maybe this is a sign of addiction but as long I am keeping my grades up and winning I don't see how its a bad thing.

rwanger
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Poker has almost entirely killed my video gaming as well. If you're a winning player, and playing at medium limits or higher, it's hard to pass up all the money you could be making playing poker instead.

Any time of mine where I'm not at my real job or playing poker, I spend being social and/or being active. Video games are usually neither social (unless there is a group of friends playing some game), nor active (unless you are playing Dance Dance Revolution).

No big loss though right? I apparently don't miss them enough to get back into gaming. Plus, who needs another interest that involves intense concentration while staring at a screen? One is plenty.

11-02-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing any game against an AI is sort of like beating it when you could be having sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Make that double for playing a video poker game. It's worse than beating it. It's like rubbing your crotch against a pillow while looking at the women's underwear section of your JC Penny catalogue.

orange
11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I agree. I too used to be a hardcore AOE II:TC gamer, that is, until poker. My gaming obsession died as my desire to play poker grew. It's strange how it can change so quickly...

11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
its a case of maturity many people i know who dont play poker have also stoped most video game play.

in recient times the games have become all the same but just a new name on the box

one thing is i forced myself to play some last week and enjoyed it again so now when i play poker for 3/4 hours and go on break i will play games for a few hours or just an hour or so. This to my suprise has made my poker better.

Its almost like resetting the mind to think outside the box
and going back to the tables later for another session I play better.

Usualy fun games like rally and gp racing are best.

wall_st
11-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I have noticed the same thing since I started playing quite a bit. Whenever I start playing video games, I think that I should be playing pokre instead and making money.

smoore
11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
fragging someone is fun, stacking someone is FUNNERER!

11-03-2005, 01:33 AM
dude try AOE 3 its so much better than aoe 2.

I still play pc games. I like to play something fast paced like battlefield 2 so i can highten my senses before a poker session and kind of condition my brain. Also helps to wake me up. Also games are a good way to take out any bad beat frustrations, or to clear your mind after some losing sessions.

JKratzer
11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
I still play video games, but usually as a social thing b/c my roommates play also. I bought Madden 2006 and it cost like $50. I commented to my friend who was with me that the actual cost was a couple thousand dollars due to the time I spend playing that game instead of poker.

KaneKungFu123
11-03-2005, 03:41 AM
i only played video games when i was younger 10-13. what a complete waste of time. whatever happened to virtual reality games? wasnt that the wave of the future?

11-03-2005, 05:30 AM
wait till you get a load of civ 4, youll eat your words!

Harv72b
11-05-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wait till you get a load of civ 4, youll eat your words!

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured someone would've beat me to this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was never a hardcore gamer, but I was an NFL fanatic...I followed all the news from every team in the league, played in multiple fantasy leagues, even did some writing work for a fantasy football website. As soon as I discovered poker, fantasy football went out the window. A couple years ago at this point I could've quoted you every offensive player who scored a touchdown last weekend. Now, I couldn't even tell you most teams' records.

11-05-2005, 02:43 AM
gaming is -EV
poker is +EV

That's why. I've noticed I've stopped following sports as much as I used to and am not playing as many videogames as I used to either.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-05-2005, 03:54 AM
It's a combo of less time, less desire to compete, and realizing that time I play gaming is costing me money.

Myst
11-05-2005, 04:17 AM
You have a problem.

Daniel Negreanu still plays Tiger Woods on a regular basis.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-05-2005, 04:25 AM
I still play more than 25hrs a week. I used to average much more, and I really don't care how much D.N. plays TW2kX unless he want's to play me for money in it, in which case I'm game.