PDA

View Full Version : How to waste half an hour

Arnfinn Madsen
11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I was going to bring a car I have rented back to the airport in Poznan, Poland today. I drove out from the parking lot and decided I was so familiar with the city now that I could take a shortcut. However, after a few curves I realized my short cut was not so smart. I turned around, and drove back. 50 metres down the street a car blocks the road in front of me. I have to stop and out of the car comes two men in uniform rushing towards me.

I roll down the window, and I am used to police officers not being so fluent in language, so I start speaking in Polish with them. My 1000-word or so vocabulary is however insufficient and the whole discussion becomes very complicated. They ask me for a lot of documents and I somewhat manage to explain that it is not my car and I have no clue what kind of documents they want. I give them a few papers from the gloves' compartment. They seem to be satisfied with them and hand them back.

Then they explain me that I have been driving in the wrong direction /images/graemlins/blush.gif. The matter is however that I turned around at a spot from which the sign was not visible and their headlights blocked the next one. We spend something like 10 minutes discussing this but to my disappointment (I have about a 80% rate of not getting fines) they say that I should get a minimum fine (appx. $100).

Then, they ask me where I live, and I explain to them that I live in Poland. They find this very hard to believe and seem to think that it is some kind of trick to make them send the fine to a non-existing address. They say that I have to pay there, and I will get a receipt. However, as I have no cash I say that I will have to go to a cash machine. They instruct me to follow them, and after about a 5 min. drive we get there. I take out the cash and one of them tells me to wait in the police car while the other one will write the fine.

In the police car our communication becomes better as I give up completely on Polish and his English is rather well (seemed like he did not want to embarass his colleague by switching to English). He tells me that my maneuver was very dangerous and driving in Poland in general is dangerous. I tell him that I have been driving a lot around in Poland and I know how dangerous it is and I would never do anything to add extra risk. That sentence must have been convincing, because he stops talking with me and after a 2 minutes discussion with his colleague (who has now issued the fine), he tells me that he realizes that the sign could not be visible from my perspective. He tells me that giving me a fine feels wrong, since I am not to blame and tells me I am free to leave without any fine.

So after a shortcut costing me about half an hour, I head to the airport /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Yeti
11-01-2005, 07:56 PM
How to waste 60 seconds

Read this thread.

Bigdaddydvo
11-01-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How to waste 60 seconds

Read this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately I read your response first and wasted only 3!

Arnfinn Madsen
11-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Okay, sorry if I wasted your time. The story has a deeper, very fun humour if you would have had any encounters with Eastern European police (hint: it was not really I who wasted half an hour).

Yeti
11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I was mildly entertained by it, but it's too much fun to be a jerk round here and I couldn't resist the obvious joke. No hard feelings!

Arnfinn Madsen
11-01-2005, 08:08 PM
No prob, it would be funnier if you would know the mentality of some of this police. Finding a foreigner with money guilty of something is usually like winning the jackpot for them, so it was sort of fun to deny them their prize.

TheMainEvent
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I just realized that I spend about 3 minutes trying really hard to puzzle out what the OP was about based on the replies without actually having to read it.

InchoateHand
11-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I am impressed with your ability to escape fineage. I have been pulled over for "driving while foreign," and nothing short of a percentage of this particular fine upfront alleviated the situation.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I became good at it when working in Russia, since being a foreigner with foreign license plates there meant that you could drive on green light and be stopped by police claiming you drove on red. Luckily some guy had told me before that if you start paying all the guys who always have a reason you owe them money, you attract more people telling you that you owe them money, and finally you just have to leave the country. So I stood hard on the "never pay"-principle.

Poland is luckily much more civilized though, 1st time I am stopped here (and it was due to wrongdoing)