PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 live turn decision, maybe boring

ArtVandelay
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
live 5/10 NLH; we were short-handed for an hour and I was lagging it up big-time, winning almost half the pots (most players in this game only know how to play full); we've been full for half an hour though, and I've switched gears to pretty TAG (not sure who's noticed and who hasn't)

UTG straddles for 20, donkey limps in MP, and villain makes it 100 to go from 2 off the button

villain is extremely loose-aggressive pre-flop and about average post-flop... overall he's not too tricky but can play hands pretty strangely at times

I call on the button with AKo because a) if I raise villain can play back with less than AA/KK and I'll be unhappy b) mild deception value... whatever though, I don't care about pre-flop on this hand

SB, straddler, and limper call as well, and we take the flop 5 handed with about 500 in the pot; I have 1700 left, and everyone has me covered (deep game, yummy)

flop is KdQs6s (I have no spades), and it's checked to me; I bet 500, and SB says "you just can't resist betting when it's checked to your button, can you?" (indeed I had done so every time in the short-handed, and it usually worked)... after a long stare-down SB folds, as do the straddler and limper, and villain now calls

1500 in the pot with 1200 behind, and the turn is a jack making the board KdQs6sJd (I have no diamonds either); my opponent checks, and I have no physical read

what should I do?

11-02-2005, 03:33 AM
I'ld check behind and pray for a river 10. If villain leads out on river I'm folding unless he bets very cheap. He called a pot sized bet on the flop, after a strong pf raise, I think he really likes his hand. You said he tends to play hands weird sometimes, those people seem to also like to slow play alot from my experience. I think your up against a set of K's or Q's, don't see much your ahead of at this point.

Garland
11-02-2005, 03:52 AM
I think it's a pretty easy push.

(a) Pot is big; your stack is small==> Pot committed.
(b) The J isn't as scary as a 3rd spade or an A or 9 IMO.
(c) You don't want to let a free card on the river crush you.
(d) Even if he has you beaten, you have at least 4 outs, (or 3 chop outs in the unlikely event he has AT).
(e) You don't want a scary river card to hit and your opponent to bet. Even the most passive opponents without the goods will take a stab once in a while if the pot is big enough.
(f) Even if a blank arrives on the river, are you prepared to call?
(g) Those who bets, gets. Words I live by.

Garland

11-02-2005, 04:00 AM
What hands you putting villain on that your ahead of at this point?

Garland
11-02-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What hands you putting villain on that your ahead of at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ax/images/graemlins/spade.gif
xx/images/graemlins/spade.gif
JT
KT
AQ
AJ

Shall I go on?

Garland