PDA

View Full Version : Full time poker players: Do you play video games (Civ 4, AOE3, etc)?

AA suited
11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
i used to be a hardcore gamer and spending countless hrs on games like AOE II.

then i played poker part time (while still having a full time job), and i couldnt finish Max Payne 2.

Now that i've started playing poker full time, i've stopped playing video games all together. I no longer have an interest.

it's like i can only handle one computer addiction at a time.

yet in my non-poker playing hrs, i spend most of that time surfing the web.

If you're a full time poker player, do you still play video games? If so, how do you do it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Raydain
11-01-2005, 07:22 PM
So what are the non-full time players suppose to do in this poll?

RaiNz
11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I used to play tons of AOK and CS. Now I usually only play console games. No more PC games. Did you play Age on the zone? What was your sn?

11-01-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what are the non-full time players suppose to do in this poll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not vote.

Unoriginalname
11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm basically exactly the same as you. I was big into computer games before poker. Now that I play poker, I don't really have much interest in computer games anymore. I don't know why. When I'm not playing poker, I too surf the net a lot. 2+2 is the web site that by far gets the majority of my attention. I will occasionally play DOTA (war3 mod. fun as hell) with my buddies though.

theben
11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
damn right i do. ill be buying civ4, SW battlefront 2, and when it hits empire at war. (the last title has nothing to do with the party split!)

BlackRain
11-02-2005, 07:21 AM
I still play some SCBW and AOE but nothing like before.

evil_twin
11-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I like to have a good online FPS blast to let off steam after a poker session. Battlefield 2 is the current, it used to be Counterstrike, before that Battlefield 1. I like games that I can play to 20-30 minutes, I don't want to get sucked into a 5 hour marathon session. That's what poker is for.

11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
The past 3 months games have really prevented me from hitting my monthly hand goals, and now with Civ 4, it does not look good for this month either. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Margon

Terry
11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I haven't played any poker since Civ 4 hit the store last week ... few more days and my little vacation will be over and I'll get back to work.

w_alloy
11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I've tossed and deleted 5 games about 12 times total. Videogames are the number 1 enemy to my poker career (besides sucking).

fooz
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes. On Act II Scene 3 of aoe3 right now. Psyched to try some multiplayer.

Civ IV will definitely be next.

Playing a casual tournament on the laptop while gaming on the main computer can be a nice break from multi-tabling. Works better with the turn-based games.

DrSavage
11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played any poker since Civ 4 hit the store last week ... few more days and my little vacation will be over and I'll get back to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was telling myself about WoW. Few days turned out to be seven months.

Adam22
11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
i used to be addicted to minesweeper and solitaire before poker. i haven't been too into console or PC games since jr. high.

11-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I still play video games, but not as much since I started playing poker.

I will definitely pick up my play when the new Xbox 360 comes out later this month.

sourbeaver
11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I can't say I don't play a little World of Warcraft once in a while.

Maddenboy
11-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I play a regular amount of Madden on the PC. Maybe 4-5 games per week in online leagues. Very seldom against the cpu.

But its funny, I bought this computer and graphics card for high-end gaming. In the first couple months i was playing a lot of games, till all hours of the night.

Then, I just kinda stopped. Its weird. I was just wondering about it the other day, then this poll showed up.

I also keep telling myself I'll go back to gaming. Didnt know Civ IV was comin out (loved 2, didnt like 3).

Maybe i'm just having a hard time justifying any time spent at the computer NOT working.

bob2007
11-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Used to play starcraft many years ago, now I feel like I've wasted all those years, could probably be a millionaire by now if I started playing poker in elementary school.

If starcraft 2 comes out I'll probably play.

J_B
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
modded xbox (pm me for info) + 70 games = fun. Burnout 3/revenge can really take the edge off bad beats.

Sniper
11-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Winning poker player, playing video games instead = -EV
Losing poker player, playing video games instead = +EV
Winning poker player, playing video games on 2nd monitor = priceless /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-03-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm no longer a full time player, but I found myself playing far less of other computer games when I moved into playing poker seriously.

I could make money playing poker, which I liked, and found being away from the computer more rewarding the more time I was spending in front of it.

PSW
11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tossed and deleted 5 games about 12 times total. Videogames are the number 1 enemy to my poker career (besides sucking).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Me too. I buy them. I waste a week. I throw it away. I repeat the process about every 14 months. It wrecks my life, and more than just poker. Ack.

psw

pokerlaw
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Madden 2006. its in the game /images/graemlins/smile.gif

UCF THAYER
11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Civ 4 has definately cost me alot of money lately.
Though not necessarily -EV, as it is a good stress reliever and helps keep me patient.

Newt_Buggs
11-03-2005, 08:16 PM
The last thing that I need is a hobby that will have me spending even more time in front of the computer. I used to be a hardcore gamer and now play no computer games.

LooseTight
11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
did you ever play AOK on zone? I am a top player....and AOK legend......i havent played in awhile......but i will neva stop playing on zone ever.....and i hope aoe3 is good....if you played on zone...what was your aka.

-Colin

ianlippert
11-04-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Winning poker player, playing video games instead = -EV
Losing poker player, playing video games instead = +EV
Winning poker player, playing video games on 2nd monitor = priceless /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe I was trying this awhile ago. 2 Tables + World of Warcraft. I just found it to be a little annoying on the one monitor. I also think I should quit playing WOW and play more poker.

BlackRain
11-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I have friends whose lives are engrossed by WoW. Always vowed to stay away. Glad I have so far.

Starcraft is the game that stole a big chunk of my life. I was never quite at the level of players like ElkY, Rekrul, Tillerman, but I now play almost zero SC anymore. I think the same goes for them. Its funny how TL.net, for years, the premier SC message board is now taken over by poker discussion.

11-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I´m a game cube manic and I think it is very relaxing to play on my cube between the poker sessions.