PDA

View Full Version : The Ski Season is Coming!!!!

Macedon
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Poker is fun and all, but nothing beats skiing down a mogul run deep in the New England woods. The rush is greater than landing a straight-flush against your arch-enemy.

Let it snow, let it snow, let is SNOW!!!!
(And keep the drinks coming apre-ski)

pokerdirty
11-01-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothing beats skiing down a mogul run deep in the New England woods

[/ QUOTE ]

except maybe out west. or the alps. or pretty much anywhere else you can go skiing.

a lot of the hipsters here probably don't ski anyway, they probably do that snowboard thing.

Macedon
11-01-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except maybe out west. or the alps. or pretty much anywhere else you can go skiing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like a challange, than I would agree with you.

I skied the woods at Big Sky and Telluride (among other big resorts out west) and it does not compare with some runs in Vermont (Sugarbush, Killington, Mad River Valley) for sheer heart-pounding thrills and dangerousness.

But in truth, the skiing overall is MUCH better in the west.

Tron
11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of the hipsters here probably don't ski anyway, they probably do that snowboard thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in for that snowboarding thing... Man I can't wait to go to Breckenridge over Thanksgiving break.

slamdunkpro
11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I skied the woods at Big Sky and Telluride (among other big resorts out west) and it does not compare with some runs in Vermont (Sugarbush, Killington, Mad River Valley) for sheer heart-pounding thrills and dangerousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a hop down Pallvachini at A-Basin or shoot the Cliffs in China Bowl at Vail and say that /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hobbsmann
11-01-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is fun and all, but nothing beats skiing down a mogul run deep in the New England woods. The rush is greater than landing a straight-flush against your arch-enemy.

Let it snow, let it snow, let is SNOW!!!!
(And keep the drinks coming apre-ski)

[/ QUOTE ]
except skiing anywhere else in the western USA and most of Europe.

skiier04
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I heart skiing in Pennsylvania the best /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Sponger15SB
11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Skiing in Pennsylvania the best?

C'mon, you either have to be kidding or you've never left the state of Pennsylvania.

hobbsmann
11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally would rather go skiing in CA, NV, UT, MT, WY, WA, OR, CO, etc. before Pennsylvania.

skiier04
11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Skiing in Pennsylvania the best?

C'mon, you either have to be kidding or you've never left the state of Pennsylvania.

[/ QUOTE ]

/sarcasm

slamdunkpro
11-02-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my favorite factoids about East Coast vs West Coast Skiing:

Take the Seven Springs Ski Resort (one of the largest in PA): Rip it out of the earth: Invert: Drop into China Bowl at Vail (one of the seven back bowls, not to mention the front side, and the glades) and it doesn’t even fill it up.

11-02-2005, 02:15 AM
I'll be skiing in Breck and Keystone a lot this winter as well as 10 days in Vail. Anyone want to hit the slopes with me, just give me a PM. I have places to stay at almost all of the locations and go up for weekends there with friends all the time. Just getting drunk and skiing, fun.

MarkSummers
11-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Anyone here ski/ride stowe? I have a pass there this year and I'm very excited. It's a great mountain for east coast standards.

and to all you west coasters... damn you. East coast sucks /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jaydub
11-02-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone here ski/ride stowe? I have a pass there this year and I'm very excited. It's a great mountain for east coast standards.

and to all you west coasters... damn you. East coast sucks /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Word but we have friends in CO and frontier air rocks.

Vail is simply amazing. I love the town of Breck but for the slopes, it's vail.

skiier04
11-02-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at Stowe last year and I thought it was pretty good, but not oh my god that was incredible good. It hadnt snowed in a while so it was mostly manmade stuff, but the slopes were pretty good, albeit somewhat icy, but thats to be expected in the east.

gmrankin
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I was stationed in CO for 4 years... oh i miss the buddy pass... Moved to the DC area last year, where is the best place to go in the VA, WV, or PA area? Been to showshoe before, but where else should i go. Cannot wait!!

toddw8
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm going skiing on Friday. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mslif
11-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Can't wait for the season to start. Winter Park is opening November 10 I think and I have my pass. I plan on doing more snowboarding this year. I am so excited!!!!!

montechristo
11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Copper Mtn. opens on Friday - I'll be there!

jskills
11-02-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothing beats skiing down a mogul run deep in the New England woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about rocking a deep powder steepy at Alta or Squaw Valley? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slamdunkpro
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Snowshoe has the best snow due to its highest elevation in the region and its remoteness is good for some crowd control. Seven Springs is OK if you don’t mind 25,000 of your closest friends. I don’t even bother with Liberty or Roundtop.

Tron
11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait for the season to start. Winter Park is opening November 10 I think and I have my pass. I plan on doing more snowboarding this year. I am so excited!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugggh, why did I go to school in Los Angeles? I severely underestimated the effect having no winter would have on me.

I am going to go crazy on the slopes over Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks.

jskills
11-04-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like a challange, than I would agree with you.

But in truth, the skiing overall is MUCH better in the west.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilington is GAY. It's always way crowded. The lift system is retarded. There is not very much in the way of a challenge save for a few good ones.

The Bush rules. Mad River is something to try out for sure. Don't forget Stowe which is one of the best VT has and throw in Jay Peak for a close to Canadian experience.

phage
11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nothing beats skiing down a mogul run deep in the New England woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about rocking a deep powder steepy at Alta or Squaw Valley? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Grew up skiing the icey slopes of the east. I LOVE ICEY RUNS. For some reason I have never figured out why people love powder....

Cumulonimbus
11-04-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is fun and all, but nothing beats boarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

trotski
11-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Crystal Mountain opened today in WA. Going to Whistler in December for a few days, can't wait to board!!!

w_alloy
11-05-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Grew up skiing the icey slopes of the east. I LOVE ICEY RUNS. For some reason I have never figured out why people love powder....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your words deeply offend me. I'm guessing a) you need fatter skiis (see my avatar) b) you need steeper powder or c) YSSCKY

Is anyone skiing alpine this year? I have a pass and should go at least 30 times. I should also be hitting most of the other tahoe area resorts.

As far as great runs go.. Christmas or the Headwall in Alyeska, AK are really hard to top. 3k vert feet of 50-35 degree powder, the first 1500 beeing all 40+ in a narrow chute, cant be described in words.

Bukem_
11-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I live in tahoe, have a pass as squaw, and play poker.

Can't beat that.

edtost
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

count me in for that snowboarding thing ... mountain creek racing, the best 10 seconds of your life.

renodoc
11-05-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I live in tahoe, have a pass at Rose , and play poker.

Can't beat that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go from office to chairlift in 27 min. Squaw is great when the Bay area Yahoos aren't there on the weekends. I'd rather board at Alpine.