PDA

View Full Version : The Big Blind - When do you call a raise?

Senhouse
06-13-2003, 10:43 PM
My friend and I just had a discussion about when you call
a raise from the big blind and we were pretty divided. He
plays pretty loosely compared to me. One example we were
talking about were three players in the pot - let's say
an early limper, a middle raiser, and a late cold caller.
Would you call with K5 suited? To me, that seemed like
playing a hand which is hard to play unless you flop a
flush draw, and even then it's out of position. If you
won't call with three other players, how many does it
need? If you will, how few?

How about something like A7 offsuit?

What kinds of hands are good to call heads up with?

I went back to my copy of HPFAP and re-read the section
on live blinds. Of course it's good like the whole book,
but it seemed a little bit incomplete/vague about these
kinds of situations. If Mason or David or any of you
other readers could help an aspiring hold'em player out
here, please do!

Thanks! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
Chris

rayrns
06-14-2003, 07:15 AM
It would depend a little on the raiser. But I would probably call with the K-5s but the flop will have to hit me hard. 2 pair,flush or a 4 flush only if the Ace hits the board. If I don't get that, I'm gone. I would probably muck the A-7o to a raise.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-14-2003, 11:15 AM
As a general rule, the worse the hand is, the more you need in the way of pot odds to call. For instance, if UTG raises and EVERYONE calls, you'd be getting 19:1 at a full table, and I'd call with almost anything. Now if you do decide to call with a hand like A7 or K5s, you have to realize that you might wind up folding top pair on the flop, you have to be cautious of being dominated. It's better to call a raise with a drawing hand that is less likely to be dominated. For instance, UTG raises, four call, I'd rather have 87s than K5s. Pairs are easier, as long as you're getting 5:1, you should usually call, unless your game is very tight after the flop, in which case you might want a little more to call with the smallest pairs.

al

bigfishead
06-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Before I look at any responses I want to give my thoughts.

K5s, no. 6+ players ok I call.

A7o never dont care how many.

I believe I may be able to save up to 1 full BB per hour as I generally dont believe I will win 1 of 12 hands I have these cards. 1 of 12 is my number. It has no real basis other then experience. While I believe it's important to win a couple of hands in the blinds in a given session, I believe it's much easier to lose in that position. Therefore I have learned to try to "WORK" my position. I'd rather cold call 2 bets on the button, with 5-6 players with K5s, then I really would call just one more in BB. Tho honestly I cant remember the last time I saw a flop with either of these hands.