PDA

View Full Version : BBQ! Best of NYC?

jnalpak
11-01-2005, 03:06 PM
NYC Foodies: Have we talked about this topic?

What is the best BBQ in the city?
We just brought in almost the whole menu from
Dinosaur BBQ (http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/) and the only word that comes to mind is.... WOW!

LOCATION: The "almost" hood on 646 W 131st St, New York, NY across from the old cotton club.

anyone else venture or take in from there?

I ate so much delicious food - ribs/chicken/mac-n-cheese/corn bread.

My head is on some kind of hazy bbq high.

discuss...

BottlesOf
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
YEs it was discussed a few months ago. I don't think any consensus was reached, other than it's hard to find good BBQ in nyc.

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the best BBQ in the city?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.starwrecked.faketrix.com/contents/celebs/large-pics/David-Ogden-Stiers-as-Charles-Winchester-on-MASH.jpg

"This is roughly the equivalent of saying that someone is the finest ballerina in all of Galveston."

MrTrik
11-01-2005, 03:11 PM
vnh Jake!

jnalpak
11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YEs it was discussed a few months ago. I don't think any consensus was reached, other than it's hard to find good BBQ in nyc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we found it...its in the hood!

xadrez
11-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Dinosaur is good, I work very close by and eat there about once a week.

Best things are the chicken wings, the ribs, and they have some killer sandwiches for lunch.

Other items on the menu are very "meh", like the pulled pork, which sucks. Good BBQ is a rarity in NYC and Dinosaur fills the gap well. Also, its a big space.

Its not in the hood either per say. The area is largely deserted.

EDIT: to add that the mac and cheese and cole slaw are the best side orders IMHO

Voltron87
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
its not in the hood, but the only thing near it is the hood. i wouldnt worry about getting robbed or anything there, but it is not close to anything else really. its about a mile away from columbia u.

11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Blue Smoke.

nyc999
11-01-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great BBQ, and an even better beer selection.

sfer
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daver thinks Blue Smoke is mediocre but The Daver loves their Key Lime Pie.

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Daver thinks...but The Daver loves...

[/ QUOTE ]

How long will you be doing this? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jnalpak
11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

love the beer selection too, atmosphere feels like its pushed on you and the ribs suck the davers balls

the daver likes that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

samjjones
11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe until people start referring to him as ess-effer, but probably not.

swede123
11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe until people start referring to him as ess-effer, but probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who changed their names like this should be referred to as ass-effers.

Swede

stanky
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Try Brother Jimmy's. They use to have one here in Chicago, the ribs were pretty damn good. It was a staple for me and my freinds during football season because on Sundays they had all you could eat ribs and all you could drink drafts for about $20. I think maybe we were the reason they went out of business. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Can we also take moment to reflect on what a joke the Michelen ratings of NYC restaurants are?

11-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I heard NYC has environmental laws that prohibit the smoking technique required to make good barbeque. Is that true? What kind of wood are these places using?

xadrez
11-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Dinosaur claims that their meats are "smoked" for 14 hours. Maybe its some sort of faux smoking process, Im not sure.

11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Just did a little Googling and saw that open pit smokers are illegal in Manhattan. And Blue Smoke has some sort of custom made, high tech gas and apple wood smoker. Whatever that is.

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just did a little Googling and saw that open pit smokers are illegal in Manhattan. And Blue Smoke has some sort of custom made, high tech gas and apple wood smoker. Whatever that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apple wood is goot. I prefer an apple/pecan blend myself.

xadrez
11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks

I was about to google, then I remembered how unremorsefully lazy I am, and thought better of it.

lapoker17
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
No one likes Virgils?

MonkeeMan
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apple wood is goot. I prefer an apple/pecan blend myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesquite dammit

slamdunkpro
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mesquite dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for grilling - Bad for BBQ smoking - bitter!!!!!!!!

d10
11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
You should try some BBQ in Memphis sometime. Then you would realize why this question is stupid.

Sorry, I like NYC, but I've never gone there for the BBQ.

MonkeeMan
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mesquite dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind.

11-01-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work 1.5 blocks from Blue Smoke and ate there quite a few times without a bad meal, nothing mind blowing, but consistently good.

Wintermute
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good food, and I'd get balls deep in 75% of their waitstaff (of the females, that is).

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mesquite dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Gold star.

tonypaladino
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
OK, I'll say it.

I love BBQ's. Where else can I get chicken ribs and a liter-sized beer for $15?

CD56
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
There's a dino BBQ in both rochester and syracuse, both are insanely good, the crowds are always in interesting people-watching opportunity as well, I've never had anything from dino that i didn't think was the best version i'd ever had

slamdunkpro
11-02-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should try some BBQ in Memphis sometime. Then you would realize why this question is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rendezvous!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.hogsfly.com/)

Yum!!

PoBoy321
11-02-2005, 02:09 AM
I can't say that I've ever had really good BBQ in the city. There are a couple of Dallas BBQ locations around the city you could look into but I don't remember them being spectacular. Also, if you're just looking for something specific, there's a place up in Washington Heights right by Columbia Presbyterian called Coogan's which has incredible ribs.

Ulysses
11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daver thinks Blue Smoke is mediocre but The Daver loves their Key Lime Pie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Blue Smoke is mediocre.

Ulysses
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try Brother Jimmy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Brother Jimmy's a lot.

I will try the place mentioned by OP.

However, having spent a lot of time in Texas and Georgia, I'm not really planning to be impressed by BBQ in NYC.

IndieMatty
11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try Brother Jimmy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, having spent a lot of time in Texas and Georgia, I'm not really planning to be impressed by BBQ in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm down for a Dino BBQ trip.

Voltron87
11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Although I don't really lunch with any of the 2p2 foodies on here, I'd be interested in trying this place as well.

MrWookie47
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
The Dinosaur in NYC is actually the third of three restaurants in the small chain. The original was in Syracuse, and the second in Rochester. While I can't vouch for the quality of the NYC Dinosaur, the one out here in Rochester is first class. It compares very favorably with any BBQ you'd get in Memphis or Kansas City or Texas or wherever. The only thing I've ever been disappointed with is their cornbread, but the quality of their meat and their sides more than makes up for it in my mind.

jnalpak
11-02-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try Brother Jimmy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as a NY'er i am never impressed with BBQ as they all usually suck. Nevertheless have i ever let you down?

THIS PLACE IS LEGIT