PDA

View Full Version : Please look at my 50K stats. I must totally suck.

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
God this is depressing. I don’t know if this is in the right forum; I’m not sure if I even really care. I’ve played a buttload of hands this year. At least a quarter million. Figured it was time to get PT. I got PT sept. 1st and these are my stats for 50K.
(I play full ring limit 2-5 tables and these stats are mostly from $1/2)

VP$IP – 13.89%
VP$small blind – 25.10%
Folds SB to steal – 89.94%
Folded BB to steal – 75.41%
ATT to steal blinds – 14.26%
W$WSF – 30.28%
Went to SD – 31.91%
Won$@SD – 53.47%
PFR – 5.05%
SD/100 – 13.4287

BB/100 -- negative 0.57

I do not have much relevant stats before that but I was consistently winning at nanos (w/o bonuses, rakebacks etc). Built my way up from a $40 BR to about 3K. I don’t really know what to do here. I don’t think that my rockish preflop tendencies account enough for this dramatically poor BB/100. When I think of weak-tight I often think of a strong player who’s earn rate is low but not negative. Like I said, I’ve played a lot of hands, I can recognize that I’m running cold, but this is ridiculous.

I know you guys are probably going to mention stuff like posting hands and hitting the books. I just don’t think that the leak is there. One of the gifts I was given in life is an ability to absorb massive amounts of material from books. My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing. You can not become an MD in today’s society without being pretty smart. There’s a huge difference between reading and knowing books and believe you me I know them.

At the same time, I must suck. I know BB/100 is the number we can do nothing about, but 50K should be enough to tell you something. It is telling me I suck. At this point I’d be happy with a break even earn rate since I’ve learned so much about bonuses and rakeback in the past 2 months that I’d be okay with that.

This game has completely broken my heart. There must be something else going on here. Please help.

milesdyson
11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
you're way too tight, passive and predictable. you hardly ever attempt to steal blinds.

you fold your blinds much too often. 75% folding your BB is way too high. TAGs probably sit to your right and steal your blinds all the time. you are the ideal player i want to sit next to at a table (well, have at my left i mean).

11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
A few quick comments....

1. You play way too few hands - VPIP of 18% would be much better, you are giving up many +EV situations. Try the SSHE starting hand chart.

2. You need to raise a whole lot more. Again check the SSHE starting hands chart.

3. Your SB play seems very loose given the tightness of your other stats. I think that this may be from calling XXs in an unraised pot. I think that this is bad advice if there are fewer than 3 people already in the pot.

Just a few thoughts,

Margon

bottomset
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
you don't understand position

5tabling is a good way to just go through the motions and not learn anything

car ramrod
11-01-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're way too tight, passive and predictable. you hardly ever attempt to steal blinds.

you fold your blinds much too often. 75% folding your BB is way too high. TAGs probably sit to your right and steal your blinds all the time. you are the ideal player i want to sit next to at a table (well, have at my left i mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

11-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Stop Check/raise-bluffing the river with 3 high.
I'm kidding.

Play 50 million more hands then come back.
Again I kid.

All I see really is that you ARE folding too often to a steal in the BB. 75% seems way too high. You're getting 3.5-to-1 to see 3 cards. "Do it. Do it."

hemstock
11-01-2005, 02:57 PM
You are what we call a "rock". I don't know what your aggression factor is, but it looks like you are passive (because aggressive rocks usually break even). Thinking players will look to stay out of your way and respect your raises. You play very few hands. You are 13% an what should be around 17-20%. Once you start playing more hands, you will have to start raising a lot more as well. You should also try to steal blinds a lot more. Nano limits are a looot easier to beat, since the quility of your opponents is of course much worse than 1/2 but there is not any rake either. Rake is killing your winrate when you move up limits. Maybe you do need to read books and start posting and replying to hands. If anyone with VP$IP 13% and a PFR of 5 could beat the game, Poker would be really easy.

deception5
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you guys are probably going to mention stuff like posting hands and hitting the books. I just don’t think that the leak is there. One of the gifts I was given in life is an ability to absorb massive amounts of material from books. My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing. You can not become an MD in today’s society without being pretty smart. There’s a huge difference between reading and knowing books and believe you me I know them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I think I found the problem...

DCWildcat
11-01-2005, 03:06 PM
No, the "leak: is that you're missing out way too many profitable positions. That's a leak that can be fixed by posting hands and reading books.

deception5
11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, the "leak: is that you're missing out way too many profitable positions. That's a leak that can be fixed by posting hands and reading books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which shouldn't be a problem since:

[ QUOTE ]
One of the gifts I was given in life is an ability to absorb massive amounts of material from books.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to brag of course.

tiltaholic
11-01-2005, 03:15 PM
you seem to think that being "pretty smart" will translate to success at anything, including poker.

it doesn't work that way.

back to poker. you are a rock. in your assimilation of poker literature you surely must know this. i don't don't mean that you read it. clearly with an astonishing memory and grasp of mathematics you must KNOW it. and also that a rockish style of play is a poor one, though it can be break-even or slightly profitable at loose passive tables.

i suggest an attitude adjustment and putting some serious work into your game, should you wish to improve.

Redd
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I think I found the problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you d5. I think the first step in playing poker well is having the humility to admit you're not playing well, and the willingness to examine all aspect of one's play. Perhaps your mathematics skills, as applied to poker, are not as astonishing as you believe.

aK13
11-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I'd get bored from all that folding.

Koss
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
If you have honestly read the right books and learned them well there is no way your VPIP would be 14% and have a preflop raise of 5%. Seriously, I didn't know it was possible to play as tight as you do. You NEED to read small stakes holdem. Read the pre-flop chapter. You may have read it and know it but you are definitely not applying it. It breaks down all the types of hands and which ones are profitable in what situations. You are folding way too many profitable hands. I can't really comment on your postflop play, but I would have to guess that you have a "fit or fold" mentality and fold too often, but call down when you have a good hand that someone else says they can beat. Post hands, read SSHE. There you go.

aces_dad
11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey car ramrod, don't have to tell him twice.

My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing.

milesdyson
11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
hey mdplayah -

i was wondering why you played 50k hands like this when you could have checked your preflop stats at 10k hands and compared them to

a) another stat thread
b) the stat thread
c) the stats given in the FAQ
d) the stats that would result from using a preflop chart
e) your memory

really, to me this just shows that you have not yet put enough effort into your game to become a winning player. you only have 20-something posts here, but you've played soooo many hands. you could get better by just reading and digesting everything you read, but i don't think you read the forums very much. i think you want everyone to fix what you're doing wrong based on a few numbers. unfortunately, poker is more complicated than that, and no one can do that for you.

don't want to read any books? then read these forums. figure out for yourself what you're doing wrong.

TomBrooks
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
It was already stated, but...

VP$IP – 13.89% Too low. Increase 50%.
VP$small blind – 25.10% Too low
Folds SB to steal – 89.94% Too high
Folded BB to steal – 75.41% Too high
ATT to steal blinds – 14.26% Way too low. Double it.
W$WSF – 30.28%
Went to SD – 31.91% Looks a little low, especially for someone playing so few hands. Probably folding some winners.
Won$@SD – 53.47%
PFR – 5.05% Way too low. Double it.
SD/100 – 13.4287
BB/100 -- negative 0.57 Too low.

Need more info, what's your...
- Aggression by street with preflop checkbox blank?
- Folded to river bet?
- Check Raises %

> I don’t think that my rockish preflop tendencies account enough for this dramatically poor BB/100.

It probably doesn't. Might be too passive postflop also.

> This game has completely broken my heart. There must be something else going on here. Please help.

Running bad is depressing. Take a break. Cut back on tables, play better when you come back, and call me in the morning.

kiemo
11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
When I first read the OP I knew the first 5 answers were going to be increase VPIP to 18% becuase thats the exact same advice people said to me in a similar thread I made a few weeks ago (i was around 13% too).

Problem was no one was able to actively point out where to get the extra 5% from even when I provided hand histories. Best answer I got was 'Figure it out yourself'.

I dont disagree when you guys say 13% is way too low, but simply telling someone to increase it isnt a good answer. Its a pre fabricated answer, you look at the stats and say - yep this is too low/too high/too low/too high like the numbers are an exact science. Now the question OP asked is pretty generic, so I cant really fault anybody for a generic answer, but we simply cant analyze anything in depth from his numbers. We need to see hands.

So to the OP, you are going to have to get over yourself and start posting hands, reading and UNDERSTANDING concepts in the books, and looking over hands on these boards. Unless you get someone to coach you or look over a sample of your hands, no one here can really tell you what you need to improve on besides some generic 'play more hands, but not too many hands' answer.

Simply raising your VPIP and PFR isnt going to solve your problems, becuase unless you understand why you making certain plays you most likely are going to start making the plays just so your numbers look right, which will lead to more lost BBs.

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Tom,

Thank you. That was awesome. Thank you so much for the reply. I know exactly how I’m gonna change my game.

Other stats that you asked about:

AF:
Pre-flop—0.51
Flop—4.81
Turn—2.43
River--1.23

Total—1.30

Check – Raise on flop – 0.48

Not sure where to get the fold to a river bet (just got PT).

I appreciate the replies, but I can not help but think that some of you are taking shots at me while I’m down. Sure I said some things in the OP that coulda came off cocky, but this is probably a defense mechanism since I’ve been losing lately. And if you check the subject, I even admitted that I suck. This post is about my numbers and that’s it.

Milesdyson,

Obviously you’re not going to help me and that’s okay, but I have to disagree with you.
Poker is not that complicated. You can figure it out. You can read and reread books until your eyes hurt. You can read articles and do practice questions and read forums. You can look at a starting hands chart for long enough and realize that you know it …perfect. You can play tons of hands to get experience. You can figure it out.

Maybe you have and that’s fine. Have you been dealt a bad hand at other aspects in life and that’s why you respond like that towards me?? I must be a bad player cause I have so few posts…

11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Milesdyson,

Obviously you’re not going to help me and that’s okay, but I have to disagree with you.
Poker is not that complicated. You can figure it out. You can read and reread books until your eyes hurt. You can read articles and do practice questions and read forums. You can look at a starting hands chart for long enough and realize that you know it …perfect. You can play tons of hands to get experience. You can figure it out.

Maybe you have and that’s fine. Have you been dealt a bad hand at other aspects in life and that’s why you respond like that towards me?? I must be a bad player cause I have so few posts…

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding Miles, he sounds gruff, but that's how he responds to everybody's posts. It's not personal. It's spunk.

You said you were an MD--I trust, even though you were gifted, you had to read, be taught, and learn about things like how the body works, how medicine interacts with the body, etc, etc. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of medicine, but I cannot imagine that you never spent less than 30,000 hours reading, listening and talking about medicine in order to be a successful doctor. You didn't just assume the "foot bone is connected to the ankle bone." I know this is a oversimplification, but please consider the generality behind it.

tiltaholic
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

Thank you. That was awesome. Thank you so much for the reply. I know exactly how I’m gonna change my game.

Other stats that you asked about:

AF:
Pre-flop—0.51
Flop—4.81
Turn—2.43
River--1.23

Total—1.30

Check – Raise on flop – 0.48

Not sure where to get the fold to a river bet (just got PT).

I appreciate the replies, but I can not help but think that some of you are taking shots at me while I’m down. Sure I said some things in the OP that coulda came off cocky, but this is probably a defense mechanism since I’ve been losing lately. And if you check the subject, I even admitted that I suck. This post is about my numbers and that’s it.

Milesdyson,

[/ QUOTE ]

the only way for people to productively comment on your play is for you to post hands for comments...

some stats can give general respenses.

for example. vpip of 14. people will say you are too tight.

but in order for this to help your play, there needs to be interactivity and effort. there is no magic answer. one of the strengths of these forums is that you could read a smaple hand posted by someone else, in which, say, the poster limps 66 utg. you think to yourself, "hey, i fold 66 utg.". then you post "guys, is limping 66 utg correct?" discussion ensues. minds are enlightened. the way the forums don't work is when people say "i suck poker, help me to win money". then people responsd "yes. you do suck because of x y or z."

poker is NOT simple. it IS complicated. for that reason, posting a few numbers cannot get you anything but superficial responses.

it is highly unlikely you have been running poorly for fifty thousand hands. what you choose to do from here is really up to you....

deception5
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
The problem is that you came here to ask advice on how to improve and then said things like:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to say everyone here is an idiot since they haven't "figured out" this simple game yet?

The other problem is that you said you're not going to read anything or post hands. So clearly you aren't all that concerned with really improving and you aren't willing to work at it, you just want a quick fix so that you can go back to 5-tabling without thinking about your play and become a slight winner. Well clearly there is no one word answer that is going to fix your game, the solution is to learn how to play postflop and not just wait for premium hands and bet them to the river.

As has already been pointed out the way to do this is to read "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Ed Miller and post hands you have trouble with. If you tone the attitude back you might even get some helpful responses.

TomBrooks
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
> Tom, Thank you.

Your welcome. Other guys here have helped me, so I pass some along when I can.

> Other stats that you asked about:
AF:
Pre-flop—0.51 Uncheck the preflop box at the top
Flop—4.81 Seems kind of high, but I'm not sure.
Turn—2.43
River--1.23

Total—1.30 Total aggression looks in the ballpark. This number will be higher when you remove preflop which seems to be the standard way to look at it.

> Check – Raise on flop – 0.48

== Show % of possible actions, not c/r on flop. I forget what the good range is, but some guys might know. A couple of guys commented on mine one time.

> Not sure where to get the fold to a river bet.

== About the third thing up from bottom on the detail screen

Good Luck.

grayhawk
11-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I would assume that since you posted a "stat check" post that you are going to get responses that evaluate the stats. Since your VPIP is so low, the first place I would start is by posting hands that you folded preflop that you thought were borderline. Read the responses and change your game when appropriate. Once you get a better preflop strategy, then work on the other aspects of your game by posting borderline examples for those as well. Poker IS complicated. Realizing this may be your first step to improving your game. If it wasn't complicated, then you would be able to calculate your odds of winning any given hand precisely. With the amount of unknown information you have to deal with, how can it not be complicated?

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
tom,

if I uncheck the box I get 2.69 for my AF total.

9.40% for fold on the river if i'm checking in the right place.

i'm a moron with the whole check-raise thing so i think i'll give up.

btw,

i would help any one of you guys who came into my office despite some of the comments that have been made towards me.

you guys should just stop bashing me, but i doubt it will happen. people twisting my words into calling people idiots and what not... totally crazy! I'm here to have fun! there are much more serious things in life than poker.

Poker is not that complicated. you can figure it out. debate over. and it's not even close.

grayhawk
11-01-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not that complicated. you can figure it out. debate over. and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't want to get into an argument about this, but let me quote Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth - 3 guys that know a heck of a lot more about poker than you or me:

From Small Stakes Hold'em, page 26:

"Unfortunatley, poker is not a simple game. Most imporatantly, you do not have complete information. There are 2 important pieces of information that you do not have:

1. Your opponents' cards
2. How your opponents will respond to your action"

In the footnote, they go on to say:

"Actually, it is fortunate that poker is not simple. If it were, everyone would play it well, and you could never gain an edge or win money in the long run."

I'm sure you're a great doctor. You realize you are not a great poker player, which is great, but you dismiss the advice that people here give you (that you asked for, BTW). Consider that your preconceived notion of why you "suck" is just wrong and keep an open mind. That's my advice (that and $3.50 will get you a coffee at Starbucks) - hopefully you won't dismiss it out of hand.

checkmate36
11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Those look like my numbers. 13/5 /images/graemlins/blush.gif

My November goal is to get those numbers up while making BB's at the same time. I went from 2/4 all the way down to .1/.2 because I really don't have a good grasp of the game and I may as well learn on the cheap until I get it together. The replies on this post have been good reading for me. Nice job guys.

Koss
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is not an exact science. It's a game of psychology. Figuring out what your opponents are thinking (or not thinking) and acting accordingly is how you play winning poker. Reading books and sample hands will give you a strong idea how to handle lots of situations, but in the end there is no substitute for understanding your opponents every move and employing the perfect counterstrategy. Poker is complicated, because people are complicated, and you are playing the game against other people. This narrow minded "poker is an exact science" line of thinking is probably one of the things that is holding your game back. Change your attitude about the game, or you will always be one step behind everyone else.

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah,

that's my problem too. I know the ITH chart perfect and have even added a few hands yet I am still getting those results. Remember though that I did win for 8 months so the charts could be decent. you must go by ITH if you are getting those stats right>>??

We should probably add more hands don't you think?? One good way would be to go by the advanced starting hands concepts chapter. I shyed away from that chapter since I don't consider anyone advanced unless they've made over $100K playing poker. But I think I'll add it into my arsenal for the next 50K and see how I fair.

VoraciousReader
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This game has completely broken my heart. There must be something else going on here. Please help.

[/ QUOTE ]

vs.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm here to have fun! there are much more serious things in life than poker. Poker is not that complicated. you can figure it out. debate over. and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Clearly you are right. Poker is not complicated. You can figure it out. Obviously, you need no help.

[ QUOTE ]
i would help any one of you guys who came into my office despite some of the comments that have been made towards me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, you are correct. I am confident that Miles Dyson would have taken a totally different attitude if he had realized you were proposing to pay him. (As I assume you would expect if we were patients of yours.)

On the off-chance this is a serious post, let me try a medical analogy. (Two of my college roommates are now doctors, so I hope I can fake this.)

Suppose a patient called you up on the phone and said.

"My blood pressure is 160/90."
"My temperature is 99.2."
"My pulse is 83 beats per minute."
"Now, tell me what's wrong."

You can write all this down and say, "Well, it looks like your blood pressure may be a little elevated, and possibly your pulse rate, but without knowing what's normal for you and any specifics about your symptoms, I can't really make a diagnosis." That's about as much useful info as anyone can get from a bare statistics post.

Wouldn't it be easier if the patient mentioned that she just fell down a flight of stairs and is experiencing extreme pain in her right leg?

When you are trying to figure out what's going on with a patient, doesn't it help to have symptoms, medical history, and (of course!) any unusual occurrences that may be relevant? And supposing you have 2 patients both complaining of backache. One of them works for UPS lifting packages all day. The other one weighs 300 lbs. Might you not suspect that there may be a different root cause and a different appropriate treatment?

And if you are playing poker, let's say you hold AQo and the player in front of you raises. Shouldn't you consider playing differently if that player has played 500 hands and never raised pre-flop before vs another player who has played 300 hands and come in for a raise in 280 of them?

And shouldn't you perhaps play differently against a thinking opponent vs one that is oblivious? And if you are playing too tight and never stealing blinds, isn't a thinking opponent going to very quickly know to get the heck out of your way any time you DO decide to play a hand?

I'm actually not trying to be snide here (ok, maybe the first little bit was.) I'm trying to be helpful.

MrWookie47
11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't consider anyone advanced unless they've made over $100K playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this thinking. There are quite a few members of this very forum who's understanding of the game right now is deeper than I may ever get. Using money earned as a measure of a poker player is quite a faux pas. Chris Moneymaker is definitely not the 2nd best player in the world. Similarly, you shouldn't judge yourself or any member of this forum by their winnings or stakes. Judge them by their posts and their strategy.

milesdyson
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
post of the thread. nice one.

gonzopro
11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
An important concept that a lot of rocks miss is how important position is. Go to the position stats tab on PT. As you get closer to the button your VPIP should go up as well as your PFR. Take a hand like 33. It plays horrible in early and mid position on a tight table. But if you have 33 and it is folded around to you on the button, it is an automatic raise. Same for other marginal hands like Axo, etc.

I bet you are playing easily dominated hands like Q10o from every position.

Also realize that you are a winning player BUT you are not beating the rake.

You can be profitable as a rock but you will need to improve your postflop skills. Saying things like I'm going to stop ck raising is foolish. If you don't when or why to ck raise, then that is something to learn.

I don't think it is a good idea to play 5 tables if you are not winning. Cut back to one or two until you are beating the game. The only way to play 5 is ABC poker but that requires you have the fundamentals down cold. I'm an MD as well. Obviously we have limited time to devote to grinding. It would be better for you in the long run to learn the game and stop grinding the micros for pocket change.

Most of the people on here will try to help you. But realize stats provide limited information in which people can make broad comments. Posting hands and replying to threads helps you learn the specifics.

bottomset
11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those look like my numbers. 13/5 /images/graemlins/blush.gif

My November goal is to get those numbers up while making BB's at the same time. I went from 2/4 all the way down to .1/.2 because I really don't have a good grasp of the game and I may as well learn on the cheap until I get it together. The replies on this post have been good reading for me. Nice job guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have the BR for 2/4, you prob should have only dropped down to .5/1

though .1/.2 might be good for a raise/fold experiment, where you don't limp ever .. just to get a feel for playing more aggro with minimal money risk

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
i've treated thousands of patients for free and i'm sure the other MD on this thread has done the same.

your post comparing poker to medicine was a snore by the way. go on a medical forum if you want to talk about that stuff. this forum is for poker.

grayhawk
11-01-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've treated thousands of patients for free and i'm sure the other MD on this thread has done the same.

your post comparing poker to medicine was a snore by the way. go on a medical forum if you want to talk about that stuff. this forum is for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just...wow. If arrogance makes you a great doctor, then you must be at the top of your field. Unfortunately, it won't help you here.

Schwartzy61
11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I'll try and help but first I need a little more information.

First:

What site were you playing these 50k hands of 1/2?

Second:

You say you've read books, now which books are those? I'm sure there are a lot of people losing money following Phil Hellmuth's "play poker like the pros." Is ITH the only one you've read? If so you are losing a ton of opportunities by following the preflop chart in that book. If that's the case you need to go out and buy Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller and Theory of Poker by David Sklansky and use your photographic memory to fully understand every concept in those books. The books you have read and apply will help most of us understand how you are playing and what needs to be corrected.

Third:

Do you use a heads up display to keep tabs on your opponents? If you don't, immediately, and I do mean now, go buy Poker Ace HUD or Playerview or Gametime+, check them all out see which one you like best. Most around here will recommend Poker Ace HUD, that's what I use and I love it. It's hard to beat the rake multitabling these limits without some help from a HUD. Poker is a people game and paying several tables at at time online prevents most of that. The only way to make up for it is to use the notes feature of website and a good HUD.

4th:

List your VP$IP and PFR numbers by position.

5th and final:

How do you select that games in which you sit?

Greg J
11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you guys should just stop bashing me, but i doubt it will happen. people twisting my words into calling people idiots and what not... totally crazy! I'm here to have fun! there are much more serious things in life than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you delusional or just extremely thin skinned? I think there have been a lot of people, including many you are accusing of "bashing" you, that have offered helpful advise. They took time and effort to try to help you. And you are going to accuse them of being mean to you? Please. That is insulting.

Truth be told, you are most likely not very good at poker. People have elaborated as to why/how. That does not make you unintelligent, but I think it calls for a high degree of self examination. You seem to have a real attitude problem. There is no room for your ego here. You are not a special little snowflake. Get over yourself.

11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reply is nonsense.

The post wasn't about "that stuff," man. It was a well-meaning attempt to show you the flaw in your thinking.

Is it par for the course in your field to come to a conclusion using the barest of facts, and then hold onto that conclusion for dear life, desite what your colleagues may point out to the contrary?

I certainly hope not.

Do you see why?

[ QUOTE ]
You are not a special little snowflake.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir.

Greg J
11-01-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can brag about being an MD all you want, but there are a lot of educated people on this board, and most of them are much better at poker than you. VR was trying to help you, and you just totally dissed her. And yeah, that makes me a little angry -- again, these people are going out of thier way to help you. You are basically trolling at this point, and if you are just going to continue doing this you should probably stop posting here and find a poker message board where they will kiss your little owies and tell you it will all be okay. That way you can keep loosing money, but no one will damage yr fragile little ego.

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
okay dude.

i'm sorry. point taken. i will probably stop posting too so don't worry about it.

11-01-2005, 07:54 PM
My advice:

First of all, don't take it personally when people give you advice here in a blunt and even insulting manner. That's just the way many people in these forums are.

You see, these people are actually your competition. They are out to win money, and how does it help them to have their competition become better at the game so they can't win money from them? They are, in fact, doing you a huge favor when they bother telling you what you're doing wrong, and so many of them will be quite blunt or even rude about their advice since they know you're lucky to even be hearing it in the first place.

Secondly, here's a sure fire way to become a winning player almost immediately. Stop playing 5 tables at a time, start playing one. Spend your time at the table actually paying attention to your opponents, trying to get reads on them. Multitablers give up 1 or more bb/100 due to their lack of reads on their opponents, and you can't afford this since you're hovering around the breakeven point.

And, as everyone else said, you're weak tight. Your flop aggression number looks too high to me, which I'm betting is because you fold too much on the flop. But the only way to really figure out your leaks would be to participate in the hand discussions on these forums. When you find yourself advising someone to fold and everyone else says "call" or "raise", you'll realize you've found a leak, and there will be many.

Guthrie
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm hardly an expert, I'm still down at 1/2, but my stats seem to be excellent and I'm fixing leaks and whittling down the loss, but here's my take, and much of that was provided by other players on this forum.

You're way to tight preflop. Use the SSHE tight charts religiously until you can start adjusting from there. That should put you at around 19-20% VPIP. If you've played a quarter million hands you should be able to start adjusting from the charts much sooner. For example, Ed recommends completing the SB with any two suited cards, something I'm just now getting away from. Now I only complete with any two if there's several players in the pot, or if they are big and/or connected. It's just not worth chasing a small flush for two or three big bets.

Using the same charts will get your PFR up close to 7%. To get it higher, start raising from MP3, CO, or the button with any decent calling hand if it's been folded around to you, or if there's only one limper. This will increase not only your PFR but also your attempt to steal. Sometimes you fold out everybody and steal the blinds, and, on a table where tight players are playing attention, since you raised pre-flop, you set yourself up to raise or check/raise the flop and steal the pot right there even if the flop completely missed you.

Your flop aggression looks really high to me. Maybe because you're so tight you only enter a pot with very good hands, and then raise the hell out of them on the flop. This may be driving out chips that you could ultimately win at showdown with these quality hands.

My check/raise number was also pitifully low. I always thought the purpose of a check/raise was to squeeze more money out of good hands. Then I started just betting out on good hands, but check/raising hands like second pair/top kicker, and often busted flops like AK with rags. This works very well against tight players, but not worth a flip against loose calling stations, so use a HUD and take a look at who has cards before trying it. It made an immediate difference in my game, especially on tight tables.

TomBrooks
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think everyone is a unique, beautiful snowflake.

mdplayah
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
okay, cool, cool. i think i have gotten enough advice from this thread that it will take me months to put it all into effect.

maybe i will keep posting. i usually hate forums but this thread really helped me.

also, i think it would be thin-skinned rather than delusional but thanks for your concerns.

anyway, gotta go get back to this beatable game which is not complicated and you can figure it out.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

btw, you think my attitude is bad?? trust me you have seen nothing. it is much worse when i'm winning and is perfectly compatable w/being successful at poker. arrogance is aggression verbalized.

and you know that's true.

aces_dad
11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Remember, you and I are both unique. Just like everyone else. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

hizo1
11-01-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MD to MD, you should swallow some of your pride and post hands/read books. If you have read SSHE, the metaphor is that you've read one Hx and Px book, done a Hx and Px 500,000 times, but never had a senior supervise to make sure you were doing a good job. If you haven't read SSHE or other 2+2 books, I recommend that you do.

As with Medicine, remember you never stop learning in Poker.

Good luck.

Nilbud
11-01-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first read the OP I knew the first 5 answers were going to be increase VPIP to 18% becuase thats the exact same advice people said to me in a similar thread I made a few weeks ago (i was around 13% too).

Problem was no one was able to actively point out where to get the extra 5% from even when I provided hand histories. Best answer I got was 'Figure it out yourself'.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is simply not true. At least two posters in this thread said to use the SSHE starting-hand chart. Even if you have no idea why you are playing the hands on the chart, you'll win (lose less) money while you figure out why the hands are recommended, and why you might want to deviate from the chart in certain situations. In my personal experience, the only way you figure out the why behind the chart, is to study and post.

adamstewart
11-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Your BB/100 is too low.

Adam

NateDog
11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your BB/100 is too low.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir

hizo1
11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your BB/100 is too low.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear you're the biggest prick on these forums /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adamstewart
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your BB/100 is too low.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only speak the truth.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adam

Redd
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your BB/100 is too low.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He consistently is. But he's even more consistently right.

lautzutao
11-01-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tom,

if I uncheck the box I get 2.69 for my AF total.

9.40% for fold on the river if i'm checking in the right place.

btw,

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/lautzutao/baby-crying.jpg

Copyright Wintermute 2005

TripleH68
11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Why is your pfr% so low?

Then your flop AF so high?

11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! good start /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

seriously, cr is the most overused play at ML....

anyway, on to why you are losing

you are WEAK/TIGHT. that means players that are TIGHT/AGGRESSIVE and LOOSE/AGGRESSIVE will target you because you are EASY to take money from.

how to fix:

STOP FOLDING. just STOP doing it.

every time you are in a situation where you have to think 'should i call or fold here', CALL instead of folding. stop being so scared.

seriously. try this for your next 5k hands and see how you go.

hope this helps, you sound a lot like i did when i first came to 2+2.... and within about 3 days my winrate had shot up from comments like this

mdplayah
11-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Why is your pfr% so low?

Then your flop AF so high?
Post Extras:

I don’t know dude/?>> Maybe I’m bipolar. Isn’t that how you make tight-aggressive soup??

but on to what your were saying about the 5K. That sounds like a good experiment to try. If things get worse, I don't really care, it's only 5K.

I’ll let you know after the next 5K how it worked out.

Lots of people on this forum are saying things like I should shed my ego and read a book. You have to be kidding me. Wow, I totally must’ve phrased it wrong in the OP.

Thanks to a lot of you guys.

Some of you guys are such raging tools though.

11-02-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think everyone is a unique, beautiful snowflake.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, we're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Steal blinds. Please.

Ok here is an simulation. It is folded to you on the button or cutoff. What is your range of hands that you are raising? We will assume unknown blinds.

TomBrooks
11-02-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of you guys are such raging tools.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps. But each guy is a beautiful, unique raging tool.