PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge, UK. Would I like it?

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I know there are some Cambridge students on this board. I'm thinking of taking a job in Cambridge. What's the town like? I'm mostly interested in the nightlife and activities. I'm in Watford now and I find that there isn't enough to do here. My original plan was to move to London, but it's been hard finding engineering jobs in London.

11-01-2005, 01:47 PM
I was a Cambridge student 1997-2000 and had a blast BUT the social life there is very much college/university based. There was not much outside that - bars/clubs weren't great. I have been back a few times since (including this weekend), and it does not seem to have improved massively. In fact, it sems to have got worse, with a large chav element roaming the town on the weekends...

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 01:55 PM
yah, thats what im worried about. im only 23, but wouldn't really have a way to integrate with the students. plenty of chavs in watford, so i guess that wouldnt be changing much.

11-01-2005, 02:00 PM
To be honest mate, it is pretty much like any other small provincial town in terms of nightlife/activities: not really up to much. The student social scene is great, but like you say, won't be easy to get involved in really. Still, the train is only 1 hour to Kings Cross!

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 02:02 PM
yah, i was thinking i could get a place near king's cross and commute. but i dont know how reasonable that would be.

daveymck
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Oxford is much better for nightlife if looking for uni based jobs. An hour form London as well, plus 24 hr bus for fri and sat nights in london.

Cambridge is pretty dead imho form the 3 months I spent there.

11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
The commute from Kings X is doable, but I suspect it would be expensive.. train was £17 return this weekend, so I guess season ticket would be pricey. Plus Kings X is not as cheap as it was a few years ago... I agree that Oxford is more lively (but still not great IMO)

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oxford is much better for nightlife if looking for uni based jobs. An hour form London as well, plus 24 hr bus for fri and sat nights in london.

[/ QUOTE ]

we went out in oxford about two weeks ago. the night life was pretty good. if cambridge isn't as good, then maybe it's not right for me. its not really a uni based job, it's a spin off company from a professor's research.

RunDownHouse
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
For those that don't know what a "chav" is, here's one GoogleImage result:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/06/chavs.jpg

White trash, I guess.

partygirluk
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Cambridge is a wonderful, beautiful city but not great for clubbing. Some very nice bars thoughts. If you are in Watford and want some night life why not just get the British Rail to Euston? It is only 1 stop.

MegaBet
11-01-2005, 02:49 PM
If you're bored in Watford, you'd be dead bored in Cambridge. It's in the middle of nowhere.

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 02:51 PM
i do i head in about 2-3 times a week, but im only in watford temporarily living at my aunt's house. i'm just here staying for free while im trying to find a job. suprsingly watford's nightlife isnt too bad on the weekends. there are 2 clubs and over a dozen bars on the high street. it's just that there is nothing else to do during the week.

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 02:52 PM
just looked and found that an annual travel card is $4,000 from kings cross to cambridge.

spamuell
11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
If you were a student you'd love it.

The people who are saying it's boring if you're not a student are probably right, if you have any specific questions you can PM me although I don't know tons.

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those that don't know what a "chav" is, here's one GoogleImage result:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/06/chavs.jpg

White trash, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on.

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 03:02 PM
maybe i can just buy one of those college cardigans and pretend im a student.

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Is a car a necessity in Cambridge? Seems like everyone rides bikes...

evil_twin
11-01-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this. I was at Oxford from '94 to '98 and the night life was pretty good and certainly not entirely student based. I had friends at Cambridge and was not impressed with our weekend options when I visited.

partygirluk
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i do i head in about 2-3 times a week, but im only in watford temporarily living at my aunt's house. i'm just here staying for free while im trying to find a job. suprsingly watford's nightlife isnt too bad on the weekends. there are 2 clubs and over a dozen bars on the high street. it's just that there is nothing else to do during the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha you go to Destiny?

ceyoung
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
nah we went to bodega's to start the night off, then to aura, then we hit area to finish the night off. i hear destiny is horrid.

spamuell
11-02-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a car a necessity in Cambridge? Seems like everyone rides bikes...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live relatively centrally then no, a car isn't at all necessary and in fact would just be an annoying expense as most of the centre is pedestrianised anyway and difficult to park in.

nicky g
11-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Perhaps worth mentioning that central Cambridge gets ridiculously over-crowded with tourists/day-trippers in the summer.

daveymck
11-02-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps worth mentioning that central Cambridge gets ridiculously over-crowded with tourists/day-trippers in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangely Oxford gets overun in the summer with hot Brazilian language students (my office overlooks where they sit on the grass and lunch /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), another reason for Oxford.

SOunds like the op would prefer to be in London anyway probably better off going for a job there.

ceyoung
11-02-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

SOunds like the op would prefer to be in London anyway probably better off going for a job there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. but there aren't many chemical engineering or materials science companies in london. the main reason i moved to the UK was to live in london.

daveymck
11-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Imperial College seems to be pushing itself bigtime as a research uni, no opportunities there?

Edit It seemed to be a big on enginerring and maths/sccience based stuff on the campus I was on when working there.

ceyoung
11-02-2005, 07:41 AM
eh, im trying to get away from research and go into marketing and sales for an engineering company.

stigmata
11-02-2005, 08:17 AM
No offense, but pretty much anywhere is an improvement over Watford /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Like what was said earlier, Oxford has a bit more of a "real town" rather than just being a University. Cambridge is nice though, obviously a beautiful city, nice pubs, relaxed atmosphere. It depends what you like though. Maybe for a 23yo you might be a bit bored there to be honest, unless you can fit in well with upper-class students.

ceyoung
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but pretty much anywhere is an improvement over Watford /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but watford is free.

[ QUOTE ]
unless you can fit in well with upper-class students.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure i could, but getting to know some would probably be tough.

can you guys recommend a website for short-term housing or sublets? like a classifieds page? it looks like im going to take a 1-month position to start off, so i can see if i like it and they are satisfied with my work.