PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question

SittinOnDubsWGW
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Alright, here is my dilemma, I've been away from my old condo for about 4 months, all the while my computer was there, so I just moved my computer over to my new apt. While setting it up last night I turn it on, and the screen where you choose username and password came up. The only time this screen has ever came up was the very first time I set up my comp about a year or so ago, I don't recall setting a password at that screen or I just completely forgot it.

I have never had to go to that screen since the very first time I've ever set up my comp, I'm thinking that it is a possibility that my old roomie put a password on it just to be a dick.

Is there a way around this?

danzasmack
11-01-2005, 01:28 PM
restart in safe mode under amdinistrator, then change the password.

that being said - anyone know what to do if you forget administrator password (assuming you set one up)?

d10
11-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Was he stupid enough to leave a forgotten password question? I've managed to log on to friend's computers just because I knew the name of their pet or the high school they went to. But otherwise this is pretty hard to get around. I'm assuming you can't call your old roomie up and ask what the pw is?

TheTROLL
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

that being said - anyone know what to do if you forget administrator password (assuming you set one up)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Put the HD in another PC as a secondary drive, copy your data off it then put it back in the original one and reformat (assuming the data wasn't encrypted/secured).

There are password-cracking tools available, but it can take months to crack a strong password.

SittinOnDubsWGW
11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
restart in safe mode under amdinistrator, then change the password.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I do this? Also, the bubble comes up "Did you forget your password? Please type your password again" But it doesn't let me do anything in regards to find my password if it was forgotten.

joshman1204
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
wtf why would you do this ????

if you have access to another pc just download ERD commander and use the boot disk to change the password.

SittinOnDubsWGW
11-01-2005, 02:15 PM
What is ERD commander... I really am retarded when it comes to computers.

joshman1204
11-01-2005, 02:19 PM
it is a program that boots off of a cd and lets you change all kinds of windows settings without knowing the password. One of the options is admin password recovery.

clicky (http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp)

phil_ivey_fan
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf why would you do this ????

if you have access to another pc just download ERD commander and use the boot disk to change the password.

[/ QUOTE ]

this will work.

Meech
11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
I've used this one several times and it works. It will reset the admin password to blank. http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/