PDA

View Full Version : I forgot everything I learnt in university.

imitation
11-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I've been playing poker for about 2yrs now, I was 4 years into a dual major IT/Law with the IT component finished and Law 1 year completed. Now i'm living in China studying Chinese at university here. I just realised whilst looking at the Java thread, I can't remember a [censored] thing I learnt in that IT degree, I couldn't possibly for the life of me at this point even imagine including it on my resume or attempting to gain even an entry level IT position.

Has this ever happened to anyone else. And it's not like I just got through IT, I loved it and did fairly well, logic and mathematics is generally my forte.

On a side note when I finish up studying here i'm planning on going back and finishing the law, but I think i'd like to be a stock broker, for myself I mean not for a firm. I think it's a good job for someone who generally approaches things in numbers.

I am 22, if that helps.

CollinEstes
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I am assuming you are saying you are taking law at the undergraduate level. If not I don't really see the benefit of getting a JD if you want to be a stock broker.

phixxx
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
drugs are bad for your brain~~

astroglide
11-01-2005, 01:20 PM
stopped reading at 'learnt'

imitation
11-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes undergrad, this is how it works in Australia, or something I don't know but it's what I'm doing.

KaneKungFu123
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
what does IT stand for?

CollinEstes
11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
IT is computer stuff, Information Technology.

The best degree for a wanabe stock broker would be a finance degree I would think, or econ.

Paluka
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I got my bachelor's in applied physics, and at this point I know absolutely zero about physics. I'm 30 though.

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best degree for a wanabe stock broker would be a finance degree I would think, or econ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not econ. Being a broker is more about sales and marketing than finance actually.

CollinEstes
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Probably true any business degree would probably suffice.

KaneKungFu123
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
how are your language lessons going? do you have gf there?

Aloysius
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an IT bent / numbers facility, then being a stockbroker isn't really a great choice for a career. You're just a salesman hustling on the phone trying to sell stuff. Very little economic / numerical analysis at all.

You would probably be more interested in investment banking, portfolio research... things like that.

KaneKungFu123
11-01-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an IT bent / numbers facility, then being a stockbroker isn't really a great choice for a career. You're just a salesman hustling on the phone trying to sell stuff. Very little economic / numerical analysis at all.

You would probably be more interested in investment banking, portfolio research... things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe OP meant day trader?

Aloysius
11-01-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - if he actively traded stocks, that would probably be more fulfilling for OP. And might (depending on how and what he traded) involve actual valuation analysis, number crunching etc.

manpower
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not econ. Being a broker is more about sales and marketing than finance actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, brokers are essentially glorified salesmen. I had a sleazeball professor who was a broker by trade. He taught the class at night after work, and we were all pretty sure that he only did it as part of some probation he got for well... being a sleazy broker. Anyway, he was known to trail off into stories about how dumb his customers were and the ways he could be [implied: is] taking advantage of them.

So i guess my point is, it doesn't matter much what you study if you want to be a broker.

gamblore99
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
It may seem like that, but I think a lot of this information is still present in a non-delcaritve memory store somewhere in your mind. Although it may feel unfamiliar, if you try learning this stuff again, usually you can blast through it with ease because you still have a knowledge/understanding from the first time around. So say you did have to do this stuff, it may take a while to get back to the peak you were at, but to do the basics should come relatively easy, with a brief review of course.

imitation
11-02-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry that's what I meant, I would assume it requires some kind of analytical thought, not neccesarily number crunching but logic and reasoning.