PDA

View Full Version : Tipping for low-limit high hand jackpots?

offTopic
06-13-2003, 04:48 PM
What do you generally tip for these things?

Not that it's a frequent concern of mine, but I was wondering based on odd tipping behavior I've seen in the pit. Sometimes people will get on a nice run at the craps table, for instance, make a bunch of tips "for the boys", and end up busting out. Strangely enough, the dealers do not give the player a refund. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I tip a lot in a restaurant (well, if the service is good) and as has been discussed ad nauseum, the reason for tipping in a poker game should be based on quality of service, and not on any specific windfall.

If I have a $100 restaurant bill, and the service was good, I've got no problem tipping $20 (or more) but if I'm playing 3-6 and win a $100 high-hand bonus, that $20 is more than 3 big bets.

What do you do in these (all too rare) situations?

Dynasty
06-14-2003, 06:34 AM
I've made a few big tips up to 10% on bonuses $300+.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-14-2003, 04:20 PM
I've never won any kind of jackpot, so I don't have any personal experience. However, I don't see why the person paying you, or the dealer, deserve any great extra tip. If the activity involved is costing the dealer the time it takes to deal out hands, then tip them enough to make up for it. Other than that, I don't see the need.

As for the floorman or other person paying you, I again don't see why more than a small tip, $5-10, is warranted. And I say this with big jackpots in mind as well. Tip based upon the time and service they give you, not the size of the jackpot.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

scalf
06-14-2003, 06:08 PM
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif doctors and lawyers are terrible tippers....gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

offTopic
06-14-2003, 11:51 PM
I've made a few big tips up to 10% on bonuses $300+.

Wow - that's pretty hefty...do you only do this in rooms where you're a regular, or is it a standard practice?

offTopic
06-15-2003, 12:04 AM
I've never won any kind of jackpot, so I don't have any personal experience. However, I don't see why the person paying you, or the dealer, deserve any great extra tip. If the activity involved is costing the dealer the time it takes to deal out hands, then tip them enough to make up for it. Other than that, I don't see the need.

While I agree in principle, it seems more or less customary, and I was just wondering how much was typically given.

$5 or $10 is what I've given the two times I was fortunate enough to win a (small) jackpot, one was about 100, and the other one was about 250.

I was in a room when another table went off with the bad beat. "Loser" got $22k...I don't know what I would have done in his shoes (besides faint).