PDA

View Full Version : First hand at table and Im already into it.

checkmate36
11-01-2005, 07:59 AM
PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Very first hand at table so no reads.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Too aggro?

lautzutao
11-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Haha, with 0 reads that's pretty bonkers. Worked though/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Webster
11-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Well - you bet is screaming raise me as it is obviously a bluff. So you have to decided what to do next before you bet. WHICH - is hard on the 1st hand.

11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
*Grunch*

Yes, I think it was a little too aggro. HU on the flop vs. an unknown and a small pot with AA on the board - I think you're intial lead is ok (pick up the pot right away w/ a marginal hand) but when re-raised I would have simply called or folded outright.

2+2 wannabe
11-01-2005, 08:23 AM
yuck

why are you 3-betting in such a small pot when you're probably behind?

checkmate36
11-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I thought a good chance my 7's were good. He needs either an ace or a 7 to have connected with the flop. Since 2 A's hit on the flop he probably doesn't have one. If he has a 7 then my kicker is good.

Anyways pot was small and if I get beat at showdown I hoped it would give me an image as an action player. (even though my opponents mostly only concentrate on the card in their own hand and not the card of the opponent)

2+2 wannabe
11-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I see where you're coming from (he could be playing k high this way perhaps), but this raise, with the super-small pot, probably means you're behind. I'd probably call (might fold if they are uber-passive), and perhaps call down depending on the cards that come.

It takes balls for someone to raise a SB bet with a hand that you currently beat (but it is nano-limit so you never know)

Nilbud
11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought a good chance my 7's were good. He needs either an ace or a 7 to have connected with the flop. Since 2 A's hit on the flop he probably doesn't have one. If he has a 7 then my kicker is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line of thinking. It's not something I considered when I first looked at the hand.

Still, I think I would call the flop raise and check/call the turn. If he checks behind on the turn, I bet the river and fold to a raise (I'd probably have to call the raise, but I'm sure that's wrong).

Aaron W.
11-01-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely neglected the possibility of a pocket pair. In fact, this hand looks like you might have been lucky enough to run villain off of a hand like 99. I don't recommend you take this line, though, because the only reason he folded was that the turn/river brought two overcards to his pair. In other words, you got lucky to dodge a bullet.

First hand in the session, I'm content to bet-call, check-call, bet(-fold). I don't want to waste extra bets trying to force an "action player" image. I get that already because I raise preflop so much.

checkmate36
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I read this little gem this morning after I played.
"In small pots going too far with weak hands is expensive. You can bet marginal hands on the flop to try to pick up the pot, but if you are raised, usually release your hand immediately or on 4th street if you do not improve." -SSH pg 146 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RiverDood
11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hoped it would give me an image as an action player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's your goal, why not raise preflop? Your hand is middling, but since he limped/didn't raise, there's no reason to believe his is much better.

Then you can bet out on an Axx flop, and if he doesn't have an A, you take the pot right away. Same concept for any gnarly flop like 22J that's almost certain to have missed you both.

This is a crude play that will not work at higher limits. But at microlimits H/U, it's another way to attack the pot right from the start.

Anyway, nice outcome the way you played it. Hope that it doesn't encourage you to bet bottom pair like a madman more often.

DCWildcat
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read this little gem this morning after I played.
"In small pots going too far with weak hands is expensive. You can bet marginal hands on the flop to try to pick up the pot, but if you are raised, usually release your hand immediately or on 4th street if you do not improve." -SSH pg 146 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a weak hand though. That's in reference to hands line middle pair/crap kicker, right?

I'm bet/calling, and calling down.