PDA

View Full Version : Common etiquette situation

goofball
11-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Doing someone you sort of know a favor and them wanting to give you a small amount of cash.

My neighbor kid knocks on my door and says could I help them out. I don't know these people but I say hi etc. when I pass them going in and out. It turns out they need me to drive him and his dad to where the wife is stranded with a flat tire abotu 4 miles away. We just start to change it when the tow truck she apparently called showed up and changed it. The spare looks very dubious so I follow them to walmart about a mile away in case their spare tire gives and plan to follow them home if walmart isn't open. They were and I was set to head home. Whole thine took about an hour or so, maybe slightly more. Before I took off the dad tried to give me $10 bucks. I almost always refuse these kinds of offers but today I was doubting my self for some reason. Thoughts?

More generally underwhat circumstances are we accepting money for these kinds of favors and when and how much are we offering? Not something worked out in advance just something you were offered at the end.
I usually accept a couple bucks from someone if I'm a) giving them a ride, b) might be doing it regularly, and c) they can't reciprocate.

This post feels kind of rambly but I feel uncomfortable in these kinds of situations.

Josh W
11-01-2005, 04:46 AM
My standard line is to politely refuse. I usually say something along the lines of "roles may be reversed next time"

Josh

chisness
11-01-2005, 04:47 AM
hard to generalize, but taking it here would not be proper. if it's a continual thing for a non-close friend, you can charge, but for an emergency like this definitely not.

diebitter
11-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Your usual refusal is by far the best play here. You might need a similar favour one day, but far better you've made some new friends (or can talk more relaxed to these people in future at least), and helped out people - this always give one a sense of satisfaction, I've found.

nothumb
11-01-2005, 05:02 AM
I'd say forget it, just invite me over next time your hot niece is in town or something.

NT

cpitt398
11-01-2005, 05:25 AM
$10 dollars is pretty weak for all that work. Not that it really matters(I most likely wouldnt accept any amount). Just thought I would bring that up. If they are only offering that much, they probably ned it more than me or you.

goofball
11-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Yeah. I refused this time too in case that wasn't clear. I figure favor/karma bank etc is better. And also if you're doing a favor for someone then do it and don't expect something in return.

Part two is when, if ever, do you typically offer people cash for helping you out (even though they'll always refuse).

4_2_it
11-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Always refuse here. Tell him to buy his kid a pizza and ice cream cone while they are waiting for the tire to get fixed.

The only way you accept anything is if the guy would be upset/insulted if you refused; in which case you take it, immediately go into Wal-Mart and buy his kid something because it's gotta suck sitting around Wal-Mart waiting for mom's car to get fixed.

The Goober
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think I've ever accepted cash for doing someone a favor (unless its reimbursement for costs that I occured along the way). If its a long affair (like helping someone move) then I've accepted food or drink in return.

As for part 2, I don't think I've ever offered cash unless the favor is something that the person would normally charge for (i.e a mechanic friend helping you with a brake job). In this case I would offer to pay full price and usually the other person would refuse, or only take part of it.

The times when I really feel like I should compensate the other person, I'll either buy lunch or drinks or something like that. Sometimes I will sneak in monetary compensation by pretending its for something else - i.e. if someone gives me a ride, offer him $10 for "gas money" even though the amount of gas used is no where near that. Likewise with filling up someone's tank if I borrow their car for a short ride.