PDA

View Full Version : (55) I have a garbage hand, but great pot odds...

Slim Pickens
11-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

Button (t1610)
SB (t1435)
Hero (t740)
UTG (t2295)
MP (t1265)
CO (t2655)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t300, SB calls t225, Hero ???

Reads: UTG is a tight-aggro multitabler, but he loosens up in the later rounds so I can't really put him on a hand with the minraise. Button is a loose, passive player. SB is extremely loose preflop.

There's 1050 in the pot. I can fold and have t590 left, call and see a flop with t440 left to shove in on just about any flop, or I can push and get ??? callers and at least 3:1 on my chips with my junk hand.

splashpot
11-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Fold. Maybe if your hand was a decent drawing hand, but 75o is just drawing to 2 pair or better. If I remember correctly, I read in the probability forum that you need something like 20-1(could be wrong) to draw to 2 pair or better. I'd call if I had something like T9s. Stop and go sucks because the flop is bound to hit at least one of your opponents. I'd just fold and hope to get Ax, Kx, or PP in the next orbit.

gumpzilla
11-01-2005, 04:38 AM
My intuition is that you're probably best off folding here and figuring 3 more BBs from your SB might be enough to get somebody to fold. This is based on my hunch that you're going to get more than 1 caller if you push - UTG seems like a near lock, and if for some reason he doesn't squeeze I think you pick up button at least - and then the pot odds aren't looking quite as exciting, because I don't think you'll have enough of the equity. The stop and go doesn't seem likely to give you much folding power. But, it's been quite a long time since I've thought about this kind of situation, so caveat emptor. I don't think pushing is awful, and if you could isolate with UTG then it's probably pretty good.

Slim Pickens
11-01-2005, 05:22 AM
Well, according to the card that came with the last deck I bought, 20:1 is about right to draw to two pair or better. I think the important numbers are:

My hand is a 3:2 underdog against a random hand
It's about a 2:1 dog against a pretty wide range of hands people might be calling with here
It's about a 3:1 dog against two of those hands
6:1 against a higher PP

tigerite
11-01-2005, 05:22 AM
I think it's a marginal fold. Though I certainly don't think a call is crazily incorrect, and you do need to hit something at some point.

You can't push the flop though SB will act first.

Slim Pickens
11-01-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't push the flop though SB will act first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, assuming he checks. He'd been the most loose-passive of the group so I wasn't at all worried about him betting a flop he didn't hit into three other people.

tigerite
11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Hmm. Well, in that case, I probably am erring towards a call here. I'm not sure about stop and go though - it'll be such a pitiful amount compared to the pot.

pokerraja
11-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I think this is an easy fold. You are not that desperate that pot odds dictate you play this hand. You will still have some FE with T590. And you can't be serious about pushing any flop verse 3 opponents?

MegaBet
11-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Fold. You simply don't have enough chips to be trying this.

11-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I fold without giving any thought to other plays. Maybe other plays should be considered and I am wrong to not consider them but I fold just the same.

durron597
11-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I noticed my results have been better when I started folding this, if that means anything.

bennies
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed my results have been better when I started folding this, if that means anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

microbet
11-01-2005, 11:51 AM
I have been calling a lot more stuff based on getting great pot odds, as long as it isn't too crippling and of course it's better if the hand is a little better. Main problem here I think is the 150 is too much of your stack and is basically pot committing. If I see this flop, I basically have to push it if SB checks.

downtown
11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd probably fold and retain that bit of FE for pushing later. Like others said, it is close because of your great pot odds, but in my experience, you're going to get called down if anybody hits any part of the flop or any draw, so a stop and go type bet really doesn't accomplish much here.

bigt439
11-01-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably fold and retain that bit of FE for pushing later. Like others said, it is close because of your great pot odds, but in my experience, you're going to get called down if anybody hits any part of the flop or any draw, so a stop and go type bet really doesn't accomplish much here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.

Main difference between calling and folding is one totally pooches your FE and one doesn't.

pineapple888
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I'd consider a push with limpers and more chips, but this is a raised pot with two callers, and you don't have enough stack to shove any of them out. I fold very quickly.

Exitonly
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
X-Post from MTT (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=tourn&amp;Number=3425308&amp;Sear chpage=1&amp;Main=3425308&amp;Words=%2Bimplied+%2Bodds&amp;top ic=&amp;Search=true#Post3425308)

I say to fold.. ^^ explains why.

downtown
11-01-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
X-Post from MTT (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=tourn&amp;Number=3425308&amp;Sear chpage=1&amp;Main=3425308&amp;Words=%2Bimplied+%2Bodds&amp;top ic=&amp;Search=true#Post3425308)

I say to fold.. ^^ explains why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, and thorough explanation, thanks.

And congrats on doing well in Dublin... read your trip report, you played well!

Simplistic
11-01-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. folderoonie

wizard
11-01-2005, 03:45 PM
This is a call or a push with either decent, not necessarily great, cards or a tall stack. You have neither and your cards are still garbage so MUCK EM. You might justify a call at a ring game but you have a wallet to make your stack tall. Here you will just go broke faster.

11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
fold