PDA

View Full Version : Best proof a supreme being(s) exist?

pokerjoker
10-31-2005, 11:28 PM
anyone got anything?

txag007
11-01-2005, 01:35 AM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3773127&page=4&vc=1

DougShrapnel
11-01-2005, 01:43 AM
The best "proof" is that other people believe it to be so.

11-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I just noticed that you replied to my post, txa... and I missed it. A shame. I will reply here, though. Here was my reply to your post:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. The universe has always existed.
2. The universe created itself.
3. The universe was created.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a combo between #1 & #3. If by "universe", you mean our observable 4-dimensional (that we know of) "universe", then current understanding would say it could not have always existed. However, a multi-verse, a higher-level universe *could* have always existed. This universe need not be intelligent.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, though, I find them so far-fetched that they require more faith to believe than God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that beliving that a supreme intelligent being created us in this vast universe, for some cosmic eternal test, and became a human, and then died & resurrected to save us from eternal hell is MUCH less believable than that there is a "universe" beyond our perceivable universe that we have not yet detected.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not 100% proof, but contrary to the OP, this is reasonable evidence in the existence of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's "argumentum ad ignorantiam" if I've ever seen it. I'll summarize your evidence: "We don't know how or where our universe came from... therefore, the Christian God of the Bible exists."

[/ QUOTE ]

And then you replied:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll summarize your evidence: "We don't know how or where our universe came from... therefore, the Christian God of the Bible exists."

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say "Christian God of the Bible" anywhere in my post? I would appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. I was simply indicating the evidence for a Creator.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a combo between #1 & #3. If by "universe", you mean our observable 4-dimensional (that we know of) "universe", then current understanding would say it could not have always existed. However, a multi-verse, a higher-level universe *could* have always existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely zero evidence for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The OP asked for evidence on why you believe. You are a Christian. You believe in the Christian God of the Bible. You used the term "God" (with a capital 'G') in your response. It is reasonable to assume by "God" that you mean the Christian God, especially since the OP was asking for evidence for what YOU believe. In the future, if you don't want someone to assume you mean the "Christian God", then please indicate that -- by saying "a god" or "a supreme being" or some such.

2) There is zero evidence for a god. My response was to your short-list of possiblie causes of the universe. Your list is incomplete, therefore your conclusion by the process of eliminating 2 of the 3 options, is irrational.