PDA

View Full Version : The Experiment on Doyles Room

10-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry, new to the boards so any mistakes in placement of this post are open for insult.

I recently signed up with Doyles Room to play online poker. I played at the play money tables to get used to the software and decided to take a shot at the $2 giveaway. I won an overwhelming 3 cents in the tournament. Which is great when you consider I had no intentions of playing for real cash anyways. I entered a 1cent rebuy torunament and ended up with a powerful bankroll of 20 cents. After some light playing at 10c STT's, I've got about $1.50 in cash. I have no intentions of depositing, and if I lose it all I'm fine with it. My question is, does anybody believe it's possible to parlay this cash into anything of any value? When should I start playing the 2c/4c tables? Any tips are helpful. I'm having a blast playing the nano-limit STT's, they are great practice compared to play money. So I play on playing those for a while, unless abybody has any other ideas. Thank you.

PR

Synergistic Explosions
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi, welcome.

How old are you?

Freudian
10-31-2005, 11:06 PM
It is of course possible as long as you are winning. If you get hit by a bad luck streak you might go bust, but I have the feeling you will survive that.

NLfool
10-31-2005, 11:07 PM
1) yes it's possible to do it. And possible to go big if you're good, young and dedicate yourself

2) you haven't done much research because there are many sites offering better freerolls with no raked hands requirement

3) play NL your risk of ruin is less (when I started out I played ultratight AA, KK, QQ, JJ (though JJ is played a bit more passively preflop unless the flop came all unders then I'd jam it). Then jam the flop if you have an overpair. This strategy works well at $100 NL buyin and below it looks like a bluff to them all the time. Never slow play at this level

4) when you build a bigger roll (which will probably still be small) you play tight and make a BIG raise with AA, KK, QQ don't get tricky. Maybe allin even, you'll be surprised by how many times you'll get called by JTs, 22, Ax etc.

5) many here started out with very little, if you're good you can do it but if you'd accelerate much faster if you actually did deposit money

Regardless good luck.

KneeCo
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
If you're interested in trying to parlay a small amount into serious cash, you might consider instant bankroll for 75$ on Party.

You .15$ challenge seems fun though. If you have the discipline to stick with it, it's possible to build it up, though one cold run will kill ya.

good luck.

miajag81
10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but Doyles Room has $0.01 rebuy tourneys? Those sound like an awful lot of cheap fun. Might have to deposit a couple bucks there and play them.

10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm young, not saying how young because I see you people like to rat out underage players. I appreciate your advice and look forward to hearing more. I will only consider depositing if I can consistantly win at nano-limit STT's. I seem to be able to do that, but I'm not solidly convinced. I also like to play the freerolls on DoylesRoom that are for action points. I can only play the really small ones though considering my tiny bankroll.

I have a relativly small poker history when it comes to hold'em. I've been playing poker since I was 7, but 5 card draw was the only game I knew, and it was limited to heads up as you can imagine playing relatives for pennies and such. I practiced at the 2000playchip SNG's at pokerstars for about a year, before sellinf my plachips for a small bankroll ($1.25) which I transformed into about $25. I've been dabbling into the DoylesRoom STT's lately. I took a small break from poker this week because of personal issues, but I will be back playing by next week or so. I've been doing all I can to perfect my game, so any tips are welcome.

PR

Synergistic Explosions
10-31-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to threadjack, but Doyles Room has $0.01 rebuy tourneys? Those sound like an awful lot of cheap fun. Might have to deposit a couple bucks there and play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, they got one cent MTT's there.
But the best news I can give you is to join Igotpoker, which is Doyles sister site. They will give you a whole buck just for registering, plus an entry into a 5k if you chose that as an option. A buck and a 5k, life don't get better than that.

11-01-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, new to the boards so any mistakes in placement of this post are open for insult.

I recently signed up with Doyles Room to play online poker. I played at the play money tables to get used to the software and decided to take a shot at the $2 giveaway. I won an overwhelming 3 cents in the tournament. Which is great when you consider I had no intentions of playing for real cash anyways. I entered a 1cent rebuy torunament and ended up with a powerful bankroll of 20 cents. After some light playing at 10c STT's, I've got about $1.50 in cash. I have no intentions of depositing, and if I lose it all I'm fine with it. My question is, does anybody believe it's possible to parlay this cash into anything of any value? When should I start playing the 2c/4c tables? Any tips are helpful. I'm having a blast playing the nano-limit STT's, they are great practice compared to play money. So I play on playing those for a while, unless abybody has any other ideas. Thank you.

PR

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make something out of it man, no doubt about it. I'm not posting here to brag, I don't even consider myself that great a player, I'm just posting to show you a few tips I've picked up along the way.

I was in your shoes once as well. I played playmoney on PokerStars, and got "good" at it. Eventually I sold 8 million chips for $9.00 real money. From then on I just treaded very lightly. I played scared and clueless, I had no idea what I was doing. I played the penny tables, .02/.04 and really just nutpeddled. Once I got $30 I started playing .05/.1 NL because I thought that 300BB was a good NL roll /images/graemlins/smile.gif . I've come a long long way since then, due to a lot of luck, and a lot of reading as well. You must realize that although you may make something out of your money, there is a very real risk that you will lose it. I know you don't consider a couple bucks as a real "loss" but earning those few dollars is something to be proud of. Don't waste that achievement on one hand. You've already made something out of nothing, now make more. I don't have any real bankroll tips for you to start, I have no idea how Doyle's SNG's work, nor their ring games. You can continue grinding out SNG's, or you can go for it. A double up will do you a lot of good here.

You can feel free to ignore me, but I'm going to let you know what I'd do in your situation. Keep in mind I've never deposited from my credit card before, and know what it's like to grind out those penny limits for thousands of hands. It's very unpleasant to play 3000-4000 hands and win something like $10, but it is a very nice feeling to look into your cashier window and see a few bucks knowing you've earned every cent. My suggestion to you is to jump into the lowest NL limit possible. Here's the strategy I'd follow, please note I did not create this myself:

Limp 22-QQ from any position. Don't raise with anything, no, not even queens. If you flop a set, push all-in. Be aware of straight and flush potential on the flop, you're pushing if it's relatively safe.

Push all-in with KK/AA preflop, regardless of previous action. You're UTG with KK? All-in

Limp any Axs, calling bets of 3xbb MAX. If you flop a flush, push all-in as long as the board is unpaired. If you flop a flush draw, draw to your flush if you can do so cheaply. I've read that flushes will only come ~6% of the time when you play two suited cards; keep that in mind. Remember, you're pushing when you hit your flush.

You fold everything else. I'm going to tell you to fold very strong hands, such as AKo on the button with a couple limpers. Your postflop game may not be good enough to play these hands profitably. The whole point of this strategy is to hammer massive edges. We aren't getting potential profit out of marginal hands, or hitting small edges. We're getting our money in when we have the best of it. If you follow this strategy, you WILL encounter very bad beats occasionally, but you WILL become a winning player. You're going to be extremely bored at first, this is very straightfoward. Watch TV and surf 2+2 while you fold you AQo in an unraised pot. Once you double up a few times, you can add more tables, allowing you to see many more hands, which makes this strategy much more profitable.

This is just my opinion on how I'd play were I in your situation. Do not assume it is the "norm" or anything. I think it is your best bet to turn your small sum into something more reasonable, at a decent pace; keep in mind you can also lose it all on one hand.

Cry Me A River
11-01-2005, 12:25 AM
My bankroll started with a $13.50 prize in a Freeroll. Went bust shortly thereafter. $17.60 in another Freeroll. Bust. $20.30. Bust. $30.60...

And that time, it stuck. Since then, I've cashed out... Well, let's just say I've done okay... It's very, very possible to build a respectable bankroll from nothing!

I was playing on Interpoker (Crypto used to have really juicy weekly Freerolls) where there were no microlimits so I was playing $5+1 SNGs with an insanely high ROR (risk of ruin) given my tiny bankroll and just trying to string together several cashing tournaments until my balance got to a sustainable level. Which is why I busted out and started over several times.

I have a buddy who's only ever played play money. He's been playing casually as long as I have (about 2 years) and I just shake my head every time we talk about it. What a waste of time. He could easily have been playing for real, building a bankroll and learning the game properly instead of messing around with play money monkeys.

If you're going to play, you might as well be making coin. Particularly if it's free money...

Joshssj4
11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I've turned a dollar into hundreds several times. Of course eventually lost it all in a drunk stupper but the point is it's possible.

StacysMom
11-01-2005, 12:57 AM
GL man, although if ur dedicated, it might be easier to findsome one to bank roll you for microlimits.

timprov
11-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Yeah, it's possible to turn it into something worthwhile. There are quite a few posters here, including me, who started with nothing and have done well for themselves.

Sniper
11-01-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually I sold 8 million chips for $9.00 real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sold too soon... play money chips now sell for about $20/Million on ebay!!!

addickt
11-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Jesus, are you guys joking??? I almost peed myself reading this.. Yah, yer gonna probably build a monster BR with .01 and Im sure the play is really solid at the .01 level as well so you should learn some great technique.

Unbelievable.

Email me and I will transfer you 50 bucks on party if you promise never to post anything so GD stupid again

daveymck
11-01-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, are you guys joking??? I almost peed myself reading this.. Yah, yer gonna probably build a monster BR with .01 and Im sure the play is really solid at the .01 level as well so you should learn some great technique.

Unbelievable.

Email me and I will transfer you 50 bucks on party if you promise never to post anything so GD stupid again

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be surprised how many people have started off with zlmost zero bankroll on here and moved up through micro limits and on further utilizing bonuses as well. $50 on party will not have him properly bankrolled for any of the games there.

There is a lot of good learning and experience learning to beat the loose no foldem micros that would stand him in good stead later in his career.

addickt
11-01-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be surprised how many people have started off with zlmost zero bankroll on here and moved up through micro limits and on further utilizing bonuses as well. $50 on party will not have him properly bankrolled for any of the games there.

There is a lot of good learning and experience learning to beat the loose no foldem micros that would stand him in good stead later in his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a dumb argument.. .01 isnt even poker... If nobody cares if they lose why would they play correctly?

Also, to build a bankroll from .01 or even 1.00, even calculatng variance at a LOW 400 bb is nearly impossible mathematically..

Maybe our definitions of a bankroll are vastly different, but I will propose that it is nearly if not impossible to build a bankroll that can support even a trailer park and turkey pot pie lifestyle like this.

Im too tired and lazy to do the math on this right now, but i can promise you that there is NOBODY that is sustaining a real living that built there bankroll from a few cents or even a few bucks.

Thats absolutely ridiculous, you have a better chance of building it to a dollar and playing the lottery.

SoftcoreRevolt
11-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Yes, it is possible to turn this into a real bankroll. It takes a lot of effort, but it can be done. This would be much more impressive than most though.

If you want to build from nothing, you may want to try the free 10 dollars on Royal Vegas, or Instant Bankroll as has been mentioned. (Although I might wait on that until you have played a bit more.)

addickt
11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is possible to turn this into a real bankroll. It takes a lot of effort, but it can be done. This would be much more impressive than most though.

If you want to build from nothing, you may want to try the free 10 dollars on Royal Vegas, or Instant Bankroll as has been mentioned. (Although I might wait on that until you have played a bit more.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please define a REAL bankroll, because it just plain isnt possible.. CERTAINLY isnt worth the time that it would take to even make it a 1 in a million shot..

Youd be better off collecting pop or peddling on the street BY A LONG LONG SHOT.

If your time isnt worth more than a few cents an hour than I would just put a bullet in your head now.

Your computer probably using more electricity per hour than you are making..

I cant believe you guys are supporting this.. How stupid are you?

No wonder that even with the membership of this place tripling, My bb/100 keeps going up.

Unreal how flawed your arguments and logic are.

There is NOBODY, and I REPEAT NOBODY that makes a living that started playing with a few cents and is now making a living.............

NOT WITHOUT some influx of cash from an external source, granted there are people that started at nanos that are making a living now at it...

But they didnt build the BR that they support life with from it.

skiier04
11-01-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a dumb argument.. .01 isnt even poker... If nobody cares if they lose why would they play correctly?

Also, to build a bankroll from .01 or even 1.00, even calculatng variance at a LOW 400 bb is nearly impossible mathematically..

Maybe our definitions of a bankroll are vastly different, but I will propose that it is nearly if not impossible to build a bankroll that can support even a trailer park and turkey pot pie lifestyle like this.

Im too tired and lazy to do the math on this right now, but i can promise you that there is NOBODY that is sustaining a real living that built there bankroll from a few cents or even a few bucks.

Thats absolutely ridiculous, you have a better chance of building it to a dollar and playing the lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started with $1.20 on Stars back in March and have it up over 6 grand now.

daveymck
11-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Where did he say he needed to support his life from it?

The problem is addikt you aint seeing it form his side, he is a young kid 14-17 by the sounds of it who probably has a few $ income a week. Rather than play wow he wants to play poker, moving form zero up to a few hundred $ is perfectly possible and no doubt for him a decent amount. He is also getting a decent start to his poker education for little risk.

Using the dicipline, patience and experience of beating ultra loose micros he would be in a position to bonus whore his way up the higher micros and up to small stakes, is the play that different on 1c/2c to .5/1 yes to a point but not as much as you might think.

What is so unreasonable about that argument and logic?

krimson
11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
A lot of players here started their poker BR by freerolling, so it's definitely do-able. The real question is, if you do make a considerable amount of money, how do you intend to cash it out, given that your underage?

To find the highest limit you can (safely) play, multiple the big bet by 300. ie: (2c/4c) $0.04x300 = $12.

ctv1116
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
This is exactly how I got my start. Played a couple Paradise freerolls in 2003, won $1.40, then played a $1 tourney and got it up to $10. Played 0.5/1 and got lucky to bring it up to a standard roll of $300, and have since amassed approx. 35K in winnings playing 10/20 6max. Never have deposited a cent in my life.

OldLearner
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm young, not saying how young because I see you people like to rat out underage players.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How so?

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I love the humor on this site!!! Its so funny!

11-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Tell me your getting rakeback!!
If you had signed up through me you could have gotten an extra 8 cents by now!

pudley4
11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please define a REAL bankroll, because it just plain isnt possible.. CERTAINLY isnt worth the time that it would take to even make it a 1 in a million shot..

Youd be better off collecting pop or peddling on the street BY A LONG LONG SHOT.

If your time isnt worth more than a few cents an hour than I would just put a bullet in your head now.

No wonder that even with the membership of this place tripling, My bb/100 keeps going up.

There is NOBODY, and I REPEAT NOBODY that makes a living that started playing with a few cents and is now making a living.............

NOT WITHOUT some influx of cash from an external source, granted there are people that started at nanos that are making a living now at it...

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY

KJ o
11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually I sold 8 million chips for $9.00 real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sold too soon... play money chips now sell for about $20/Million on ebay!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I have always wanted to know: who is paying for play money? Why? Does it have any kind of value at all?

Cry Me A River
11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know what you are talking about.

As outlined in my original post, I started under similar circumstances (though with a somewhat bigger initial roll, but on a site with no microlimits). I was laid off from my job at the end of September. I start a new job in about a week but for the month of October I played poker full time and made more money than I have at any job in my life. I'm not turning pro, but I obviously could.

And anyway, who says he has to support himself playing poker? And who are you to decide what hobbies are worthwhile and which ones aren't? If a guy spends ten years building a boat in his backyard, is that a big waste of time because he could have just bought one? If someone plays golf a couple times a week but never makes a cent, is that a big waste of time? Does your every waking moment consist of working to "support life"?

Cry Me A River
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have always wanted to know: who is paying for play money? Why? Does it have any kind of value at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the belief is that the highest "play money" buy-ins play closest to "real money". So it's people who want to play at the highest "play money" tables (either to improve their game until they're confident enough to play for real money OR just to have the best play experience) without having to take the time grind their "play money" roll until it's big enough to do so on their own.

FishNChips
11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where did he say he needed to support his life from it?

The problem is addikt you aint seeing it form his side, he is a young kid 14-17 by the sounds of it who probably has a few $ income a week. Rather than play wow he wants to play poker, moving form zero up to a few hundred $ is perfectly possible and no doubt for him a decent amount. He is also getting a decent start to his poker education for little risk.

Using the dicipline, patience and experience of beating ultra loose micros he would be in a position to bonus whore his way up the higher micros and up to small stakes, is the play that different on 1c/2c to .5/1 yes to a point but not as much as you might think.

What is so unreasonable about that argument and logic?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is right on the money.

I, as many others have, started with freerolls. I got $2.50 when I hit a Jackpot on UB on a play table and Superior Poker put $5 into my account to lure me there. It just takes a while to build it up to about $100 ... but once you do that you can bonus whore your way to fame and fortune.

To the OP ...
DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANY NEW ACCOUNTS UNTIL YOU KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT RAKEBACK AND BONUSES.

It can be done, it just takes a while.
FishNChips

11-01-2005, 03:45 PM
If you're having fun playing the Nanolimit SNG's, then keep at it. Play in those is probably closer to play in $5-10 SNG's than Nanolimit ring play is to $1/2. Just have fun and play to win. You'll find donks at all levels, so just learning how to win against them at your level will pay off later.

I used SNG's to play $20 up to $400, then ring play took the $400 to about $7k.

GrannyMae
11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u r a tool.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k0/smashfreak.gif

chadplusplus
11-01-2005, 05:54 PM
After cashing out of PP in June for two reasons 1) to force myself to study for the bar and 2) to support myself during that same period, and followed by no significant income (as of yet), I was pokerless.

Well bored one night, I checked out my old accounts at UB and Pacific. Well, I found $2.60 at UB (with like $20 in bonus still sitting there).

I played at the .01/.02 tables (rake free zone so I didn't start earning the bonus) but it was actually semi decent poker. Sixty percent seeing flop 2-3 people at showdown and regular betting (wasn't capped on every street), I was surprised as I also expected play money style of play.

So the .01/.02 wasn't exactly playing against pros, but it was a little bit similar to party .50/1.00.

Once I got to $10, I jumped to .05/.10 tables and began to earn the bonus. Those tables were similar to the .01/.02. These tables are very easy to beat merely by being a TAG. I think I had an AF of over 3.00 for a while (flop AF was like 4.5). I had a friend join UB and got his referral bonus (a measly $25, but it helped). Well, I'm back in business now and very happy.

Point is, its doable... but starting with .03 (or whatever it was) might be tough.

Too bad they don't have .0001/.0002

Edit: when playing at these limits, always refer to winning sessions by the number of BBs won... cause "Hey, I won $2.43 last night playing poker." doesn't compare to "I won 120 BBs last night."

B00T
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

midwestkc
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

[/ QUOTE ]

but since he's young, his parents are probably fronting the bill.

11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even consider the fact that not everyone plays poker purely for money? Why do you think the THOUSANDS of playmoney players are there? They play to have fun, you imbecile. I can guarantee you that when I first started out, I had no idea that my Neteller account would end up holding more than my bank account, and no my bank account isn't looking *that* bad.

Believe it or not, there are things you can learn from nano-limit play. Not everyone can just deposit $700 and hop into 1/2. If someone were to simply give me my entire bankroll and told me to play some 1/2, it'd be gone in a matter of days. I spent a ton of time playing $2 NL. Yes, it sucks that I made virtually no profit financially, but you can think of it like implied odds; it pays off later.

Please tell me the difference between a good player depositing $500 to start his roll, and a player that began with playmoney turning his dollar into $500. They both have equal potential to make "a living" from poker, assuming they are equal in skill. Your argument that a player cannot make a living out of what started as nothing is flawed. Yes, it will take much longer than simply depositing money, but once both players have $1000 in their account, what's the difference? Our freeroll player will have gained a lot of experience over tens of thousands of hands, of course much of which is useless as he takes a large step in limits, his $2 NL thoughts will have no bearing on $50 NL. There are some fundamentals he would have learned along the way though, Hold'Em cannot simply be learned through reading, it takes practice and experience.

Keep in mind, just because you have a lot of money in your account and consider these nano-limits as a "waste of time" and that if someone has nothing better to do than to play nano that they should "put a gun to their head", this does not mean that players cannot make something from nothing, that their time is wasted, or most importantly, that they cannot have fun.

The OP is obviously fairly young, and does not intend to support his lifestyle with poker. He's looking for a way to turn his meager bankroll into something more useful and realistic. This is something that most of the posters have attempted to HELP him to. Yourself, you've just wasted everyone's time, posting your absolute bullshit. You obviously have zero experience at building a bankroll from nothing, and I firmly believe that you can't do it, since you obviously lack the patience and dedication. Have you ever experienced a downswing? What about if this downswing wipes out your entire bankroll because you're severely under-funded? I'm not saying that it's correct to play out of your roll, but if you can successfully win and win and dodge that risk of ruin, then that's something to be proud of.

Just to let you know, I do not make enough money from poker to support myself. I have a job, I'm a student, and I play a lot of poker. It is a hobby for me, I love playing, but I love seeing my money going up as well. Just because someone wishes to increase their money, it doesn't mean that person necessarily needs to support himself with it. This is what you assumed.

Good luck.

addickt
11-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok.. do the math... Please tell me how long it would take to build even 5k...

Starting at .01 winning a HEALTHY 3 bb/100 and playing 1k hands per week..

Moving up in stakes to next limit once you have 400 bb as a bank roll....

lets see the math, and that assuming HE NEVER has a losing streak.

The people supporting this are absolute fools, I would venture to say that anyone supporting this argument is playing no higher than 3/6....

And if your playing 3/6 or lower...
1. You arent a good player
2. You arent earning much of a living from poker

I would think you could probably collect 10 cans per hour (50C per hour) and maybe stumble accross a nickel or dime on the streat in that time as well...

SO unless you are making 60 bb/100, my argument and logic are correct that you would be better off collecting cans for a bankroll.

BTW, you guys are morons

FishNChips
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The people supporting this are absolute fools, I would venture to say that anyone supporting this argument is playing no higher than 3/6....

I would think you could probably collect 10 cans per hour (50C per hour) and maybe stumble accross a nickel or dime on the streat in that time as well...

SO unless you are making 60 bb/100, my argument and logic are correct that you would be better off collecting cans for a bankroll.

BTW, you guys are morons

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP is a kid who wants to learn w/o depositing $$$. Starting with a few pennies and figuring the game out is a good way to go.

If he spends a year working on his game and scratching away eventually he'll have enough to be a bonus whore and start building a reasonably legit BR to be able to play 2/4 o r 3/6 or 5/10. Once he gets there, the tens of thousands of hands he's played at micros (as well as the reading he's surely going to do as well) will serve him well. Yes, he'll still have a LOT to learn, but better to have a baseline from the micros than jump in at 2/4. Especially since he has time to get there. He clearly isn't trying to determine "do I take this job or do I go pro" .. he'd just rather play poker than WOW (as another poster put it). I wish I had.

As for your claim about levels and BR and play and earnings and such:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1 - I'm just good enough to beat the 3/6 game, and I'm learning. I wish I had thousands more hands at the micros that I could be building upon. I wish I had read SSHE 4 more times, but I've only been at this about 18 months.
2 - I don't do this for a living. It provides me with: a)entertainment (for free since I win a little bit) - I love to play. AND b) a little extra $$$ for my family. Its not much, but my wife and I get to eat out a couple extra times. I've bought her a few nice things I couldn't have otherwise, etc.

the OP didn't ask "how do I become a 30/60 baller like that stud addikt?" He asked if it was possible to start with pennies and eventually move up. It is.

have a nice day,
FishNChips

jman220
11-01-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, you guys are morons

[/ QUOTE ]

If the OP is a winning player at 1 cent 2 cent, and enjoys playing it, then playing online poker at 1 cent 2 cent versus playing World of Warcraft, or Civilization 4, or whatever the kids are playing these days is +EV for him, and +Utility as well. Would you be ripping into this guy so much if he admitted that he just plays play money for fun? I am however against this for a different reason. Its goinig to sting very badly if this kid works his way up to a few hundred, and then finds out that he can't cashout because he's underage.

FishNChips
11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its goinig to sting very badly if this kid works his way up to a few hundred, and then finds out that he can't cashout because he's underage.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's also going to have to deposit before he can cashout and mommy and daddy might not like having their bank account tied to a neteller account tied to poker sites that may or may not be legal.

but all that is for another day... at this point playing penny tables and trying to learn the game is a good way to spend free time.

FishNChips

Greg J
11-01-2005, 08:39 PM
You are definately going to have to get a littel lucky to build this up into even a nanolimit roll. But I really like yr spunk. Several people have taken some shots at you, but I don't think it's been deserved. Most of the respected posters have offered you encouragement along with some sound advise.

I'm not familiar with Doyle's Room, but the single table SnGs for 10c might be the way to go. You have only 15 buy ins, so you will need to get a little lucky. The 2c/4c tables (where I started by the way) might be a little too high variance, though the game is that much softer since it's probably not raked. I think playing the SnGs with 15 buy ins until you have around 100bbs for the nano game ($4) would be the best plan of attack. Then I would start at .02/04. Anyone dissagree?

I wish you all the luck in the world.

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
At one time my BR was $14. I've played 80K hands this year at levels from 2/4 to 15/30. I've never deposited a dime beyond my initial $50.

It is possible.

I'd take at shot at the $0.02/0.04 games when you get to about $2. Sure, that's only 50BB, but hey, it's only $2 we are talking about.

NLfool
11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
f%#$ the 400BB rule at this level. Take shots when the games look good with 1/3 of your roll. Only way to move up fast. And if you go bust look in the dryer, under the couch, ashtry lots of options

jman220
11-01-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
f%#$ the 400BB rule at this level. Take shots when the games look good with 1/3 of your roll. Only way to move up fast. And if you go bust look in the dryer, under the couch, ashtry lots of options

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with this. Who cares about a high risk of ruin when you can most likely freeroll your way into a bankroll the same size as your current one anyway, without too much more difficulty.

pudley4
11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, you guys are morons

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't your original argument. Are you capable of going back and re-reading your post or do I need to quote it for you?

I'd better quote it...

[ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it?

No one is arguing that there may be faster ways of building a bankroll than by playing .01/.02. However, it's not completely useless. He'll get better just by playing non-play-money games. If you can't see that, then who's the moron?

jokerthief
11-02-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, you guys are morons

[/ QUOTE ]

Two years ago I built my bankroll up from 5 dollars playing the micros at pacific. Now my only income comes from poker. I quit my job a year ago.

scrub
11-02-2005, 07:05 AM
My roll started from .01/.02 NL at UB.

scrub