PDA

View Full Version : general question for winner-take-all tourneys

10-31-2005, 10:45 PM
First of all, I'm pretty new here and if this has already been covered, just let me know.
I have been playing quite a few 1 table SnGs lately, and I have been very succesful with my "Survive and Advance" principle, meaning: survive to top 3 at all costs, then survive to HU at all costs. Basically, play tight and let people knock each other out. I've also started using my FPP on PS to play qualifiers to the Sunday 215. These have either 27 or 36 people. Using my same strategy in the SnGs, I have made the FT in 4 of 5 of these tourneys, even managing to win one. However, in all 4 cases, I found myself VERY short stacked. I started at the FT with <15 BBs each time. My thinking is that in 1 table SnGs, you are rewarded for not being eliminated, while in winner-take-all tourneys, you are only rewarded for amassing everyone's chips. Therefore, I feel as if I should play FPP qualifiers MUCH more aggresively. What, however, does this mean, exactly? Should I try to double/triple/ quadruple up during the first 4 rounds? I do not like this kind of goal setting; I just strive to make the correct decision in all cases. Anyway, do you all think that the best way to win these small multi-table tourneys is to try to build a big stack before say, half the field is eliminated? By "big stack," I mean top 3-4.
Discuss. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Jesus Shuttlesworf

ZZzzZZzzZZzz
HEGOTGAME
Ok Nice Nice
GO MONEY

JeanieJ
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Generally in winner take all tournaments you need quite a bit of luck on your side. Your cards need to be hitting well and playing too tight trying to squeeze into the money doesn't work.

Play more of an agresso game. Don't be afraid to get you chips in there. You're going to need to double up on you good hands and lose little with you drawing hands.

The only advice I can give is to play more agresso and open up your starting hands. Take more chances.

-Jessy

11-01-2005, 01:33 AM
k thanks.
also sorry i didnt see that there is a whole section on this and there have been many threads. i found that stuff now. sorry for taking up space.
ZZzzZZzz