PDA

View Full Version : AK OOP

The_Bends
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Second hand at the table. All stacks $100 Hero in SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

All four players limp. Hero raises to $6, BB calls, Button calls

Flop ($20) A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets $15, BB calls button fold

Turn ($50) Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, BB bets $35, Hero calls

Turn ($120) Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, BB pushes, Hero calls

River call is easy given the pot odds and the fact I just got ahead of AT. What about the rest of the hand? I'm not sure about the Preflop raise or the turn check. I know the flop bet should be closer to $20 but I'm not sure that had a big impact on the hand.

Discuss.

amoeba
10-31-2005, 10:08 PM
tough hand, I don't know.

any reads?

occasionally I check this flop.

The_Bends
10-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Nope no reads at all, just got there.

pokerjoker
10-31-2005, 10:30 PM
I fold turn, what are you possibly ahead of here, AJ?

Failing to fold Turn then On the river If I would call a push then I push, otherwise I check fold. In this situation I lean towards the check fold, but would probably call here since I like to tilt lately.

swolfe
10-31-2005, 10:32 PM
i will generally bet again on the turn

orange
10-31-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then usually block the river. Or c/c, depends on the card/opponent.

Big_Jim
10-31-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold turn, what are you possibly ahead of here, AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]
In $100 NL? A lot.

Ghazban
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then usually block the river. Or c/c, depends on the card/opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks aren't really deep enough for a turn bet and river blocker.

I play it like OP a lot of the time. Many opponents will continue betting any ace the whole way but would fold if you bet at them. Its a very uncomfortable way to play the hand, though.....

elus2
10-31-2005, 11:17 PM
you are ahead of many hands like Tx, small pocket pairs, etc. your opponents aren't always rockish nits that only give action when they have two pair or better. reads help a lot obviously but hero's line probably extracts the maximum out of worse hands. by narrowing down villain's range considerably after the flop we allow ourselves to be run over by opponents who assert their positional advantage when we look weak.

nietzreznor
10-31-2005, 11:52 PM
I play it the same way the majority of the time.

savman
10-31-2005, 11:53 PM
AKo, raised multiway pot and the sb go together like....ummmmm...things that dont go together. u are asking to put yourself in bad situation building a pot oop with a drawing hand.

Allinlife
11-01-2005, 02:30 AM
bet turn and put no more

The_Bends
11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Hmm, so the conclusion is vague at best. Some think the line was fine and the situation was horrible, some think I was too passive and others think preflop was the mistake. As it turned out he had AQ

The bet turn block river line is nice in so far as its active and maintains control but the stacks arn't deep enough. Youd have about $10 behind after the river block which is pointless.

The best line on reflection would seem to be bet river, bet turn. I think the flop bet is obvious, CRing would fold all worse hands only getting called by two pair or better. Check calling is interesting but leaves you going into the turn blind. The turn itself is a horrible card because if the opponent has any sense in his flop call you are now only beating AJ, as someone pointed out higher up the thread. This is something I realised at the time (a good thing since it shows higher levels of awareness than I usually demonstrate) and was a big motivation behind my turn check. However this looks like a mistake on reflection.

If I fire again here then I leave my opponent in no doubt that I like my hand. If he raises I'm done, if he calls then I'm done unless a King or possibly a Q (to take be ahead of AT hits the river. When I check I say 'maybe I have something, or maybe I was just continuation betting with KK and now I'll fold. As a result my opponent can bet with almost any two and certainly with KT/JT which are both plausable holding if he's a bad player. So I'm left facing a bet which cold be either a value bet or a bluff with no real clue as to whats going on. As I played it I think the turn call is marginal leaning to EV- and the river call is pretty much EV+.

So if I had to conclude it I'd say the lesson is, if you're not convinced your continuation bets are fully respected fire at the turn to reveal your position in the hand. Since I feel that very few conintuation bets are respected at NL100 this seems like decent general advice.

Hattifnatt
11-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Bet 2/3-3/4 pot on the turn and fold if raised.

canis582
11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Try to CR the flop so you can at least get alot of money in the pot before he sucks out on you. You got the money in when you were behind.

KKrAAAzy88s
11-01-2005, 12:54 PM
and after you fire the 2nd shot on the turn and villian just calls, what is your play on the river? that leaves your ~$40 in both your stacks and $100+ pot. what about when river is a non-Queen?