PDA

View Full Version : Bruised and Battered..I'm Back!

J LU
10-31-2005, 09:57 PM
(Warning - Some may find this of Low Content)

First, I would like to thank all that take the time to read this. This is a request for some help and ideas on how I need to best proceed to improve my game.

A brief history:

I started playing Hold'em in 1999, shortly after Canterbury Downs opened up here in Minnesota. Prior to that, I had played the plethora of home game variations such as jacks or better, 7 stud, low & high Chicago, low hole, guts, etc. Won some, lost some…playing with no clear action plan and relying strictly on luck. It was once I started playing some a Canterbury that I realized that Hold'em could be played profitably, if I only knew where to turn. One day I ran into a guy at the card room that introduced me to Sklandsky, and other authors, as well as Card Player magazine. I started reading incessantly. I'm not a dumb guy, and I was able to realize early on that most profitable players play tight and aggressive. Wanting to be a profitable player, I curtailed my starting hand requirements and brought my starting hand requirements all the way down to probably 30-40%, and started playing more fit or fold. What most might consider a bonefied fish. I was winning some, losing some…overall losing but felt like I was an overall winner on nights that I would leave up $700.

Fast forward to May 2004:

I'm playing a free roll on EP and no one else shows up to the table but one other guy and me. We are bleeding off the non-show blings - taking turns, and doing some freindly chatting. Middle of the tourney he asked me if I was "brown trout". I of course respond with a "???". He then says "2+2r?". I say "what's that" and he spells it out "twoplustwo.com". Which let me to this site, and consequently this very long post.

I started reading the post. Read SSH and purchased PT. It all started to click and I started making money, consistently, for the first time in my poker career. Brought my VPIP down to 21% and was making 2.5/100 with over 30,000 hands (I only play one table at a time). Significant data? I think so. I really saw a change in my win rate and was definitely winning more than losing. On a great streak, probably had something to do with it, but I don't think that was all of it.

Today:

I am down almost 1000 BB in the last 6 months (another 35,000 hands). Obviously something is broken. Yeah, I’ve been beaten with the 7-2’s with AA my fare share, but it is more than just a bad streak.

My biggest leaks:

1 – playing hands longer than I need to. (24/9.6/2.81 total after 73k hands…WTDS 40…W$ASD 43) ???
2 – spewing chips when I am short handed…after a blind/steal attempt or defending a blind with a hand like KJs too aggressively.
3 – tilting after a bad beat
4 – recognizing all of my other leaks
5 – battered confidence. (This is the major reason for the post in psychology rather than the General forum) (Flame at will)

My plan of action:
1 – I just finished SSH Hold’em again. It seems to have helped. I have reduce some of the blind aggression (i.e. 3 betting AK’o with the Ad and a flop of 7d 7c 8d. I plan to read some of the other books on my shelf that have been collecting dust.
2 – I will be much more active posting hands in SS. It was working so well in that past that I decided to quit.
3 - No more “heavy” drinking and poker. “'nough” said.

A favor I ask of you:

I know that from time to time I can be a real “donk”. There are other times that I am a maestro on the table. Everything is played perfectly (or is it just the cards?). Unfortunately, I lack consistency on all kinds of tables. I actually play better with several TAG’s on the table than a table full of LAGs or LAPs. Do not be afraid to flame me. I will not only post hands that I have burnt on. No one likes to read bad beats from anyone. I will try and keep an open mind. This is a great forum and I will respect any poster comments that take the time to read, and respond, to any of my posts.

11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually play better with several TAG’s on the table than a table full of LAGs or LAPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think fixing this is something you need to do. The reason you associate better play with TAG opponents is that you are likely winning more pots than your "fair share". Your goal is not to be winning a lot of pots, but more so to be winning big pots. SSHE gives you guidelines for playing in particularly loose games, so following this advice should generally maximize your earnings against LAGs and LPPs. You will lose a lot of pots when applying such strategies, and if the swings aren't for you, then play a lower-variance style.

The psychological problem with playing a high-variance style is that you will encounter streaks where it seems like you are playing terrible. The problem with poker is that your results are not directly tied to the quality of your play in the short term.

Perhaps you can post the size of your BR, the stakes at which your play, and a chart showing your BB's won/lost since you got PT.