PDA

View Full Version : 25/50 hand

Justin A
10-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Hustler 25/50, the game is great right now, although it's been off and on for the last couple hours. I'm UTG with red deuces. A limp is correct at this point mostly because of the loose passive lady to my left who limps with roughly 2/3 of her hands. As I'm putting out my chips, I look left and notice her folding. Oops, gotta remember to look left sooner.

CO is a youngish asian lady who is very loose, not passive but not very aggressive either, and fairly predictable postflop. I feel like I have a decent read on her.

Anyways, folded to CO who raises, tight SB calls, BB folds, I call. 3 to the flop for 7 SB.

Flop is T97 rainbow. Check, I bet, CO raises, SB folds, I call.

Turn is a 4. Check check.

River is a 6. I check.

Thoughts?

anatta
10-31-2005, 09:56 PM
She looks like ace high to me. I like a bet here. She can put you on a lot of overcards hands that flopped str8 draws (KQ, KJ, QJ) for your flop bet and she will probably call, but she should happily check her ace.

surfdoc
11-01-2005, 03:17 AM
I am over being the nit who always says fold preflop so instead I offer the following story. Mike and I were at Hawaiian Gardens on friday and he was playing in a super loose passive game. We were going to take a break and I walk by his table as he plays his last hand from UTG before taking his big blind. He lets me sweat him and picks up the first card that shows a duece. He waits for the second card and without looking at it spins the both of them face down in the muck and we go outside for some fresh air.

Josh W
11-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Easy bet. Sounds like your opponent is Jade, and she may or may not call, but she likely doesn't have a better hand.

If you plan on playing in that game much, next time you guys are there (if i'm there), I'll give you the lodown on the regulars (they are ALL regulars).

Josh

DeathDonkey
11-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Justin and I played in the game for a couple hours, it was pretty good for awhile but got awful fast. I noticed it was all regulars as you said, we got in the spirit of chips back on blind steals and showing cards and all that, which maybe was a mistake. This opponent looked like a Jade, so you are probably right on the money /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DeathDonkey

Josh W
11-01-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Justin and I played in the game for a couple hours, it was pretty good for awhile but got awful fast. I noticed it was all regulars as you said, we got in the spirit of chips back on blind steals and showing cards and all that, which maybe was a mistake. This opponent looked like a Jade, so you are probably right on the money /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Jade is really talkative, will blame the dealer, maybe the occasional card-toss, etc. She acts like she thinks she's hot, and is often dressed in a businesslike fashion....

She may sound pretty mean, but is a pretty decent person by cardroom standards...

Josh

TStoneMBD
11-01-2005, 05:52 AM
are you calling a bet? i wish you would include that with your post. if youre calling a bet then i think bet/folding is much better. im confused on your preflop and both flop plays however, but those are read based so they cant be debated by me.

DeathDonkey
11-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I think calling a bet against this opponent would be wrong, but this whole hand seems to be pretty read-based.

-DeathDonkey

surfdoc
11-01-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are you calling a bet? i wish you would include that with your post. if youre calling a bet then i think bet/folding is much better. im confused on your preflop and both flop plays however, but those are read based so they cant be debated by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested in the plan here as well Justin. What are you doing if she bets the turn?

DeathDonkey
11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Most of the regulars were really nice - alot better than most places IMO. At first I thought Jade was a very good player, then I saw she was a big LAG preflop and pretty straightforward, loose chaser postflop.

Is the 25 usually a better game than the 15s? It seemed like it could be pretty hit or miss. Do the bigger games go often (I saw 50/100 on the board but no list was growing or anything).

-DeathDonkey

Clarkmeister
11-01-2005, 11:40 AM
bet

PieInTheSky
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
The 25 is hit or miss but it is worth going to because when the game is good it is very good. Plus the player base is smaller so you can learn the players very well which helps a lot on the river making correct folds/bluffs.

As far as the 50 is concerned. I have only seen it spread during the daytime on weekdays (i don't play on the weekend very often though) and have not seen it spread since june, though i didn't play there in july. hope that helps

PITS

Gabe
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you the lodown on the regulars (they are ALL regulars).

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

except for you. you are the only irregular.

sfer
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Online, a lot of suspicious Ace high hands will call. Dunno about this lineup though.

mike l.
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
as hero was telling me this hand i remember was soon as he got to the turn i yelled "donk bet!" and than i thought about it and still favored a bet-fold on the turn. bet-fold in live games is a great tool for the best players.

mike l.
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
"She acts like she thinks she's hot,"

that accurately describes about 98% of all asian poker gals.

and none of them are. all poker players are ugly.

Justin A
11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah sorry I was calling a bet on the river. I wasn't sure if she'd call if I bet so I thought it was better to try to get her to bet. I think I was wrong.

What does everyone think about betting the turn instead of checking?

LearnedfromTV
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am over being the nit who always says fold preflop so instead I offer the following story. Mike and I were at Hawaiian Gardens on friday and he was playing in a super loose passive game. We were going to take a break and I walk by his table as he plays his last hand from UTG before taking his big blind. He lets me sweat him and picks up the first card that shows a duece. He waits for the second card and without looking at it spins the both of them face down in the muck and we go outside for some fresh air.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this once, with a 4, UTG+1 I think, during my uber-tight I've read the book with the charts and know everything faze. 6/12 game. Made a joke about it to the dealer, who I was friendly with. "Only need to see one," and folded. She snuck a peak at my hand.

Flop was xx4 and she smirked a little. Turn x, river 4.

Turns out I folded quads.

This hand led me to the still ubertight I've read the book with the charts but now I see the flop with any pair faze.

Josh W
11-01-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"She acts like she thinks she's hot,"

that accurately describes about 98% of all asian poker gals.

and none of them are. all poker players are ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not you mike l. not you.

11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
river bet....CO folds or shows A high and you win the pot?

i'd donk the turn live.....fold to a raise.

Josh W
11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you the lodown on the regulars (they are ALL regulars).

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

except for you. you are the only irregular.

[/ QUOTE ]

...strongly considering making a prune joke right here.

thinking better of it....

ah, it's gone now. phew.

andyfox
11-01-2005, 11:40 PM
The correct method is to not wait for the second card. Simply move the deuce forward to indicate a fold before the second card even arrives.

Unfortunately, this will likely be my 2+2 legacy.

andyfox
11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
"A limp is correct at this point mostly because of the loose passive lady to my left who limps with roughly 2/3 of her hands."

By "2/3 of her hands," I assume you mean 2/3 of the time she has cards, not 2/3 of the time she see a flop. That being the case, don't the pots get raised behind her more frequently?

Justin A
11-01-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"A limp is correct at this point mostly because of the loose passive lady to my left who limps with roughly 2/3 of her hands."

By "2/3 of her hands," I assume you mean 2/3 of the time she has cards, not 2/3 of the time she see a flop. That being the case, don't the pots get raised behind her more frequently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumption is correct, 2/3 of the time she has cards, and she rarely raises. The table at this time was playing very limpy after she would limp. I'd say my limp was only marginally bad even knowing that she folded.

elindauer
11-01-2005, 11:48 PM
You see all the trouble you're having with this hand? That's why you fold preflop. I think you know this, but it's worth mentioning again. OOP w/ a weak hand vs a somewhat aggressive opponent who raised preflop... ugh. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since you called the raise, you must think there is a fair chance that your opponent raised the flop with nothing. It would be nice to know if you thought she'd also bet the turn with nothing... were you planning to call a turn bet?

If you were, then you'd be better off 3-betting the flop and leading the turn. Your goal here is to represent a bigger hand than you actually have in the hopes of folding all the unimproved high cards she might rais eon the flop.

If you're planning to fold the turn, then you play is a lot more interesting and the river just comes down to whether or not she'll call with ace high. Most do and I suggest betting the river.

good luck.
eric

elindauer
11-01-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this once, with a 4, UTG+1 I think, during my uber-tight I've read the book with the charts and know everything faze. 6/12 game. Made a joke about it to the dealer, who I was friendly with. "Only need to see one," and folded. She snuck a peak at my hand.

This hand led me to the still ubertight I've read the book with the charts but now I see the flop with any pair faze.

[/ QUOTE ]

Information about what you are folding is MUCH harder to get than information about what you're playing. Don't give it away so easily. Always wait for the 2nd card.

-eric

ps. folding quads led you to alwayd pocket pairs? make sure you look away any time you fold 72.

Josh W
11-02-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this will likely be my 2+2 legacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have four words for you sir:

Your Legacy will be Crazy Fox.

Josh

LearnedfromTV
11-02-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Information about what you are folding is MUCH harder to get than information about what you're playing. Don't give it away so easily. Always wait for the 2nd card.

-eric

ps. folding quads led you to alwayd pocket pairs? make sure you look away any time you fold 72.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of joking... I did really go through a faze where I overvalued setflopping, although at loose low limit live games it's not the worse vice. I'll go back to lurking; not much I can contribute to this forum beyond attempted amusement. When I play limit I'm just a 10/20 guy - might as well take the chance to commend you all on a good forum though. I learn a lot here.

GreywolfNYC
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I absolutely hate the pre-flop limp with this hand but since you're in this far you have to bet the river.