PDA

View Full Version : reading...?

lotus776
10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm really looking to step-up my MTT play. I've read Tournament poker for advanced players and would really like some material that is specific to No-Limit and hold 'em more importantly. Sklansky's book is great though; many very very important concepts. I've also read Both of Harrington's books (I've got an extensive library).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Phil Gordon's little green book is helpful, it came out last month. T.J. Cloutier's book Championship no limit and pot limit hold em' is good too. I'd also reccomend reading Harrington's Books again. I've read both a couple of times and you'll get alot of information each time you read them.

TomHimself
10-31-2005, 07:59 PM
i have avoived TJ"s books because everyone says they suck, FWIW

Cactus Jack
11-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Don't think I'm being a jerk here, but you've got all the books you need. Read them again. Read them again, if you aren't absorbing them. Hopefully, you'll be playing, too. There are no books which can take the place of experience.

The more I play, while reading and re-reading Harrington, the more often I find myself in situations he describes, ones that I now recognize, and am profiting.

Here's the part where I don't want you to think I'm being a jerk: There aren't any books out there with the secret handshake. If you aren't able to put into practice what you've read, you need to ask yourself why not? You have the very best books that have been published on playing our game, plus you have this forum. You should be winning more than you're losing. If not, why not? If so, what's the point of asking the question?

CJ

11-01-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't think I'm being a jerk here, but you've got all the books you need. Read them again. Read them again, if you aren't absorbing them. Hopefully, you'll be playing, too. There are no books which can take the place of experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I only got these three books aswell and they do it for me. I also bought an Zhao Yue's Tournament Poker book or something, filled with quotes from his war book. Interesting read but not really what I was looking for.

lotus776
11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
thank you for the advise

11-01-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have avoived TJ"s books because everyone says they suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, as my library of poker literature grows.
I am also reading a lot of material and maybe having trouble applying...but working on it.

Matt Matros' book (the making of a poker player) is an enjoyable read (tells his poker story while trying to be educational), though definetely not as "necessary" as HoH 1 & 2, and other essential reads (sklansky, brunson, et. al.)

I also enjoyed Barry Greensteins book, titled "Ace on the River." This also follows a "poker autobiography" format, and is also not your traditional "textbook" poker instruction. When compared to Mattros, however, he seems to be a lot more informational and more importantly to me, inspirational. For the inspirational aspect, I would recommend this book to anyone; I seem to play better after reading it.

Mike