PDA

View Full Version : Bet, Check, Bet

Jeffage
10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
80-160 on the World Wide Web. I have 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB. One aggressive MP limper, SB calls and I check. Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB checks, I bet and only the limper calls. Turn is the K /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets and I call. The river is the 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet.

Comments?

Jeff

bicyclekick
10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
I think your turn line is ok. Betting and inducing a bluff raise from an overagro guy isn't the worst. Neither is inducing a dumb 1 bet bluff...or not getting popped by a better hand...it's all close and probably doesn't matter. Overaggros don't check behind a ton but he could easily have 6 outs here and you want money goin in.

Given the check call the river bet would have been better IMO if it didn't pair the 5. If it was like a 2 or something I'd like it better. The reason is the 5 is another pair card he could call the river with you know? So I think I like another check call.

I take it you're calling a river raise and hating life?

10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Seems normal enough. I think he shows a busted flush draw here and folds the river, or calls you down with a hand like 67 or 98. I can't see him having A9 since he limped. Kind of a awkward hand OOP in an unraised pot.

10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
didnt see the river 5 paired the board....

I like a check call on the river, IMO.

mc1023
10-31-2005, 07:36 PM
what hands that you beat do you expect will call here and not value bet the river?

AceHigh
10-31-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given the check call the river bet would have been better IMO if it didn't pair the 5. If it was like a 2 or something I'd like it better. The reason is the 5 is another pair card he could call the river with you know? So I think I like another check call.

I take it you're calling a river raise and hating life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the 5 is a good card for him, because the blinds are far more likely to have a 5 than the limper. And so he is unlikely to get raised on the river, because he is now representing trips. So if he knows the opponent he can bet the river and is unlikely to get raised by hands like Kx. Course a real aggressive limper might raise on the river as a pure bluff so you have to know your opponent.

bone77
10-31-2005, 11:01 PM
his bet on the end does not signify trip 5's. at least not to me cause most people would try and c/r that on the end. plus if you thought your 9 was good then why not check and induce a bluff? or are you hoping he calls with a 6?
-tony

obi---one
10-31-2005, 11:10 PM
I think you are more likely to get more money in when you are ahead if you check call river here. A lot of agressive players will still pop you here if you are beat. If he has air he will fold if you bet, but he might bluff if you check to him again.

10-31-2005, 11:25 PM
he's not folding Kx. he's raising a 5. he'll bet any PP and probably ace high. so why bet the river?

Subfallen
11-01-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
80-160 on the World Wide Web. I have 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB. One aggressive MP limper, SB calls and I check. Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB checks, I bet and only the limper calls. Turn is the K /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets and I call. The river is the 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet.

Comments?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your line reeks suspiciously of missed flush/straight draw. So it would seem you'll get called by a lot of A-high hands/low PP hands that wouldn't value-bet the river.

I like it anyways.

Jeffage
11-01-2005, 09:35 AM
He's taking a free showdown with Ace high and he very well may do that with a 6 as well.

Clarkmeister
11-01-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your turn line is ok

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't like it. If I checked here, it would be because I my opponent's tendancies make me think that a checkraise is justified. Otherwise I'm betting.

Jeffage
11-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Planning to call a turn raise and a river bet?

Jeff

Jeffage
11-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Ok, I chose what's arguably the worst river line. He raised my bet. I called. He had A5o for trips. I actually like my turn play, but think it's inconsistent with my river play perhaps. Though it is tough for me to not stop/go there bc even aggro players may pass on betting a 6 here (though this one likely would) and I think just about no one is betting ace high here (most of the time)after I check, but he could call with it. But I think a check would have been better based on my turn play and the river card. It may prompt him to bet two pairs that I beat because he puts me on an ace high holding. Though, I think once I bet I have to call b/c a bluff (or light) raise is more likely since he won't put me on the king after I check called the turn and might believe I'd fold something else.

Overall, I'm ok with my turn play but think checking the river would be better here.

Jeff

PokerBob
11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
why not let him take a stab at it on the river? I feel like he's not calling with a hand you beat.

1800GAMBLER
11-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Checkraise the turn.

AceHigh
11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I chose what's arguably the worst river line. He raised my bet. I called. He had A5o for trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the river bet is OK, it's calling the raise that I wonder about. The pairing the 5 on the river should make it easier to fold to a raise shouldn't it?

PokerBob
11-01-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overaggros don't check behind a ton but he could easily have 6 outs here and you want money goin in.

[/ QUOTE ]

given villain's description, is he open-limping a hand that would have overs on that board?

Jeffage
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, I wonder about it too. It's almost like I'm inventing a reason to call since I'm beaten by a king or trips. But I guess my thought process is that the possibility of a bluff or light raise is increased because I check-called the turn (marking me for less than a king) and maybe he thinks he can raise me off a 9. Unlikey? Yes. Possible? Yes. Should I have checked the river? Probably yes.

Jeff

AceHigh
11-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I was thinking the 5 is a good card to bet the river on because we can fold to a raise against most opponents.

But you are probably right, we don't beat a lot of hands so we should probably check and try to pick off bluff against this player.