PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connectivity Issue

FishNChips
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
There are times when my connection to my home "network" gets dropped and then picked back up again on a pretty frequent basis. Example:
Playing on UB last night and I play 3 hands, then get dropped. The connection reestablishes (I do nothing, it just comes back) in time to finish the hand. 6 or 7 hands pass and the same thing happens. This goes on for the better part of an hour and then my connection has no problems.

This problem acutally tends to be worse the closer I am to my router.

Other info that may or may not be of any help:
1 - any time I'm logged on we have a baby monitor turned on in the house
2 - its a tri-level duplex and there are at least 4 other wireless networks that my computer "sees" at any given time (all are security enabled as is mine).
3 - its very sporadic. Most nights its not an issue.
4 - restarting the computer does not seem to correct anything.

Any suggestions on what might be creating the issue / how to solve it?

Thanks,
FishNChips

10-31-2005, 07:34 PM
try changing your channel.

astroglide
11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
802.11B/G channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only ones that don't overlap. try selecting those, and disable any sort of channel-hopping/auto-selection that your router might support.

i'm in a similar situation with many condos around me. i ended up getting a dlink dwl-7100AP which is a dual-band wireless access point - 802.11B/G and 802.11A. 802.11A is RARELY used and operates in the 5GHz band, i'm able to use it perfectly with no interference. previous attempts at 802.11G were futile because of the disconnects.

if your laptop doesn't support 802.11A (this is pretty likely) you can pick up a mini-pci card (they're easy to install, it will just be a pop-off panel on the bottom of your laptop like memory) for $35 shipped. newegg.com, look for intel 2915.

VBM
11-01-2005, 07:22 PM
A couple of coworkers have run into this (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1090209176) issue with their wireless networks/cordless phones...