PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 vs. PS3

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Which is going to be the better third generation console and why?

DrunkHamster
10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't know, but I would so do your avatar.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
i could see the xbox getting to at least parity, and maybe coming out on top. the big 3rd party developers have mostly converted, the development tools for the xbox are supposed to be infinitely better, and they have at least 6 months of lead time on the console release (pre-christmas should help a bit too despite the price). the boomerang controller is a bit off-putting for the ps3 too.

bear in mind that threaded game design (in order to make use of multiple cpus) is a totally new dimension. the learning curve is going to be especially steep for people in that area, and microsoft has the most dominant development environment on the market so they'll be able to leverage their experience there. if 'digital sna' or whatever it's called takes off it is supposed to be more or less enabling pc games and xbox 360 games to be interchangeable, no signifigant ports necessary. that would be a huge invitation to developers as well to have a 'free' platform release.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

But the video card is only 500mhz?

Freakin
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
On top of a 6 month headstart (and the associate holiday season) they're also expected to release Halo3 the same day as PS3.

So.... most successful video game franchise ever, or ps3 is the question on that day.

Phoenix1010
10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Revolution!

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
rumor is the ps3 is having coolant problems and may not be released until 07...

delayed until 07? (http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000340065758/)

another link with 2 trailers of the same game on each system (http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000690065784/)

awval999
10-31-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So.... most successful video game franchise ever, or

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?
There has been an awful lot of Mario games for Nintendo for the last 20 years.

I don't know I got the PS 2 because of GTA 3. I regret that decision, considering Xbox later acquired GTA and their graphics are far superior.
I imagine, that Xbox 360 will have superior graphics as well, and will focus on games, such as military sims, and shooters that I enjoy. I most likely will get the 360.

pokerdirty
whatever you do, for the love of god, do not get a first gen system. especially if you are going to get a 360, wait until they put blu ray or hddvd in it...

send_the_msg
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has a triple core PPC running at 3.2ghz, which isn't quite the same as three processors. i would be pretty surprised if the x360 was more powerful than the ps3.

WackityWhiz
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whatever you do, for the love of god, do not get a first gen system. especially if you are going to get a 360, wait until they put blu ray or hddvd in it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't. Although I did get a first-gen PS2 and it's still going strong.

uw_madtown
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note, even if they do put HD DVD in it (doubt BluRay since that's a Sony-backed technology), it won't allow devs to make larger games. It'll just mean you can watch movies on HD-DVD.

Freakin
10-31-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So.... most successful video game franchise ever, or

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?
There has been an awful lot of Mario games for Nintendo for the last 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I've been more wrong before

Halo (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/20/news_6116784.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=611678 4)
Mario (http://www.gamecubicle.com/features-mario-units_sold_sales.htm)

12.4 million halo/2 units sold vs.... 40m JUST for SMB1....

I'm sure that halo2 had more preorders than any mario ever did... definitely one of the most anticipated games ever

Reqtech
10-31-2005, 06:11 PM
PS3, because XBox 360 is 2nd generation.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note, even if they do put HD DVD in it (doubt BluRay since that's a Sony-backed technology), it won't allow devs to make larger games. It'll just mean you can watch movies on HD-DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

there won't be any good games at launch anyways. all the good stuff will be delayed til spring at the earliest (see PSP). might as well wait.

10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
PS3 will clearly be the more powerful system, just because it's coming out later and will have an extra year or more of computing advances. Quality of games, of course, will be debatable, but in terms of calculations per second, PS3 wins.

10-31-2005, 06:14 PM
yes, and halo 2 was by far a huge letdown.

the graphical glitches were just bullshit, after they took so long to make it.

heres the deal, the revolution and 360 are going to fight it out for best console, as more and more people find out about the revolution's amazing controller, and they get back their 3rd-party support.

Xbox brought a whole new group of gamers into the industry, and they will not lose the fan base.

PS3 will be damn near a non-entity, as their opening sales in America get spanked by the concurrent releease of halo 3.

If it sounds like Im a game nerd, I am. Im in school to make video games, so I study the market. Alot.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS3, because XBox 360 is 2nd generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

astroglide
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MHz are a relative measurement to the architecture of the chip. a p3 with the same MHz as a p4 will blow the p4 away, for example. that's sort of like looking at car engines and rating them by their RPM ranges and not their actual accelleration/top speed.

much less is known about the architecture of the ps3, but i think the general take is that the xbox is supposed to be faster, but not signifigantly so. as mentioned, sony is planning on having hd media instead of the 360's dvd, so that's an advantage. they're focusing on some pretty weird crap though, like dual hdtv outputs.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
i'm an Xbox guy, even though i have a ps2 (i got one of the new mini ones when they came out for $150 and bought some of the classic games).

That being said, the system i'm looking forward to the most is the Revolution. I think once games finally figure out how to utilize the controller effictively, this machine will be [censored] awesome.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the revolution

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the next Nintendo console, it's so far off my radar that it's not even funny.

send_the_msg
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

heres the deal, the revolution and 360 are going to fight it out for best console, as more and more people find out about the revolution's amazing controller, and they get back their 3rd-party support.

Xbox brought a whole new group of gamers into the industry, and they will not lose the fan base.

PS3 will be damn near a non-entity, as their opening sales in America get spanked by the concurrent releease of halo 3.

If it sounds like Im a game nerd, I am. Im in school to make video games, so I study the market. Alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm this is ridiculous. there are a LOT of ps2 owners out there that like their ps2's and DEFINITELY plan on buying ps3's. oh and btw halo 2 was a big letdown until you really started to play it.

also these vids are gonna help ps3 sales i have to imagine:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/media.html
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/media.html

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm this is ridiculous. there are a LOT of ps2 owners out there that like their ps2's and DEFINITELY plan on buying ps3's. oh and btw halo 2 was a big letdown until you really started to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy is forgetting the global market as well

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whatever you do, for the love of god, do not get a first gen system.

[/ QUOTE ]

After my original Xbox purchase on the day of the launch, I have to agree. If you buy it right away, you will always end up paying a higher price for a system that will inevitably be crappier than the cheaper versions everyone else gets six months later.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whatever you do, for the love of god, do not get a first gen system.

[/ QUOTE ]

After my original Xbox purchase on the day of the launch, I have to agree. If you buy it right away, you will always end up paying a higher price for a system that will inevitably be crappier than the cheaper versions everyone else gets six months later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cola, do you get the "disk dirty or damaged" screen a lot on the newer games?

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pretty much however you look at it, the PS3 is going to have a huge market when it comes out. It's really ridiculous to think otherwise.

The question is, will it be worth the wait?

Senor Cardgage
10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. As far as I know, Sony and Nintendo will crush Microsoft most places, especially Japan.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not since I ripped that POS Thomson drive out of it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WackityWhiz
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn canadians

send_the_msg
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. As far as I know, Sony and Nintendo will crush Microsoft most places, especially Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm surprised MS doesn't just give up on this market and stick to raping and pillaging the american market like they usually do.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not since I ripped that POS Thomson drive out of it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

Reqtech
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Though the hotness of the frenchie chick almost stopped me /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Emmitt2222
10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I imagine, that Xbox 360 will have superior graphics as well, and will focus on games, such as military sims, and shooters that I enjoy. I most likely will get the 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you follow any of the developements in the industry, especially E3 [the video game expo in LA] you would know that PS3 will most likely be far more powerful than the 360. The problem with that is that analysts predict that it could carry as much as a $500 pricetag for being so advanced. By looking at trailers for games such as KillZone you will be blown away by how good it is compared to the games on the 360 such as Dead or Alive that are just barely better than the original XBox.

I think it is way too early to tell which one is going to be better, but if I had to guess than I would say the PS3 personally. In terms of success though, it looks like the 360 could take a nice chunk out of Sony by releasing early and appealing to the mainstream gamer with Madden and eventually more Halo. I'm just really hoping the Revolution can put together the right launch games and they might have a very awesome system on their hands.

10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
no, I am not forgetting the global market... I did say in america.

and no, halo 2 was a big letdown... they nerfed key weapons, and the balance just wasnt right. Im sure they still run Halo 1 tourneys because there arent enough discs of two to go around.

PS2 has a fanbase because it came out first... plain and simple.

There are extremely few ps2-only titles out that make owning one a huge deal.

The graphics are behind the times, and yada ya. It all boils down to the dynamic of the ps2: alot of non-gamers bought it because of its technological breakthroughs (including dvd). Most of these people stayed with it though Xbox was a better machine, and most of these people play only sports games, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, many fanboys play only rpgs.

With the next generation, I will be forced to buy a ps3 for FF7-2, but I see no other games that will be Sony-exclusive that I will be drooling over.

The RPG title will be resting in multiple consoles too, as FF11 will be available on 360, and Morrowind Oblivion will bring rpg-fanboys to the xbox.

PS2's Strongest hardware advantage was the perfect controller, and as of the last picture of the ps3 I saw, they turned it into a boomerang.

Therefore, none of the things that drew in the ps2 fanbase will be there when the ps3 comes out.

However, as you said, in Japan and in Europe (I honestly dont know much about the european market) the PS3 might very well sell nicely.

Look for Nintendo to also rise in respect to the other two with the new controller. However, the life of the Nintendo console depends almost entirely on its online lobby. If it is built as well as Xbox live, look out.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look for Nintendo to also rise in respect to the other two with the new controller.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is incorrect.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
halo 2 was a big letdown..

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't for Bungie and Microsoft. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That's all that really matters in the discussion of which systems and games will be more successful. Which systems and games will sell the most units?

I guarantee you Halo 3 won't be a letdown. It will sell like crazy, and everyone knows it.

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look for Nintendo to also rise in respect to the other two with the new controller.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The new controller is a gimmick like the DS. It will be useful in a few games but is overall not important.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. The new controller is a gimmick like the DS. It will be useful in a few games but is overall not important.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying OPs statement is incorrect because it will deter the casual gamer from buying it right away. Nintendo has to hope all of the fanboys buy one and show it off to their friends. I've said here before that Nintendo needs to package this system with 2 controllers, because they will sell a [censored] load more of these systems, assuming they actually come out with games that utilize the controller.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is so special about this controller?

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is so special about this controller?

[/ QUOTE ] look at the whole thing (http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html)

somewhere there should be a trailer showcasing people using it in action

astroglide
10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ds is [censored] awesome

ilya
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

there won't be any good games at launch anyways. all the good stuff will be delayed til spring at the earliest (see PSP). might as well wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

PGR3 is getting pushed back? noooooooo

meanjean
man, I'm jonesin' to get the 360....can somebody explain what I would get if I wait 6 months and how it will be worth waiting 6 months?

I should state I don't have any system now. My roommate always had the ps2 and I loved to play the football games. He moved out last month and now I have nothing. It's going to have to be a huge arguement to get me to wait

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

:shrug: It doesn't do much for me, but I'm not really into handhelds.

The Revolution controller will have to overcome a lot of, "Huh? reactions. I'll try it out, of course, but it's not at all appealing to me at this point.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-31-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).

ilya
10-31-2005, 06:47 PM
I think the 360 will have the better games overall and may even end up rivalling PS3's customer base by the end of the cycle. However PS3 will still be the better platform for out-there niche games and styles of gaming that are getting to be old-skool, e.g. single-player RPGs.

SomethingClever
Meh... looks like a cross between an iPod and a remote.

I was hoping for something more like this.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/images/vr/powerglove.gif

Emmitt2222
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The gimmick that is outselling PSP worldwide and will have a very strong holiday season with online Mario Kart and Animal Crossing coming out.

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few good games for it but what about the ds is awesome? The fact that it's huge and doesn't fit in my pocket like my SP? If the PSP was smaller i would really perfer it given it's graphics but they are both huge.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The gimmick that is outselling PSP worldwide and will have a very strong holiday season with online Mario Kart and Animal Crossing coming out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh... looks like a cross between an iPod and a remote.

I was hoping for something more like this.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/images/vr/powerglove.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha power pad 2.0 would be much better than a new power glove i think. But yah it's basically just playing games w/ a remote control.

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fanboys + better games > slightly better product.

10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
I was actually lucky enough to try the revolution controller, and it will shock you, I promise. very metagame experience. It is amazing technology that will have very big ramifications.

And for the more conventional types, there will be a "shell" controller that is very similar, I expect, to the ps2-type controller.

I was very skeptical too until I played with it.

Also, they will likely be shipping super smash brothers online as a packaged game with the console, which will be amazing.

It all depends on their garnering of third party support, but all the developers who have gotten ahold of the sdk have been clamoring to make titles.

we shall see.

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about how much random head you could get by carrying around a DS w/ nintendogs though...

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about how much random head you could get by carrying around a DS w/ nintendogs though...

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a catholic priest?

stabn
10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a catholic priest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pls. This game is huge with girls of all ages. The ones that would be randomly giving head i was speaking of are all 18+.

send_the_msg
10-31-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, I am not forgetting the global market... I did say in america.

and no, halo 2 was a big letdown... they nerfed key weapons, and the balance just wasnt right. Im sure they still run Halo 1 tourneys because there arent enough discs of two to go around.

[/ QUOTE ]
i won't argue this as it is a matter of opinion, but i'm not sure what you mean about the lack of h2 discs.
[ QUOTE ]

PS2 has a fanbase because it came out first... plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
any thoughts on the ultra successful ps1? the one that actually built the fanbase?
[ QUOTE ]

There are extremely few ps2-only titles out that make owning one a huge deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
this might be so, but many multi platform titles are designed on the ps system first (as is currently has the largest market share), and a lot of people find this reason enough to buy one. [ QUOTE ]

The graphics are behind the times, and yada ya. It all boils down to the dynamic of the ps2: alot of non-gamers bought it because of its technological breakthroughs (including dvd). Most of these people stayed with it though Xbox was a better machine, and most of these people play only sports games, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, many fanboys play only rpgs.

[/ QUOTE ] agreed

[ QUOTE ]

PS2's Strongest hardware advantage was the perfect controller, and as of the last picture of the ps3 I saw, they turned it into a boomerang.

[/ QUOTE ] i could definitely be incorrect, but i have been told that this controller is not the final controller.
[ QUOTE ]

Therefore, none of the things that drew in the ps2 fanbase will be there when the ps3 comes out.

[/ QUOTE ] metal gear???

[ QUOTE ]

Look for Nintendo to also rise in respect to the other two with the new controller. However, the life of the Nintendo console depends almost entirely on its online lobby. If it is built as well as Xbox live, look out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think nintendo will do nicely in japan (as always), but i really can't picture many americans that would be caught swinging their arms around like an ape. also the people spinning around in circles with this thing are the same people with no friends, so online probably won't be so important /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix1010
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
The PS3 will lead the market, although Microsoft will stay close for a while. The technology advantage is heavily in Sony's favor this time around. The wow-factor is a huge deal when it comes to new systems, and Sony will have all the cards in that area.

Emmitt2222
10-31-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fanboys + better games > slightly better product.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were that many Nintendo fanboys the Gamecube would not be in dead last. They provide some, but not the blk of sales. For that you need to appeal to the mainstream and the numbers indicate DS has succeeded in doing so. I'm not saying its the best handheld or better than the PSP, I'm just saying it is not just a gimmick and I don't believe the Revolution will be either.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] metal gear???

[/ QUOTE ]

Metal Gear? Seriously? Won't the 360 have that franchise, too?

astroglide
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
:shrug: It doesn't do much for me, but I'm not really into handhelds.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why are you commenting on it? do you actually have much experience with the system?

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They provide some, but not the blk of sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do, however, provide a higher percentage of Nintendo's sales.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
I love how there is all this talk about graphics and speeds and blah blah blah.

Why not just either get both or buy the system that has your favorite games? It is really that complicated?

10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
A) the use of the revolution controller is by moving your hand and wrist minimally... your elbow barely even moves.

B) the psp is a gimmick... faulty equipment and 95% of the games are remakes.

c)Castlevania that just came out is one of the most highly acclaimed games ever.

D) wow, you're right, didnt think about the ps1 building a fan base. However, those gamers are dedicated to a better product, and that better product was proven to be the Xbox.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so why are you commenting on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Must I now like something to comment on it?

[ QUOTE ]
do you actually have much experience with the system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have as much experience as I want or need. A friend of mine has one, and I've played around with it.

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does thie equal a gimmick?

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The PS3 will lead the market, although Microsoft will stay close for a while. The technology advantage is heavily in Sony's favor this time around. The wow-factor is a huge deal when it comes to new systems, and Sony will have all the cards in that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you believe 100% of Sony's FUD this is not totally true. There is typically a solid gap between what sony claims it is going to ship and what it ships.

ilya
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually lucky enough to try the revolution controller, and it will shock you, I promise. very metagame experience. It is amazing technology that will have very big ramifications.

And for the more conventional types, there will be a "shell" controller that is very similar, I expect, to the ps2-type controller.

I was very skeptical too until I played with it.

Also, they will likely be shipping super smash brothers online as a packaged game with the console, which will be amazing.

It all depends on their garnering of third party support, but all the developers who have gotten ahold of the sdk have been clamoring to make titles.

we shall see.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the controller looks sweet, problem is most of Nintendo's first-party franchises suck/are boring.

i admit though that Ninty seems to be coming out of its slump a bit. when i first heard about the DS, I thought it'd be a disaster. two screens, stylus, wtf? but i've been impressed at the range and quality of the games that have come out on the system over the last few months. Meteos, Trauma Center, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Lost In Blue....lots of original and fun titles that really take advantage of the peculiar hardware.

So, I wish them luck and hope they can do it again with the Revolution.

10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is mainly a marketing gimmick to promote the UHD. Other than that, it's basically a mini ps 1 and a half.

SomethingClever
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why not just either get both or buy the system that has your favorite games? It is really that complicated?

[/ QUOTE ]

'cause I need the system with the largest v-penis, duh.

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is mainly a marketing gimmick to promote the UHD. Other than that, it's basically a mini ps 1 and a half.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the first game boy was what? A mini 3/4 b&w nes?

astroglide
[ QUOTE ]
There are a few good games for it but what about the ds is awesome?

[/ QUOTE ]

the new cartridge size is awesome. when you factor portability, you have to factor everything. an sp is great for travel, but try bringing 10 games with you.

backwards compatible with the sp, and with an sp game in the slot it holds 2 games at once.

battery charger is compatible with the sp (a nice touch).

the wireless support is awesome. the systems 'just work' when you connect them via wireless, and every game i've seen supports wireless play with other ds owners and they don't have to own the game. wireless play over the internet is going to be a reality really soon.

dual screen advantages for games (this is seriously underestimated even when you're talking about just displaying a map up top), better graphics, stereo sound, microphone/voice support, touchscreen are all obvious ones.

developers are only beginning to scratch the surface for uses of the second screen, the stylus, and the mic. there are already pretty big ones though for such a nascent system. trauma center is a surgery game played with the stylus, nintendogs is well-known with its touch/voice commands, meteos is a sickly good stylus-based puzzle game, kirby canvas curse is an innovative use of it, etc. lots of games that could literally only exist on this platform. sports games (random crap like pool, golf, etc) are going to be really interesting to control.

there are lots of big upcoming things in terms of strategy/real-time strategy games too. shogun empires looks like a great real-time game. the developers of civ4 expressed interest in using the ds for handheld strategy games and confessed to being big advance wars fans (which shows in the visual combat resolution they use).

it helps that castlevania: dawn of sorrow is the best game i've played since tony hawk's pro skater too. that game would work on other consoles too, but i still loved having a persistent full-size map.

Phoenix1010
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you believe 100% of Sony's FUD this is not totally true. There is typically a solid gap between what sony claims it is going to ship and what it ships.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're probably right. But spec comparisons done by neutral video game mags have shown the PS3 having a gigantic edge in potential power. It's not like Microsoft can't exagerrate their specs as well. I remember reading a quote from a third party developer saying something to the effect of the PS3 being ridiculously powerful, much moreso than the 360. We won't know for sure for a while, but it's looking like this will be the case.

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'cause I need the system with the largest v-penis, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10-31-2005, 07:15 PM
No, the reason that I called it a mini ps2 yada was that it is like 90% ps2 remakes.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it looks pretty dumb to me when somebody does an 'affirmation quote' and then proceeds to say that '[the entire genre of products] isn't really their thing'. saying something is a GIMMICK is entirely different from saying that you don't like it. the former implies that it has no innate value.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
the psp is in bad need of games. everybody paid out the nose for the system and a proprietary memory stick only to find themselves watching movies on it (most paying above-dvd prices for retail ones!) and searching for hacked firmware so that they can emulate nintendo games. they really need to get on the ball. i'm not anti-sony, i'm pro-games. if the psp gets a good original library going i'll buy one.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it looks pretty dumb to me when somebody does an 'affirmation quote' and then proceeds to say that '[the entire genre of products] isn't really their thing'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is understandable, but it doesn't really matters to me if you think my post looks dumb.

Just realize that I didn't think much of it at the time. I'm surprised that anyone would get in a huff over something like that.

10-31-2005, 07:33 PM
oh, and my nintendo rep said that when you use the revolution to download nes and snes games, you can play them on the ds.

that is so [censored] pimp

Phoenix1010
10-31-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, and my nintendo rep said that when you use the revolution to download nes and snes games, you can play them on the ds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so incredibly pumped for the Revolution. The other systems don't interest me nearly as much. I really think Nintendo went the right way. I just hope they get enough support.

Senor Cardgage
10-31-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have they actually announced anything as far as price goes for any of these downloads? I might be interested in that, but only if they were really cheap- there are tons of emulators out there.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
implying that the idea of something being a gimmick for everyone and the idea of personally disliking something are similar is dumb. i used the term 'looks' to be less inflammatory, but it's dumb, period. i wasn't worked up about it, just wanted to know your reasoning because i don't see how somebody could hold that perspective.

I will talk to my rep tomorrow and get back to you.

I will pay for alot of these games, but Im mostly really looking forward to games like 007 and perfect dark (if they can get the rights). They will be remaking alot of them.

The games will be relatively inexpensive (as Nintendo always is) and I believe will be sold either individually or in packs (I guess like "All nes zelda games" or "tecmo nes sports games").

I do have my latest quote of system cost at 300.

Oh, and my rep is effing frustrating. As Im going apeshit over the ubercoolness of the controller (got to play zelda with it... shooting arrows is the [censored]), she winks at me and says "oh yeah, there's one more surprise, that will make the controller even better".... and then tells me she can't say more till may.

bitch.

swede123
I'm honestly not at all impressed with the direction of consoles. There used to be a day when you could get a console and some games for a fraction of the price of a computer. It seems they are now becoming replacements for PCs, with games that look worse and cost more than their PC equivalents. To me the Sega Genesis was the last console that was all what a console should be and nothing more.

Swede

Ogre
10-31-2005, 07:47 PM
i dont want to get on a rant but halo 2 is complete garbage.

if halo 3 is anything like halo 2 (which it is) im not going to waste my money on a new box

halo 1 > all

10-31-2005, 07:47 PM
but I would argue that games are much more of a visceral experience, when at their best.

Remember Mega Man 2? If you wanted to shoot, turn left, rub one out, and then jump over that huge hole on to a tiny platform... no problem.

Take a new game.... there are like 700 buttons.

The advantages of consoles are few and far between, but they are there: controllers... much more fun to use, though they give a lower level of accuracy in fps games (until the revolution comes out).

Also, and most importantly, if you want the newest pc games, the cost of hardware continuously rises. If you want the newest console game, go get it.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
implying that the idea of something being a gimmick for everyone and the idea of personally disliking something are similar is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never implied that! But one can personally dislike something because it's a gimmick

[ QUOTE ]
i used the term 'looks' to be less inflammatory, but it's dumb, period. i wasn't worked up about it, just wanted to know your reasoning because i don't see how somebody could hold that perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

:sigh:

Someone forgot to take their pills.

I think you're being incredibly dumb about this, so I guess that makes us even.

We get it, okay? You like the DS.

I don't. I think it is just another gimmick in a long line of Nintendo gimmicks. I also don't much like handhelds, and their gimmick of a handheld isn't swaying me to pick one up anytime soon.

I probably could have said that in a less inflammatory way. But why would I want to do that when I can just completely overreact to something so trivial?

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, the reason that I called it a mini ps2 yada was that it is like 90% ps2 remakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really the system. That's the game library.

swede123
10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember Mega Man 2? If you wanted to shoot, turn left, rub one out, and then jump over that huge hole on to a tiny platform... no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally what I'm getting at though. Mega Man 2 rocked so hard because of perfect execution of a very simple premise. Then again, much of my bias comes from prefering strategy and more advanced FPS games, which usually are way dumbed down for the consoles if they are even available.

Swede

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the psp is in bad need of games. everybody paid out the nose for the system and a proprietary memory stick only to find themselves watching movies on it (most paying above-dvd prices for retail ones!) and searching for hacked firmware so that they can emulate nintendo games. they really need to get on the ball. i'm not anti-sony, i'm pro-games. if the psp gets a good original library going i'll buy one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. I think the PSP is a great system but i do not own one. I've played my friends quite a few times (he bought that and the DS on both of their launch dates), but a system with nothing i want to play is not a system i want to own. That's why i said fayboys + better games is the reason i think the DS is so far in front of the PSP. I think you would see a real race between the systems if the PSP had a solid library.

stabn
10-31-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great way to save themselves from the manufacturing costs they go through now when they release all their old games on cartridges. They get to charge you and you just download them. Awesome.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
i expected you to have a reasoned opinion and i was going to suggest some things for you to look into, that's all. the 'shrug not into handhelds' comment surprised me because of that. i didn't link this and the nvidia/ati thread together until now, but it generally looks like you don't have logical reasons for your tech perspectives. you don't have to worry about similar 'overreactions' in the future because i won't give you default credit for it next time. that's all i was doing.

Lady Dont Tekno
10-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Rumor of the last 2 days is that the PS3 is going to be delayed until late 2006 or 2007. I guess there is a coolant problem and after moderate use it overheats. Sony fired the whole dev team and is trying to sort out the problem.

Again just a rumor from the BBC and one other non-credible source.

LDT

astroglide
10-31-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fully agree. I think the PSP is a great system but i do not own one. I've played my friends quite a few times (he bought that and the DS on both of their launch dates), but a system with nothing i want to play is not a system i want to own. That's why i said fayboys + better games is the reason i think the DS is so far in front of the PSP. I think you would see a real race between the systems if the PSP had a solid library.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think if/when the psp gets a good library going it will be sort of like a 17" laptop competing with a 12" one. the psp is like a "portable media center" and the ds is a handheld gaming device. nintendo gets shelled when they try to fork interests in this way with consoles and impose their gaming philosophies on people (especially america), but with portables the whole purpose-built thing is a lot more tangible.

i think a lot of people who see game boys as toys draw the ds/psp comparisons in more of a "you're getting beaten by this $130 stylus voice thing with puppy dog games?" way than a "your equal competitor is besting you" way. even that probably helps the game boy by making people consider it though. i'm a big gba fan but when i think about it, i didn't pick up a ds until i started reading about how it was shocking people with how it was beating the psp. it was only then that i looked into the games and saw that it was a unique system and worth having in addition to a regular game boy.

10-31-2005, 08:19 PM
honestly... the more things that one particular product does, the harder it is to get any one of them working correctly.

I dont give a [censored] if my psp or ps3 will communicate with a fax machine and my speakers and play little videos... I have a computer/dvd player for that.

maybe Im just old school, but KISS

astroglide
10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
my perspective related but i'm not as concerned with purpose-building as i am with content, i think the former is a means to the latter's end. i always liked the gba as a platform because of the limited graphical/audio capabilities. the less 'shock and awe' developers could do with graphics, the more they'd have to focus on content. the olsen twins games will probably sell great even if they're crap, but non-franchise stuff pretty much has to stand up on its own gaming value. i'd love to have everything but the kitchen sink in a device if people actually made good games for it.

10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
I dont know who posted earlier that nintendo's first-party franchises suck... but that's just about the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Not only did nintendo's first party franchises pioneer most of today's genres, but they are most likely the best selling games of all-time, even if you discount the nes era, since there was no direct competition.

The decline in the quality of games that ilya (I think) posted about is directly related to the "new gamers" that have come up this last console generation.

They care more about blood and tits than they do about content. Dont believe me? The Mortal Kombat games on the latest consoles are awful... yet they sell well.

stabn
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rumor of the last 2 days is that the PS3 is going to be delayed until late 2006 or 2007. I guess there is a coolant problem and after moderate use it overheats. Sony fired the whole dev team and is trying to sort out the problem.

Again just a rumor from the BBC and one other non-credible source.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who believes they fired the whole dev team is pretty stupid /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Lady Dont Tekno
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Linky (http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=544)

stabn
10-31-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Linky (http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=544)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah i uh kinda knew about J's comments already. Slipping which we've all expected for a while and firing the whole dev team are two different things. I guess maybe you don't understand that one can happen without the other.

10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
It is absolutely wrong to think they did that. So Im assuming that you would believe that when Halo 2 got pushed back for six years, they fired all of bungie.

Lady Dont Tekno
10-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Whoa I never said I believed anything. I don't even follow console's sheesh. I just heard this the other day and thought it was interesting. And then this thread popped up.

Sheesh you guys are aggressive. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LDT

stabn
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is absolutely wrong to think they did that. So Im assuming that you would believe that when Halo 2 got pushed back for six years, they fired all of bungie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Halo two did not get pushed back 6 years. Halo shipped [censored] nov 2001. Halo 2 shipped nov 2004. God you people suck at math.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i expected you to have a reasoned opinion and i was going to suggest some things for you to look into, that's all. the 'shrug not into handhelds' comment surprised me because of that. i didn't link this and the nvidia/ati thread together until now, but it generally looks like you don't have logical reasons for your tech perspectives. you don't have to worry about similar 'overreactions' in the future because i won't give you default credit for it next time. that's all i was doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you did give me entirely too much credit! I'm not sure when I have ever claimed to be an expert on anything. I give my opinions and that's all they are, opinions. They can be bad, good, or in the somehwere in between. It's other people, like you, who get to pass these judgements.

I get very tired of defending my opinions on every little thing from each person who disagrees with me, so I usually don't feel a need to explain myself all that much. However, to say that my opinions are based on nothing would be false. They are based on my own logic and experiences.

For instance, I have always had bad experiences with ATI, and trust Nvidia as a company much more than them. Is that brand loyalty? Yep. Nvidia gets my dollars for how much better their products have worked for me over the years. There is nothing wrong with that. When I said that card was the best, it's because I know Nvidia's drivers have always been more solid, regardless of the recent improvements ATI has made.

If that opinion is wrong, so be it.

The DS:

I don't like it.

The main 'features' of the DS are not that appealing to me. And I'm sorry, but it is a Nintendo gimmick.

Here is the definition of "gimmick" I am using:

"b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device

It is novel:
"1 : new and not resembling something formerly known or used"

I did not say that the DS was inherently bad for being a gimmick. All I was saying is that it is a gimmick, and that's not something I generally like from Nintendo. Call that stupid if you will, but the only reason for my opinion is that these gimmicks usually aren't very compelling to me. I'm not suggesting that new things are bad, but Nintendo's gimmicks are almost always weird and uninteresting to me.

Friend:
"Ohh, look! it has two screens!"

Me:
"Hmm. I don't want that, just like I didn't want the last 500 things they've tried to sell me."

Friend:
"Ohh, look! That console has a handle!"

Me:
"Great."

I'm not interested in Nintendo's clever new gimmicks most of the time. But I'll always give them a chance to prove me wrong just because they made Mario Brothers. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now I'm late, so it's time to for me to get out of here.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.xboard.us/bbb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

i love watching people fight over stupid [censored] like this

10-31-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Halo two did not get pushed back 6 years. Halo shipped [censored] nov 2001. Halo 2 shipped nov 2004. God you people suck at math.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, oh, look at me, Im stabn, I dont understand hyperbole /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jk, and to linky poster, I wasnt saying that you said it, I have heard people saying this earlier, and it seems illogical.

10-31-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.xboard.us/bbb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

i love watching people fight over stupid [censored] like this

[/ QUOTE ]

who's fighting?

I love that emoticon.. pure hotness.

astroglide
10-31-2005, 11:49 PM
i looked at the mgs4 direct-feed trailer on ign insider before i left work. the graphics are excellent (although making snake look like a 60 year-old pirate is pretty weird). i'm very impressed if it wasn't actually pre-rendered. they're claiming it's not, of course.

11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but I would so do your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-01-2005, 04:29 AM
PS3 preview:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/

Once the PS3 arrives the competition will be over for a while...

Femto
11-01-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? comparing 3d computer rendering software to a low-resolution outdated video game console? try comparing the ps2 to ANY GAMING VIDEO CARD you can buy on the market. apples and oranges. it took six hours for very fast computers to render a frame of toy story. this does not mean the ps2 is technically superior because it can render 30fps of GTA3.

11-01-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Incorect. Also, you realize a PS2 is rendering at 480x440 resolution? Your statement is entirely false.

11-01-2005, 05:49 AM
consoles have the hardware edge over computers in one area only: processing power. not because they have superior technology, or anything like that, but because instead of running 25 processes and a game, the entire processor is being used to process the main function of a game.

stabn
11-01-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
consoles have the hardware edge over computers in one area only: they are standardized.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-01-2005, 06:02 AM
well that would make two areas... although I dealt with that in earlier posts.

However, Xbox is kinda trying to get rid of that, with an HDD "upgrade" for the system.

Watch for them to start building constant console upgrades, if not in this console generation, then by the next.

toss
11-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have a link showing the Revolution controller in action? I'm dying to see how clever it is.

w_alloy
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
PS2 has sold 4 times as many consoles as xbox. This (http://journal.pcvsconsole.com/?thread=14306) is the only data I can find to back this up atm, but I have heard other numbers quoted very similiar to this. They continue to sell more, even in the US (http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067) (I couldnt find any data more recent, but the total sales are the most inmportant and these can't have changed too much in the past 6-10 months).

A market share this huge will be extremely hard to overcome. A release date a year ahead of the PS3, will help, but even if microsoft doubled their market share, they would still be way behind globally.

So far, this hasnt been a console race, it has been a slaughter. This isnt like ABC vs CBS, this is closer to ABC vs TBS, in terms of market share. Saying TBS has a vastly superior fall lineup, assuming this is comepletely true, is mostly irrelivent in the overall win or lose ratings because there is too much ground to catch up.

astroglide
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12661

here's the ms quote claiming they'll never do hddvd-based games with the 360

astroglide
11-01-2005, 07:58 PM
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/revolution.ars

links to known specs for the xbox 360/ps3 and conjecture about the revolution

11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS2 has sold 4 times as many consoles as xbox. This (http://journal.pcvsconsole.com/?thread=14306) is the only data I can find to back this up atm, but I have heard other numbers quoted very similiar to this. They continue to sell more, even in the US (http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067) (I couldnt find any data more recent, but the total sales are the most inmportant and these can't have changed too much in the past 6-10 months).

A market share this huge will be extremely hard to overcome. A release date a year ahead of the PS3, will help, but even if microsoft doubled their market share, they would still be way behind globally.

So far, this hasnt been a console race, it has been a slaughter. This isnt like ABC vs CBS, this is closer to ABC vs TBS, in terms of market share. Saying TBS has a vastly superior fall lineup, assuming this is comepletely true, is mostly irrelivent in the overall win or lose ratings because there is too much ground to catch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is absolutely, damn near 100% due to it coming out so much sooner. Every single time that I asked why someone would buy a new ps2, after theirs inevitably broke, instead of the better xbox... the response was "cuz I already have all the games"

another reason is that so many consoles broke. As a store manager, I could name you hundreds of customers that bought two or three ps2s. Not to mention how many people bought the "thin" ps2 which had no fan or proper heatsink, and actually caused FIRES in cars in houston.

SomethingClever
11-01-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
after theirs inevitably broke

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard about PS2s breaking more than you'd expect...

I bought one of the very first ones and it's still going strong to this day.

stabn
11-01-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after theirs inevitably broke

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard about PS2s breaking more than you'd expect...

I bought one of the very first ones and it's still going strong to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fair number of xbox broke as well. Supposedly the failure rates of both products were not abnormal for the industry.

pokerdirty
11-04-2005, 12:33 AM
sony officialy retarded (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000813066433/)

11-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I know this is absolutely not going to matter to anyone, but I feel like I should spill.

When I was managing, we went to vegas for a mini-e3 just for our company.

Nintendo and Microsoft both blew our minds, totally took care of us and made sure we went home really excited about the profit.

Sony starts off by saying "We are not a game company... we are an entertainment company" Well [censored] that. from that point on I really didn't listen much, except that I got the distinct impression that they "knew" they were big dogs, and didnt have to work on keeping their customers.

This is more evidence of it.

astroglide
11-04-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sony officialy retarded (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000813066433/)

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a terrible move. the boomerang pads scare me much more than a revolution controller too.