PDA

View Full Version : Halloween and Kids these days

durron597
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
So I'm upstairs and a few kids walk up to my house and bang on the door. A few seconds later I hear the doorbell ring. It's not a hard to find doorbell.

So I open the door and see three girls, two princesses and a cat. I bring out the candy dish. They quietly take some and start to walk down the front porch. I say "Aren't you supposed to say something?" they all say "Thank you!"

*sigh*.

While I was writing the above post, the next group of kids comes up to the door and look at me expectantly. I try again "Aren't you supposed to say something?" These kids are a little smarter, despite the fact that I have a Jedi, Darth Vader, another princess and a hockey player. *sigh*. And then I see the kid standing behind them in a ghoul costume... who then comes up, and tries to grab a whole fistful of candy. Good thing his dad was right behind him or he probably would have made off with the whole bowl before I could stop him.

At least I should be glad they aren't egging my house.

Popinjay
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Next time just put an empty bowl by the door with a sign that says "Please take one"

durron597
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time just put an empty bowl by the door with a sign that says "Please take one"

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant.

stabn
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until that one kid comes along and takes the whole thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

trying2learn
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
hence the 'empty' part.

durron597
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant "the whole bowl and sign".

ClaytonN
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

/smack

diebitter
10-31-2005, 05:52 PM
I had fun. I dressed in a full-length black military poncho with hood, and a sort of black face mask so I appeared headless. I'm 6"3'.

On the doorbell, my kids opened the door and I staggered out towards them, groaning. I held out a pot candy in one hand. Some ran, some stood their ground.

Most satisfyingly, one said, as he walked away 'you're really sick, mate!'

My kids loved this!

PS. only did this on the teen ones - for little kids, I took it off, don't want to traumatise any of em

I had fun /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a kid want an empty bowl /images/graemlins/confused.gif

mosuavea
10-31-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than getting an egged house I would assume. Whatever makes the kid happy

10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Did you just recently move to your present location? I found out not too long ago, that telling jokes on halloween in exchange for candy is a regional thing, and not done everywhere.

10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
[censored] those little brats, I'm not answering the door at all tonight.

durron597
10-31-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Egg is really hard to clean

samjjones
10-31-2005, 06:07 PM
<font color="white"> By Odin's Beard! Ron Burgundy really is a cheap bastard! </font>

MrTrik
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife loves this [censored] and will be handling all the candy duties. I married well.

schwza
10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I held out a pot candy in one hand

[/ QUOTE ]

did you cook it into a butterfinger?

diebitter
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I held out a pot candy in one hand

[/ QUOTE ]

did you cook it into a butterfinger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol - it's amazing what trouble you can invite by missing out ' of '

Homer
10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Last year I answered the door and they didn't say anything. So I started answering the door without the candy bowl and asking them what they wanted. They said "candy".

durron597
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Last year I answered the door and they didn't say anything. So I started answering the door without the candy bowl and asking them what they wanted. They said "candy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, all night long. One kid said to her Mom "he's making us say 'Trick or Treat'!" Her Mom smiled at me and "that seems fair" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<font color="white">No, I did not SIIHP</font>

<font color="white">No, not the Mom nor the kid</font>

IndieMatty
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
I find it much easier if you drive around the neighborhood in a van with tinted windows; slow down on the street and approach a few kids (no more then 4) . Roll down the window and tell them you'll drive them to a place where they can get all the candy they want.

10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it much easier if you drive around the neighborhood in a van with tinted windows; slow down on the street and approach a few kids (no more then 4) . Roll down the window and tell them you'll drive them to a place where they can get all the candy they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, there's a new law in Illinois that makes it illegal for sex offenders to answer the door for trick-or-treaters.

And no, smartass, I'm not refusing to answer my door tonight because I'm required by law.

mmbt0ne
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS. only did this on the teen ones - for little kids, I took it off, don't want to traumatise any of em

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommate did this last year. Only, he wore two masks. When one of the kids got really scared, and the mom said, "take off the mask, show her you're not really a monster" he took off the top monster mask, and had a skeleton mask on underneath. The kid ran away screaming.

durron597
10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, there's a new law in Illinois that makes it illegal for sex offenders to answer the door for trick-or-treaters.

And no, smartass, I'm not refusing to answer my door tonight because I'm required by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one said anything, what are you so worried about???

phil_ivey_fan
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm upstairs and a few kids walk up to my house and bang on the door. A few seconds later I hear the doorbell ring. It's not a hard to find doorbell.

So I open the door and see three girls, two princesses and a cat. I bring out the candy dish. They quietly take some and start to walk down the front porch. I say "Aren't you supposed to say something?" they all say "Thank you!"

*sigh*.

While I was writing the above post, the next group of kids comes up to the door and look at me expectantly. I try again "Aren't you supposed to say something?" These kids are a little smarter, despite the fact that I have a Jedi, Darth Vader, another princess and a hockey player. *sigh*. And then I see the kid standing behind them in a ghoul costume... who then comes up, and tries to grab a whole fistful of candy. Good thing his dad was right behind him or he probably would have made off with the whole bowl before I could stop him.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be a loser, hand out BK Breakfasts
http://www.planet-tron.com/2p2/bk.jpg

ddubois
10-31-2005, 07:56 PM
When I was a kid, my dad followed me around to each house, staying at the sidewalk. Every couple of houses, he'd ask me if I had said thank you, and if I hadn't, I'd have to give him his choice of one of my candies. You learn to say thank you -- oh yes, you learn.

I always announced "trick or treat" when they opened the door, that was never even an issue. [censored], I mean, you have to say something when they open the door - how the hell do these kids just stand around?!

Maybe I'll do this: I'll put a sign up informing them: "You must say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you', and if they don't, rather than giving them candy, I'll just eat a piece in front of them.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And then I see the kid standing behind them in a ghoul costume... who then comes up, and tries to grab a whole fistful of candy. Good thing his dad was right behind him or he probably would have made off with the whole bowl before I could stop him.

[/ QUOTE ]

bald [censored]

Colonel Kataffy
10-31-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you just recently move to your present location? I found out not too long ago, that telling jokes on halloween in exchange for candy is a regional thing, and not done everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is this the custom?

swede123
10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I think Jake told a story of people doing this when he used to live in Missouri? Or was it Michigan? Anyway, this is a pretty cool custom, I'd definitely up the candy ante if I had a four year old trying to tell me some silly joke.

Swede

TimTimSalabim
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hence the 'empty' part.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He can sell it on EBay.

Buffalo 66 = awesome movie, BTW.

10-31-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll do this: I'll put a sign up informing them: "You must say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you', and if they don't, rather than giving them candy, I'll just eat a piece in front of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me chuckle

tom441lbk
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
i just had well over 100 kids in the last hour, non stop, went through 5 bags of candy like it was nothing

MelchyBeau
10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I have the lights off, yet they still knock. That makes me angry.

Melch

OtisTheMarsupial
10-31-2005, 10:21 PM
We got a bunch who didn't bother to dress up. I tried to help one girl out and asked her if she was "summer camp counselor." She stared at the candy and muttered that she was "herself."

Back in my day, if I didn't want to dress up I just said I was some random B movie actor without make-up or I dressed in black and called myself night sky. But these kids these days...

RunDownHouse
10-31-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is this the custom?

[/ QUOTE ]
Midwest, at least.

To diebitter: they actually have Halloween in England? When I was in Germany a few years ago, it seemed like it was trying to catch on - a few places decorated for it - but for the most part it was regarded as strictly an American custom.

durron597
10-31-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We got a bunch who didn't bother to dress up. I tried to help one girl out and asked her if she was "summer camp counselor." She stared at the candy and muttered that she was "herself."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's pathetic. She could have at least quoted "The Addams Family" or something, at least that might be slightly amusing.

gorie
11-01-2005, 12:16 AM
there was this group of 3 little girls, they said trick or treat, i told them they could pick a piece of candy. each took one. and as they turned to walk away, another little girl and her mom came up- when she said 'trick or treat' , a girl from the previous group heard this , and immediately turned around and grabbed another piece of candy !!
i guess she thought i wouldn't notice.? what a little brat.

pokerdirty
11-01-2005, 12:18 AM
NYC

[censored] tourists/LI/Westchester kids drive into the city to go to the Village parade. Drunk people everywhere. Increased street traffic w/ cars &amp; pedestrians. Drunk people wander in the street. Cabs and foreigners honk horns. Cars behind them honk horns.

JUST SHUT THE [censored] UP SO I CAN GET SOME [censored] SLEEP YOU [censored] NUTS.

Thythe
11-01-2005, 12:21 AM
So far only 3 people have come to my door. Now I have a full bowl of candy and no trick or treaters. I don't even eat candy. The garbage is going to get a lot of Snickers bars.

SoloAJ
11-01-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So far only 3 people have come to my door. Now I have a full bowl of candy and no trick or treaters. I don't even eat candy. The garbage is going to get a lot of Snickers bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

GO sit on your front porch and start throwing the Snickers at the bastard college and high school kids who go out exploiting a custom intended for children.

PoBoy321
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Those danged whippersnappers! What with their newfangled cinemas and rock music!