PDA

View Full Version : No balls in my son's sack. He's 6. Surgery needed?

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 05:30 PM
No, I wasn't feeling the kid up.

I've been without health insurance for a few months, so when I took the kid in, the doc decided he could pad the bill with a physical.

When the problem was discovered, he said he'd recommend a urologist to take a look. He said he'd need to find one who took Medicaid, and would get back to us with a name.

Instead, I get a call from an appointment center, telling me to take the kid to the surgery clinic at the Childrens Hospital on January 3. The girl booking appointments, of course, can shed no light on anything but the world of appointments.

Obviously, I'll be looking for a MEDICALLY LICENSED second opinion before wheeling the kid in for surgery, and this post is not intended to replace that (so don't bother with, "Don't ask us, ask a doctor," as I intend to do both).

Anybody got a son who was late, uh, laying those eggs?

jakethebake
10-31-2005, 05:32 PM
You have a 6 year old and no insurance? Wtf?

phixxx
10-31-2005, 05:34 PM
I've heard about children who have gone for much longer than 6 years without their balls dropping. I wouldn't worry TOO much, but I may go and see the doctor. If I recall correctly, there's some sort of drink that helps them decend?

Or maybe I'm wrong.

wh1t3bread
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
First of all...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second of all. A quick google search unearthed this site. (http://www.medhelp.org/HealthTopics/Undescended.html)

By reading around here for about 5 seconds it looks like your kid is under a much greater risk of testicular cancer if the problem isn't corrected. So hurry up and make that appointment.

istewart
10-31-2005, 05:36 PM
POTD if this isn't true.

POTY if it is.

samjjones
10-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I knew a kid who had this same affliction...had surgery when he was a little bit older. Its not as rare as you may think. Not sure if surgery at 6 is "too early", however. Everything turned out fine by his account.

LALDAAS
10-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Balls dropping WTF...I didnt know this.

10-31-2005, 05:39 PM
My cousin had a similar problem, he was 5 years old when they discovered it. His testicles had not descended to his scrotum. He had surgery and the problem was fixed. He's in his early twenties now, and I have not heard about any problems.

10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My cousin had a similar problem, he was 5 years old when they discovered it. His testicles had not descended to his scrotum. He had surgery and the problem was fixed. He's in his early twenties now, and I have not heard about any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] did the parents not notice until he was 6? Did they not bathe him? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

drewjustdrew
10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
It increases the risk of testicular cancer the longer they are up there. Also, when they reach puberty, supposedly there are discomfort issues. I had mine surgically dropped when I was about 10 and haven't had any issues to my knowledge since then. I also have a friend who needs it, but hasn't had it done. He says there is some discomfort sometimes. He has had children though, so no problem there.

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down. Not that I owe you any explanation, but he had insurance the first five-and-three-quarters years of his life, when I was working for The Man. The Man cut me loose, and it would be a few months before my wife would be eligible for health bennies.

That small window of exposure is irrelevent to this discussion. I'm sure his balls didn't say, "No bennies? We're outta here! RETREAT!"

10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] did the parents not notice until he was 6? Did they not bathe him? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll ask my aunt at the next family reunion.

drewjustdrew
10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll ask my aunt at the next family reunion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is something that is permanent or from birth. I think they "go up" sometimes. When relaxed, they can come back down. So it's possible they were down during bathing.

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's it. We didnt' bathe him.

WTF is the matter with some of you guys???

His mother gives the baths. She, literally, doesn't know dick. She had no brothers.

I was working long hours a few years ago, and toilet training him fell to my wife, and her mother. One day I take him to the bathroom in a restaurant, and he reaches for the toilet paper to wipe his prick after he's done pissing. These women had no idea that it should be shaken, not wiped.

I've never given the kid a bath myself. My wife has always done it. I've got three kids, he's the only boy, and I haven't given Bath One yet.

citanul
10-31-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His mother gives the baths. She, literally, doesn't know dick. She had no brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys must have a hell of a sex life.

c

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
I taught her everything she knows. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You should've been there for her first orgasm. I WAS.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
I too have heard that they often come down naturally, and at much later years than merely six years old. I don't know about your kid and your case and sure am not a doctor, but am just relating that I've heard that it's not necessarily a really big deal, much less one that requires immediate surgery.

MelK
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Whats the problem?

I hear grandkids are highly overrated anyway.

gamblore99
10-31-2005, 06:07 PM
what happened to the first doctor, why didn't he tell you the risks. I would call him and ask him how urgent this is.

10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I taught her everything she knows. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You should've been there for her first orgasm. I WAS.

[/ QUOTE ]

They still make virgins? Where can I get one?

Blarg
10-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Nothing wrong with dabbing it with TP. Cleaner than just a shake. If even a drop or two strayed from the hole and flattened out on the glans, a dick can be pretty wet even after a shake. This is not the kind of cleanliness worth discouraging(not much is), and definitely doesn't need to be tangled up in any "shoulds" or macho factors.

Ulysses
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really confused.

Sephus
10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She, literally, doesn't know dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean she literally doesnt know balls.

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what happened to the first doctor, why didn't he tell you the risks. I would call him and ask him how urgent this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife took the kid to the doctor, and predictably, didn't know the first thing that he was talking about. Had I known this would come up, I would've been there. I'll definitely be handling this from here on out.

Like I said, I was waiting for them to make us an appointment with a urologist, and instead I was assigned an appointment for surgery. I WILL be talking to the original family doctor, and almost certainly a urologist, before sending the kid in for surgery. But I really don't know much about this subject myself, and was looking for input for my own edification, so I don't sound like a dope at the doctor's office.

A lot of helpful replies in this thread. Thanks to all.

Well, almost all.

Skipbidder
10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I too have heard that they often come down naturally, and at much later years than merely six years old. I don't know about your kid and your case and sure am not a doctor, but am just relating that I've heard that it's not necessarily a really big deal, much less one that requires immediate surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not particularly good advice. True undescended testicles carry increased risk for testicular torsion, infertility, and malignancy.

Undescended testes at age 1 are already cause for concern. Few would recommend delaying surgery any later than age 2.

There was a non-surgical option available, but it is currently 4-5 years too late for it.

If these are true undescended testes, then OP will be very, very hard-pressed to find a doc who wouldn't be recommending surgery right now.

It is simply mind-boggling that they could be undescended testes if the child has been getting well-child exams along the way, however.

If the child has not had well-child exams then the OP has been quite negligent. Given that the OP said that doing a physical exam on his son was "padding the bill", I do still consider this to be a live possibility.

10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is the matter with some of you guys???

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've never given the kid a bath myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not exactly heading for parent of the year award here. No insurance, you've never given him a bath, only recently taken him for a piss. Do you know his name?

youtalkfunny
10-31-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is simply mind-boggling that they could be undescended testes if the child has been getting well-child exams along the way, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been getting those "well-child" exams annually. Wifey says this is the first "well-child exam" where his pants were removed.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
You misconstrue. It wasn't advice; as I noted, I was just saying what I've heard. Most particularly to note that it's probably not urgent, as in, maybe he could wait till he gets a job so he isn't financially devastated by it. It doesn't sound like one of those things that you have to be wheeled into the emergency room for right away. Particularly as people can have it for years. I've heard of people having this at much older ages without ill effect, and also having them drop naturally at much later ages, like in the early teens. Perhaps it's better to have it done under insurance rather than breaking dad's financial back when he's out of work.

Skipbidder
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been getting those "well-child" exams annually. Wifey says this is the first "well-child exam" where his pants were removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest requesting copies of old check-ups. This is a very serious omission. Ask her if it's always the same doc who has seen your son along the way. Straightforwardly substandard care if everything happened as you have described it so far.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
I had to laugh, but it sounds like there's some uncomfortable truth in this. How could neither mother nor father realize their kid hasn't got any nuts in his sack for SIX YEARS?

Something sounds very wrong there. Perhaps too strictly defined sex roles, or prudishness, or irresponsibility, or something. I mean, heck, how could a woman not know that dudes need balls? How could a dad not know his young son's anatomy?

Then again, I got staggered when a few OOTiots said they had never even seen their dad's junk in a recent thread. I guess I'm easily surprised.

daryn
10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Then again, I got staggered when a few OOTiots said they had never even seen their dad's junk in a recent thread. I guess I'm easily surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am still wondering about that one. what are the circumstances?

drewjustdrew
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
You will know he is padding the bill when he all of a sudden discovers a double hernia and fixes it while he's in there. This happened to me and my brother.

In my case, at 10 or 11, it was identified during a school physical. The school wouldn't let me take gym without it being fixed for some reason???

Skipbidder
10-31-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You It doesn't sound like one of those things that you have to be wheeled into the emergency room for right away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Testicular torsion is a true surgical emergency. The boy is at increased risk for this condition. Sounds like they are Medicaid-eligible, as well, which might make this an affordable proposition.

I think you are combining refractile testes and true undescended testes in your comments.

utmt40
10-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Man this sucks. I hope all works out for you and your family.

daryn
10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will know he is padding the bill when he all of a sudden discovers a double hernia and fixes it while he's in there. This happened to me and my brother.

In my case, at 10 or 11, it was identified during a school physical. The school wouldn't let me take gym without it being fixed for some reason???

[/ QUOTE ]

i had this done also at around the same age, and yes there was a hernia also. i only had one straggler btw

hoopsie44
10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 40 million people in the same boat in this country.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry, as I say, I'm no expert and no doctor. My understanding was merely that he had undescended testes with nothing wrong with them. If he had something already wrong going on besides the simple lack of descent, I definitely wouldn't be saying perhaps you could wait a few weeks or a couple of months. I was just thinking that if there's nothing going on that isn't a true emergency or immediately significant, the financial consequences of surgery to an unemployed guy could be fairly devastating. If he can qualify for Medicaid or something, that would change things too. I wouldn't want him to leave his son sick or injured, of course.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in the circumcision thread that got so big. It was up just a few days ago. People were talking about the effect of a kid seeing his pecker looking different from his dad, and a few chimed in that they had never even seen their dad's pecker. I thought that was really bizarre.

daryn
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in the circumcision thread that got so big. It was up just a few days ago. People were talking about the effect of a kid seeing his pecker looking different from his dad, and a few chimed in that they had never even seen their dad's pecker. I thought that was really bizarre.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know.. i was asking what were the circumstances of seeing your dad's penis. i have never and thought it was pretty weird that so many had.

Skipbidder
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I was just trying to make the distinction between lack of descent (ever) of his testes (which is something that ought to be taken care of sooner rather than later if possible) and retractile testicles (which strongly tend to pop back up...due to an exagerration of a reflex called the cremasteric reflex).

If it's the former case, then I think you are presenting far too cavalier an attitude about it. If it's the latter, then I'm considerably less concerned.

drewjustdrew
10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had this done also at around the same age, and yes there was a hernia also. i only had one straggler btw

[/ QUOTE ]

I had only one as well, but he fixed them both for good measure! Damn, my parents went along with anything!

Dominic
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
i don't get it, do you mean they haven't dropped down into his sack yet?

ddubois
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I should think that being a virgin and knowing that ballsacks contain balls are fairly distinct.

But that's not the purpose of my post. I wanted to talk about a related experience I had. When I was young, I remember going to the doctor. I have no idea how old I was - maybe 7, maybe 12, I really don't know. I remember the doctor feeling around my nuts. This was very uncomfortable. I did not like some old guy feeling around my nuts. His hands were cold. Understandly, I tensed up, and the act of doing so caused some mucles constracting that lifted my testicles upwards. (BTW, I can still do this. Everyone can do this, right? I assume I'm not some testicular-lifting freak, if I am, let me know.) Anyways, this doctor ends up telling my mom that I have some condition where my testicles haven't descended or are partially descended or something like that. Fortunately, nothing further was done and no one tried to cut me around there. Whether this is because my doctor said not to worry and revist the issue later, or because my mother was smart enough (or negligent enough) to ignore him, I don't know.

MrX
11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
you may have read these:

emedicine: Cryptorchidism (kind of technical article) (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2707.htm)

What is an Undescended Testicle (Cryptorchidism)?: not too technical (http://www.vh.org/pediatric/patient/urology/faq/undescendedtesticle.html)

Your son will be fine, but this should have been discovered by now.

X

daryn
11-01-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know.. i was asking what were the circumstances of seeing your dad's penis. i have never and thought it was pretty weird that so many had.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked
11-01-2005, 12:45 AM
I had one undescended until I was 12. They were just talking about surgery when it dropped on its own.

At 33, I had testicular cancer. Oddly enough (to me), the tumor hit in what I considered my 'good one'.

Surgeon told me that it wasn't the fact that the nut was in my abdomen for so long that caused the cancer, but that the same condition was to blame for both issues.

I had one round of chemo after the surgery.

I have sired a robustly healthy daughter since.

One nut and all, that makes me a very lucky man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kipin
11-01-2005, 12:47 AM
From MrX's second link.

[ QUOTE ]
Cosmesis

Placement of the testicle in the scrotum makes the scrotum look normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think any scrotums look "normal".

Blarg
11-01-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the shower, when changing clothes at home and before using the public swimming pool, and after coming out of it, when either one of us was taking a whiz or both at once. My brothers and dad and I all saw each other's peckers a million times. All of us helped wash the family's babies, too.

Jim Kuhn
11-01-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

............ and you were wondering where those dents in my forehead came from?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

tonypaladino
11-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Am I the only one who just checked to make sure my balls are both in proper place?

jakethebake
11-01-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 40 million people in the same boat in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. There are not 40 million people that can't afford some form of insurance, which saying they're "in the same boat" implies. They should get their asses out of that boat.

bobbyi
11-03-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who just checked to make sure my balls are both in proper place?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you really not capable of checking them by yourself?

TxSteve
11-03-2005, 01:04 AM
first of all- don't they have COBRA where you live? or is that exclusive to Texas or something? And, if the kid was only without insurance for 3 months while you were waiting for your wife to be eligible for benefits...why you get him a physical in that time.

2nd- "His mother gives the baths. She, literally, doesn't know dick. She had no brothers"

implying that if she'd had brothers...she would be intimately familiar with the male genitalia?