PDA

View Full Version : (NC) Okay, I give up...What is the origin of the term "pwn?"

10-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Sorry, I've been around the forums a few months now, and I can't hold my tongue any longer. What is the origin of the term "pwn" commonly used in contexts such as "I pwned him," "I am pwning right now," "you got pwned," etc. I have seen that on this forum and other poker forums. It seems like it would be some sort of derivative of "own" or "pawn" or something. Sorry, curiosity got the cat on this one. If you insist on flaming me for not knowing, please (a) be gentle, and (b) maybe answer the question whilst you flame.

Thanks, Jimmy

durron597
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Starcraft mistype (since the O is next to the P)

handsome
10-31-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Counterstrike typo (since the O is next to the P)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

TYVM, I can be at peace now.

Hornacek
Didn't starcraft come first? pwning is so r0x0r and l33t.

pooh74
10-31-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

starcraft??? I first noticed it playing halflife and counterstrike online in late 90s...and yes its the "own" mistype...

wtf is starcraft?

jedinite
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

[ QUOTE ]
One of the ideas of its origin comes from the hacker subculture. Password Own meant that a person owned the root password, and thus no one but the password owner could access that machine any longer. Password owning is such a powerful way to lock down a Unix machine that it explains how pwn could have gained popularity in online gaming as a more powerful version of own.

Of all these theories, the most probable origin is hacker subculture. Examples of its use can be traced as far back as 1986 in an early issue (volume 1, issue 7) of the hacker zine Phrack. That would place its usage well before games like Quake or Warcraft were played.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the Wiki was the second link for a search of "pwn" in Google. Urban Dictionary was #1. Trying Google (or even Wikipedia directly) before 2+2 / other random message board will usually give you a faster & more reliable result. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cactus Jack
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

starcraft??? I first noticed it playing halflife and counterstrike online in late 90s...and yes its the "own" mistype...

wtf is starcraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

What people were playing when you were playing with Elmo. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jedinite
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is starcraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0f/StarCraft.front_cover.jpg/200px-StarCraft.front_cover.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft

durron597
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Counterstrike typo (since the O is next to the P)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have sworn it was Starcraft but I have no reason to disbelieve you.

Cactus Jack
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Starcraft came after Red Alert but well before Half Life. '96, I think.

I could easily buy the Unix reference, as "pwn" is a command. I have heard it was a Starcraft event which immediately became prt of the klture.

CJ

pooh74
10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is starcraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

What people were playing when you were playing with Elmo. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not proud of it, but I am older than you...just not as geeky! /images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k

edit: Started on Odyssey in 80, then Atari 2600 in 81...

What's Elmo? I had Mr. Hooper...

Cactus Jack
10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Man, if you ARE older than me, you should be proud of it. To get this old was drawing to a one-outer. Just surviving the 70s was a gutshot straight-flush. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I started with DOS 3.3, in my 30s with a Packard-Bell XT. I go way back.

CJ

pooh74
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, if you ARE older than me, you should be proud of it. To get this old was drawing to a one-outer. Just surviving the 70s was a gutshot straight-flush. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I started with DOS 3.3, in my 30s with a Packard-Bell XT. I go way back.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you're older...(and geekier ;0)

Dos 3.3 in your 30's?!?! I had to go to my friend's house to play "Hardball" on the Vic-20 (or 64?!?). Anyway, my apologies! When you post on a board with a bunch of 20 somethings it makes you feel, well, geezerish.

pooh74
10-31-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Starcraft came after Red Alert but well before Half Life. '96, I think.

I could easily buy the Unix reference, as "pwn" is a command. I have heard it was a Starcraft event which immediately became prt of the klture.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

On the link you posted it wasnt even introduced to market until 98'...counterstrike pwns witchcraft...gg

durron597
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Edit: didn't see jedinite's first post before making this one, oops

Wikipedia rules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn)

[ QUOTE ]

Other theories of origination
<ul type="square"> A widely accepted origin of the term traces back to the misspelling of the phrase "owned" by a top (or highly skilled) player of the game Quake. The term quickly spread to less significant players; eventually expanding to virtually the entire population of online gamers.
One story reports that in an RTS game (either WarCraft II or StarCraft), someone made a custom map where losing players would see a special message. However, instead of typing in "YOU WERE OWNED," a typo resulted in "YOU WERE PWNED." It is said that every use of the word pwn therefore comes from this one hapless misspelling, or a similar one occurring in another game. This theory is most prevalent.
One explanation is that the word's development mirrors the development of names given to popular programming languages. The 'C Programming Language' was given its name as the next letter after an even earlier 'B'. 'C++' was the name given to the next iterative revision of C, an inside programming joke whereby '++' increases the referent (in this case C) by a value of 1. By the same logic [with the letter 'p' acting as a '++'], the word pwn represents own incremented by a value of 1.
Some people believe that the word was originally a contraction of the term power-owned, pure ownage, pistol-owned, perfectly owned, personally owned, ping-owned, player-owned, professionally owned, powerfully owned, or properly owned or the words Pimped and owned combined. These are probably back-formations.
Still another interpretation makes the case that pwned was not an accident, but instead a contraction of the word pawned. This theory is based upon the idea that the person who was defeated was owned, and then pawned off, as an item would be at a pawnshop (see pawnbroker). It can also be a reference to the weakest piece in the game of chess, the pawn.
One of the ideas of its origin comes from the hacker subculture. Password Own meant that a person owned the root password, and thus no one but the password owner could access that machine any longer. Password owning is such a powerful way to lock down a Unix machine that it explains how pwn could have gained popularity in online gaming as a more powerful version of own.
Another theory supports the idea that pwned originated on gaming forums after the word owned was banned. Administrators banned the word to try to keep flame wars down, and as a result, forum users merely changed the spelling to get past any auto-censors in place. (See also article on Pr0n).
An extension of 'owned', the idea being that you cannot pawn something/someone (sell it to a pawnbroker) unless you have already owned it/them. "You didn't just own them dude, you pawned/pwned them". The popular DOTA Allstars custom map for Warcraft III pops up a message saying "A just pawned B's head for C gold" everytime a player kills another player.
There are some who also believe that pwn is actually a 1337 way of typing "I own." The p is simply the 'I' and the 'o' combined into one letter. Hence, "pwned j00" could be directly translated as "I owned you"
[/list]
Of all these theories, the most probable origin is hacker subculture. Examples of its use can be traced as far back as 1986 in an early issue (volume 1, issue 7) of the hacker zine Phrack. That would place its usage well before games like Quake or Warcraft were played.

[/ QUOTE ]

pooh74
10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll go with Quake...it predates all except Doom.

ps...while Zee J and those guys were playing Magic and developing their game/logic skills, I was friggin wasting my time on hand-eye coordination in a HL and CS clan.

At least I can fold the fastest on an A-high flop and I never misclick!

p

ilya
10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: didn't see jedinite's first post before making this one, oops

Wikipedia rules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn)

[ QUOTE ]

Other theories of origination
<ul type="square"> A widely accepted origin of the term traces back to the misspelling of the phrase "owned" by a top (or highly skilled) player of the game Quake. The term quickly spread to less significant players; eventually expanding to virtually the entire population of online gamers.
One story reports that in an RTS game (either WarCraft II or StarCraft), someone made a custom map where losing players would see a special message. However, instead of typing in "YOU WERE OWNED," a typo resulted in "YOU WERE PWNED." It is said that every use of the word pwn therefore comes from this one hapless misspelling, or a similar one occurring in another game. This theory is most prevalent.
One explanation is that the word's development mirrors the development of names given to popular programming languages. The 'C Programming Language' was given its name as the next letter after an even earlier 'B'. 'C++' was the name given to the next iterative revision of C, an inside programming joke whereby '++' increases the referent (in this case C) by a value of 1. By the same logic [with the letter 'p' acting as a '++'], the word pwn represents own incremented by a value of 1.
Some people believe that the word was originally a contraction of the term power-owned, pure ownage, pistol-owned, perfectly owned, personally owned, ping-owned, player-owned, professionally owned, powerfully owned, or properly owned or the words Pimped and owned combined. These are probably back-formations.
Still another interpretation makes the case that pwned was not an accident, but instead a contraction of the word pawned. This theory is based upon the idea that the person who was defeated was owned, and then pawned off, as an item would be at a pawnshop (see pawnbroker). It can also be a reference to the weakest piece in the game of chess, the pawn.
Another theory supports the idea that pwned originated on gaming forums after the word owned was banned. Administrators banned the word to try to keep flame wars down, and as a result, forum users merely changed the spelling to get past any auto-censors in place. (See also article on Pr0n).
An extension of 'owned', the idea being that you cannot pawn something/someone (sell it to a pawnbroker) unless you have already owned it/them. "You didn't just own them dude, you pawned/pwned them". The popular DOTA Allstars custom map for Warcraft III pops up a message saying "A just pawned B's head for C gold" everytime a player kills another player.
There are some who also believe that pwn is actually a 1337 way of typing "I own." The p is simply the 'I' and the 'o' combined into one letter. Hence, "pwned j00" could be directly translated as "I owned you"
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best explanations in order are:

hacker subculture
programming joke
all others

although given the spread of jopke and mrono, i suppose the top-player theory has some credibility.

Cactus Jack
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll go with Quake...it predates all except Doom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. It was Quake. I never played it. I was on the Civ II track. Turn-based were my games.

CJ

Cactus Jack
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok you're older...(and geekier ;0)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just turned a half-century.

10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
starcraft came after red alert

MegaBet
10-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Why do people find Google so hard to use? I mean, put "pwn" in the search field and click "Google Search". If that's too complicated for you, I feel sorry for your poker game.

vinyard
10-31-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best explanations in order are:

hacker subculture
programming joke
all others

although given the spread of jopke and mrono, i suppose the top-player theory has some credibility.

[/ QUOTE ] I think the best explanations are a combination of the two. That it was a top player who intentionally typed pwn against a familiar opponent he knew would understand it and possibly an a larger audience that might as well. Some of those top tier games would have hundreds of people watching an elite level match. Great players "played to the crowd" a ton on the first iterations of blizzard.net from what I remember. I know, for a fact that I saw it for the first time on the ladder against an elite player (I lost .... badly) in early summer of 1998. Never played Quake (or Marathon sadly) because I am in that 1% of people that get violently ill playing FPS.