PDA

View Full Version : Going all the way in reraised pots - you reraised OOP?

10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Hiya!
[Full ring, and full stacks]
Question – if you reraise strongly preflop from OOP with KK or AA, and get a caller. Will you most often risk your whole stack, or do you adjust to flop texture and/or your reads in any way?

I really don’t see any drawing-type hands staying in here – calling a RR with a SC after making a sneaky pfr with it surely is out of question if the RRer will bet the flop.

My thinking is that a sufficient size of the reraise will make calling for set value -EV. And calling a big reraise with AK must be a very fishy play that might loose a stack half the time it hits (K vs AA), thus very -EV. Thus, essentially any call must be an error if I always bet the flop properly after reraising. Thus, a strong player will fold or reraise AA preflop.

Situation:
You are in a blind (or limped in EP) with KK. You reraise a PFR from MP/LP. There are no limpers or callers in the pot. The PFR calls your reraise.
Thus, pot-size about 32-42BB’s [pfr=3-5bbs, RR=15-20bbs].

My current line is to bet all flops at about 75% of pot. That way I give no free cards, yet I might be able to do a “Houdini” if I somehow (magically) detect a set or AK-Ax hand that hit an A-high flop.
Betting 75% will often extract from lower overpairs like QQ-TT on low flops that just might fold to a full pot bet.

But perhaps one should sometimes check KK vs A-high flops? That seems very weak in a reraised pot, though.
So, are there situations when it is best to check the flop, or bet less than 75%?!

The one case I can think of is when a loose superfish opens in LP, and comes along to the flop. His pfr-range will include a ton of various crappy Ax-hands, and he just might decide to call a reraise with A6s just as well as with any PP, AK, AQ etc etc.
Against this particular opponent, a “safe” check with unimproved KK on A-high flop just might reduce variance.
And betting the A-high flop won’t extract a penny from QQ-99 or whatever missed.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanx,
Zal3

11-01-2005, 07:46 AM
bump - really no thots on the above?
say you RR HU from blinds with AA/KK and mix in a few (like 10%) of SC's - how do you usually go about the flop and beyond when you geta caller?

Do you ever check a flop (other than full houses and quads) or alwyas bet regardless?

/Zal3

/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Jimbio
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Here is my two cents.

Lets say i re-raise with KK out of the blinds and it comes all rags, i bet regardless. If it comes an A, well, then it's all villain dependant really. If i am up against a tricky opponent then i might just check to induce a bluff, or to avoid being pushed off the hand with air if villain tries to make a play on me - figuring me for KK, QQ, JJ.

But this is an interesting question as me myself is trying to implant more checks when being the pfr, taking a step away from the mindless aggression that used to be my name. Or is the high variance of CB:ing any flop more profitable? (lower, higher levels?)

Lets say the flop comes something along the lines of A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif. Then i bet 75% pot as there will be more hands out there that i am still a favourite against, will pay to draw, but hurt me if i give free cards.
Here's the catch though, and i need feedback on this one. If you get called on a draw-heavy board like this, you muct stick to your commitment and bet the turn aswell If you check the turn (offering a free card) and then bet the river, you let the draws off cheap while the A will call. Then check/call the river seems best as a blockingbet wont get called by a busted draw :P
But once again, this is opponent dependant.
Wow, i must say this got long fast, stay with me, read on, and please reply whether i am right or not :P

What is important to remember is that if AK hit a dry board, i like checking aswell, as there is basicly no cards that will hurt you, and you might get hands like QQ,JJ,air to bet.
I am not great at mixing up my plays, as i believe there is often a standard line against non-thinking(lvl 1, 2) opponents (at the 50NL lvl)

My main line is that OOP it is very scary to play a big pot with middle pair, yet, it might be weak to fold KK on a A high board vs. <u>some</u> opponents, while it is common sense among others. (your example about a donkeys A6s)

Ojo_Rojo
11-01-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But perhaps one should sometimes check KK vs A-high flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do most of the time. If you suspect your opponent would fold a weak ace, then a bet would be good. Otherwise, if you bet, often QQ/JJ/TT will fold, and only an ace will call. Which is bad.
Checking will also often result in incorrect "Value Bets" from opponents with QQ/JJ/TT on later streets.

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that a sufficient size of the reraise will make calling for set value -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I feel I've made a large enough raise/reraise preflop w/AA/KK and an overcard doesnt appear on the flop, (barring obvious reads) I consider myself pot committed.

Ojo_Rojo