PDA

View Full Version : An AA hand

JTG51
06-13-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm trying again to play a little stud, I'm still definitely a newbie though.

This hand is from a 3/6 home game with a $.50 ante and a $1 bring in. We're playing 6 handed at the moment.

3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif brings it in
8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif folds
I raise with (A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ) Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
K /forums/images/icons/club.gif reraises (he has a short stack)
J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif folds
4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif folds
Bring in folds, we're heads up and I just call.

4th street:

(x,x) K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
(A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ) Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

He bets, I call.

5th street:

(x,x) K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
(A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ) Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

He bets, I raise, he calls.

6th street:

(x,x) K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
(A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ) Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

He check calls.

7th street:

He bets all in for $5. I call without improving.

How'd I do? Is this a routine play?

Andy B
06-13-2003, 12:14 AM
I think you played it very well. It is fairly routine. He has Kings, you have Aces, He probably thinks you have Queens, but by the time he figures out you have Aces, he's committed. He's short-stacked, and all the money's going in. It's just a question of when.

JTG51
06-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Thanks Andy. I have two follow up questions.

First, I planned on reraising on 3rd if someone else called. Would that be the best play?

Also, would I be better off reraising on 3rd if I had split aces and the K had still raised me? I thought that having the Q up made for the perfect chance for some deception.

Andy B
06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
With a third player in, deception becomes less important. Getting more money in with the best hand and/or knocking someone out become more important, so I'd tend to play straightforwardly and re-raise third if given the chance.

Making it two bets with an Ace showing looks pretty natural. The King won't fold, and you want it heads-up anyway, so go ahead and raise.

JTG51
06-13-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks again for the input, Andy. I think we misunderstood eachother a bit though.

Making it two bets with an Ace showing looks pretty natural. The King won't fold, and you want it heads-up anyway, so go ahead and raise.

I meant, if I raise with (AQ)A and still get 3-bet by the K, and everyone else folds, is 4-betting generally my best play now instead of just calling for deception. In other words, when he has position on me, and my hand is more obvious, is getting more money in the pot right away more important that a little deception? I always play in a more straight forward manner when I have poor position in hold'em, I'm wondering if the same idea holds true for stud.

Sorry if these questions are beginnerish. I've found that some hold'em ideas apply very well to stud, but many don't.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Quite routine. Not reraising again on 3rd is OK, because if you do, it screams aces in the hole. Now, if you make an open pair, he virtually knows you have aces up. You'd rather him think you have two queens, that way if you catch an ace or open pair, he'll keep playing.

You have to call on the end, even though you'll often be beaten. The pot is just too big, and once in a while you'll snap off a bluff.

al

patrick dicaprio
06-13-2003, 12:34 PM
what did you do on the river?? hopefully you called. i would call in this situation every time. as far as the rest of the hand you played it fine.

Pat

JTG51
06-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Yes, I called on 7th.

Thanks for the comments.