PDA

View Full Version : Overpair against extremely passive player

10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Hero has an aggressive image and is known to make many continuation bets. Villain is as passive as they come. He NEVER raises preflop & NEVER raises post-flop until the river (in which case he always raises all in w/ the nuts or near nets). He does actually bet but usually won't bet with less than top pair and is known to slow play big hands. In short, he is a horrible player ut is very frustrating to play against becase you neve know where you're at.

$10 SNG home game, started with 6, down to 5, starting cip count of 1500

Blinds:25/50, being raised every 20 minutes

Hero is SB with QsQc ($1500)
Villain is CO ($1700)

Action: 1 fold,Villain Calls, button folds, Hero raises to $200, BB folds, Villain calls

Flop:JdTd4d ($450)
Action: Hero bets 450, Villain calls
I was hoping to just take the pot down right here or at least offer my opponent improper drawing odds. My opponent could have a very wide range of hands here is he will sometimes call a flop bet by me with any pair or A high.

Turn:9c
Action: Hero pushes all in ($850)
My thinking at the time was that I wanted to end all action. Any bet made me pot committed and I didn't want him to outdraw me. It was a bet designed to protect my hand. I didn't want to give any free cards on that board and the pot was big enough to take down right there. I also tend to play a little looser because it only cost $10 but I would like to change this habit. I also picked up a couple possible outs w/ an OESD.

Anyone play the hand differently? Looking back on it I am wondering if a check-call on the turn would have been more appropriate. It risks giving a free card but also allows me to get away from my hand.

Simplistic
10-31-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero has an aggressive image and is known to make many continuation bets. Villain is as passive as they come. He NEVER raises preflop & NEVER raises post-flop until the river (in which case he always raises all in w/ the nuts or near nets). He does actually bet but usually won't bet with less than top pair and is known to slow play big hands. In short, he is a horrible player ut is very frustrating to play against becase you neve know where you're at.

$10 SNG home game, started with 6, down to 5, starting cip count of 1500

Blinds:25/50, being raised every 20 minutes

Hero is SB with QsQc ($1500)
Villain is CO ($1700)

Action: 1 fold,Villain Calls, button folds, Hero raises to $200, BB folds, Villain calls

Flop:JdTd4d ($450)
Action: Hero bets 450, Villain calls
I was hoping to just take the pot down right here or at least offer my opponent improper drawing odds. My opponent could have a very wide range of hands here is he will sometimes call a flop bet by me with any pair or A high.

Turn:9c
Action: Hero pushes all in ($850)
My thinking at the time was that I wanted to end all action. Any bet made me pot committed and I didn't want him to outdraw me. It was a bet designed to protect my hand. I didn't want to give any free cards on that board and the pot was big enough to take down right there. I also tend to play a little looser because it only cost $10 but I would like to change this habit. I also picked up a couple possible outs w/ an OESD.

Anyone play the hand differently? Looking back on it I am wondering if a check-call on the turn would have been more appropriate. It risks giving a free card but also allows me to get away from my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]once he calls the pot flop bet and a scare card hits i'm content to go to a cheapshowdown. might even check/fold.

pushing here isn't great because you're not getting called by too much you're ahead of except maybe AJ. the fact that a passive is calling has to ring alarm bells in your head.

10-31-2005, 03:17 PM
When I pushed I was simply hoping he folded. I didn't expect to be called by weaker hands. My thinking was that I wanted to offer my opponent improper drawing odds and any bet would make me pot committed so I pushed all of my chips in. I don't consider the 9 a scare card at all. If anything it helped me. I don't see my opponent calling with KQ here with 3 to the flush on the board. If the KQ includes the K of diamonds then there's an OUTSIDE chance he'd call the flop bet. He also would not call preflop w/ J9 or T9 so I don't worry about the 9. Another reason why I chose to push was because my opponent's possible hand range was so broad (given he knows I make continuation bets) and the pot was very significant and big enough to take down. That said, I am second guessing myself that checking may have been the best play. If he pushed I could then get off my hand but if he made a smaller bet I would have a hard decision (my opponent knows nothing about pot odds or implied odds so he usually underbets or overbets). Nonetheless, the 9 had no effect on my decision here except that it may have given me 6 extra outs w/ an OESD (I wouldn't count the diamonds).